Author Topic: Show us your - Fokker E.V  (Read 22913 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: Show us your - Fokker E.V
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2014, 01:57:53 AM »
Great Filip, that's just the sort of finish I'll be aiming for when I can get my crazy work life sorted out!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2014, 02:10:50 AM »
Wonderful Filip, these b&w photo's are magnificent. Like them more and more. Perfect build, congratulations.

Kind regards
Patrick

Online RAGIII

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2014, 12:28:42 PM »
Filip,
a magnificent build! As always the B&W photos really add a nice touvh!
RAGIII
PS: It is interesting how the Streaked and Multi Colored wing surfaces disappear in the B&W Photos!
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 04:35:09 AM »
Here are mine. The yellow one is converted from a Dr1. Mistakes made.The wing sits too high.Both have green wings.I couldn't.for the life of me mix the red tint to streak.

Offline radio

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 04:39:55 AM »
A very good conversation Modelnut. What scale is it?
Martin

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2014, 04:45:31 AM »
Most all my builds are 72nd. The bumble bee is Revell with a wing made from a vinyl blind slat and styrene. The other one is Roden. The decals were excellent! THEY gave no troubles!
Thanks,Stan.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2014, 10:44:53 AM »
Really nice work in the Tiny scale! Anyone who makes a decent EV from a DR1 has my vote as a first class Modeler!
RAGIII

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2014, 10:22:58 PM »
Really nice work in the Tiny scale! Anyone who makes a decent EV from a DR1 has my vote as a first class Modeler!
RAGIII

Exactly! Well done, Stan.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline mgunns

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2014, 02:57:54 AM »
Great looking EV's all.  The wing may sit too high, but considering the effort it took to even do it, I like it!

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2014, 03:49:39 AM »
Hello All

May I present to you my take on the Eduard 1/48 Fokker E.V and thank all of you who helped in those early, busy days with references and advice, not least Zabu, ALBATROS and Trackpad. All the faults are mine alone.

First some notes on the finish.  Eduard ascribe this aeroplane to a mystery owner, perhaps from Jasta 8. Confusingly, the main art work on the box neither accords with the image on the side panel, nor with the decaling and finishing instructions.  Furthermore, the guidance is of an era when the entire upper and lower wing surfaces were thought to be a plain olive, perhaps with the signs of streaking.

IMG_4765 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

I am only aware of one photo of this aircraft, which Zabu found for me. It provides a view inside a hanger, taken from the starboard, forward quarter looking back towards the tail. The snake and rabbit emblem are shown clearly enough. For the wing surface, we just have to extrapolate from any clues in the photo; perhaps the original negative might help us more.

Without absolute consensus, the current orthodoxy seems to rule out plain olive finishes on the wings. Instead, it points us towards bands of coloured wood stain, streakily applied: two colours on the upper surface and two below. What appears uncertain is the number of bands, with the sources provided for me suggesting between 3 and 10. The colour profiles kindly provided by Gary (Trackpad), vary from 3-7; Dan San Abot (DsA) felt this might extend to up to 10 and in my early construction notes I tried to map out how this might look.  From Gary’s images, where the number of upper surface bands was odd, the extra one seems always to have been green.

To add further confusion there appears an element of doubt as to whether these bands of colour were, when viewed from the upper trailing edge, angled as a forward slash, or a backward slash; DsA raised the possibility of the latter. In the absence of a direct plan view of this mystery aircraft, I’ve gone for four forward-slashed bands on each wing surface.

The next challenge concerned the actual colours employed. In casual terms we are talking about a green, an earthy brown, a blue and a variant of a purple, but these words hardly convey the true sense of a finish that seemed heavily streaked anyway. Aesthetically, I prefer the tones used by Rick (RAGIII)  in his magnificent E.V build, but I have gone along the lines of those used by Filip (xmald)  in his equally fine work, although banding it in different ways. I’ve attempted through the medium of oil paints to capture, if non-too successfully, the colour swatches and Ronny Bar artwork in Volume 2 of  Achim Sven Engels’ (Fokker Team – Schorndorf) Fokker D.VIII in Detail.

IMG_4772 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

I’ve tried to vary the varnish finish according to the surface on which it is applied. My earlier notes and some of the photos seem to suggest a much glossier finish to the wings prior to weathering than I have managed. To keep the model in line with the others in my collection, I decided not to apply dirt and muck on the tyres and tailskid etc or engine oil in exposed places. That is a challenge I’ll have to face with my 1/32 work.

IMG_4780 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4774 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4777 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4768 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4766 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4761 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4786 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Details of the actual build did not materialise on the forum as I progressed, but if Des is happy I’ll post something retrospectively to show the stages.

Thanks for looking and sorry for such a long posting.

Best wishes
Nigel

PS. The hand is Ena's!

Offline petrov27

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2014, 04:14:05 AM »
Very nicely done - a fine build and great scheme! The top wing streaking is top notch and a great lead to follow for my build down the road
-Patrick

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2014, 04:44:31 AM »
Very nicely done Nigel, I really like what you've done here, and She's a credit to your modelling skills. Your streaking is remarkably well done IMHO!
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2014, 08:25:21 AM »
Nigel,
Outstanding Razor! I think you have captured the streaky look perfectly! Beautiful Model of a sleek bird!
RAGIII

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2014, 04:16:40 PM »
Beautifully done Nigel, the wing streaking is exceptional, congratulations.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2014, 11:04:54 PM »
Dear Petrov, Lance, Rick and Des,

Thank you so much for your kind words. They mean a lot to me.

Best wishes
Nigel