Author Topic: A night out with Erika - Gotha G.V 904/16 'Erika'  (Read 19802 times)

Offline FarEast

Re: A night out with Erika - Gotha G.V 904/16 'Erika'
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2016, 11:56:30 AM »
Right!

Progress! It turns out that the  Internal fuel tanks were specifically built for the G.V and could possibly be re-arranged or added to depending on mission requirements. Sometimes, but not always, these filled the full width of the fuselage and could be completely covered.

Taking a closer look at the image of Erika I'm sure the section between the pilot and the rear gunners position is closed!

Offline FarEast

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2016, 12:01:56 PM »
I have seen those pics as well.  I was thinking that the fuel tank on the fuselage looks real similar to the tanks mounted on the top wing.  Maybe it's an auxiliary tank to add more range??  Why it's there instead of the top wing I'm not sure.  Unless it's easier to put them all together in the middle??  One thing to note is that both the aircraft you showed are GVb..... So maybe nothing to concern Erika with?  There are pics of the standard GV with the cover over the walkway and the curtain just to the right behind the pilot....

Where are those photos from Zavod? I would really like to see them!

Offline FarEast

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2016, 12:24:12 PM »
Is it this one? If so I don't think that's a curtain but leather padding as the oxygen supply would be floating in the air.

Offline zavod44

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2016, 01:10:31 PM »
Your right, thats the pic I was thinking of.... So do you think the walkway is totally shut off?

Offline FarEast

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2016, 03:52:10 PM »
It looks like the panel is removable, and I'm guessing ther isn't a crawl space between the compartments as looking at the position of the oxygen system i'm guessing it's totally blocked off as a gunner could more easily slide over the top of the fuselage to access the pilot/commanders position?

Offline zavod44

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2016, 12:30:22 AM »
One way or another I think your back in business.  Don't forget to shave an fill the bomb doors on the lower wing....