Author Topic: A night out with Erika - Gotha G.V 904/16 'Erika'  (Read 20072 times)

Offline FarEast

Re: A night out with Erika - Gotha G.V 904/16 'Erika'
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2016, 03:24:53 PM »
So I'm calling this part 90% done and it will be put on the back burner until ready to be placed within the Diorama - a few more items to go in the back of the limber as well as more weathering - mostly muddy things up a little.

As you can see I decided to make some blinkers for the horse - don't want the poor beasts bolting!

The coat of arms has been removed and a little weathering over it - several more coats will be applied to bring it to contrast with the other areas. I will also burnish or weather the pole arm chains as they coming up way to bright in the photos - I may even turn then completely black as they would be left with the limber and not part of the harness.

The tows replaced with scratch made ones as I didn't like the ridged lines of the kit part - these feel more natural and bowed where they needed to.

Putting it together with the MarienFelde Lorry

So now on to the next part of the build!  :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 05:38:16 AM by FarEast »

Offline FarEast

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »
So here she is, the Aviattic Marienfelde Lorry and Masterbox Ltd. Horse drawn limber were nice distractions but now for the fun!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2016, 12:01:50 AM »
James,   
   Incredible job on the limber and figures, very nice! I think the chains would benefit from a brown or black transparent coat to impart a dis-coloured look (heavily tarnished look?) before you try full black. Looking forward to the main event!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2016, 12:33:31 AM »
James,
I decided it was time to catch up on the diorama group build and your thread is the first Your work on the Truck, wagon, horses, and figures is really stunning to say the least! I will now follow along regularly  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline zavod44

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2016, 05:24:57 AM »
I'm working on a very similar project so I'll be following closely.   

Offline FarEast

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2016, 01:12:21 PM »
Over the past three days I've had some quality bench time with the Gotha G.IV /V build.

I used a combination of Tamiya colours, Uschi van der Rosten wood decals and oils for the wood.

From there it was a case of slowly building up the detailing with the kit parts and also the HGW Super detail kit.

Also specail thanks to Ray Rimell for the use of the Gotha! script from the Special Datafile.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 01:16:53 PM by FarEast »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2016, 02:27:12 PM »
Perfect!  Will you build mine for me?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2016, 09:09:11 PM »
Outstanding work on the pit! Beautiful wood work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2016, 12:03:39 AM »
James,
    That wood finish is as good as it gets! I also marvel at your detailing, this whole display is going to be spectacular. :o :) It's a pleasure to follow your progress, great Thread, so much information and learning here.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2016, 03:45:59 AM »
Top notch, first class modelling in every way. This is going to be a mind blowing dio when it is completed.

Stephen.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2016, 07:33:38 AM »
Wonderful interior and wood tones, very nice. It's going to be a great Gotha!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline FarEast

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2016, 11:06:09 AM »
Many thanks everyone for the kind words and also the critique it does keep the wheels turning!

After attaching the turnbuckles for internal bracing wires it was time to make sure the fit was still good.

I decided to leave the rigging for another time as I was feeling a little mentally tired from 8 straight hours at the bench and completely forgetting to eat anything.

Time to turn in!

Offline FarEast

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2016, 11:10:14 AM »
So today was the point of no return and started chopping away at the Gotha G.IV.

The parts made by Ron Kootje are fantastic and match the exact thickness of the Wingnut Wings fuselage - once positioned I bonded it with gel type CA and left to cure.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »
James! What are you doing here? I thought my Gotha looked quiet convincing to me but now..... :'(
The complete interiuer is terrific.
Einfach wunderbar! Fantastisch!
Thank you for showing,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline FarEast

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2016, 03:40:28 PM »
Sometimes you just got to bite the bullet and take the hard route.

I started dry fitting the cockpit together and started to wonder why things looked a little strange, the answer is that the side console is missing from the Gotha G.V and it has a completely different dashboard and instrument panel!

The throttle controls and compass are now in the bay on the left side along with the airspeed indicator and all of the dials and switches are now directly in front of the pilot on a much larger console.

This meant two things, one that I would have to remove the side console and two build a completely scratch built instrument panel.

Now the problem is that this would leave a bloody great big hole in the wood flooring I had already done!

So time to bite the bullet! All the front section removed and the paint and wood decals removed.

Again its preshaded and preweathered.

So with the cockpit how it should be it was time to focus on the rest of the parts!