Author Topic: Caudron GIV 1/72 scratch build  (Read 21304 times)

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: Caudron GIV 1/72 scratch build
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2016, 04:59:54 AM »
Wow, I will never complain again about rigging.  You have done some masterful work there.  Love what you have done scratch building this plane.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2016, 05:45:05 AM »
.....and I thought the "Fee" was tough to rig in 1:32 Scale! :o  Great job on the rigging, Stephen, it is really coming together nicely now. I'm anticipating a real flashy entry into the Completed Models section, simply beautiful!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2016, 06:02:13 AM »
Absolutely stunning work on the rigging! This is continuing to be an unbelievable build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2016, 06:42:35 AM »
Incredible work with the rigging Stephen, you have done a superb job.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2016, 08:50:02 AM »
1/72 scratch builders rule!Wonderful work! I have really enjoyed your mini marvel's over the years. 

Offline IanB

« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2016, 10:28:08 AM »
I echo what the others have said....beautiful work and a fantastic little Caudron....definitely one to be very proud of!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2016, 06:36:36 AM »
Evening All,

Thanks to all for the very kind remarks - I truly appreciate them.

I am going to call this complete now. I scratch built an engine and mounted it on the (port) left side and then put on the cowling and propellor. The engine is from Small Stuff and is truly excellent - but I did find it tricky to assemble…. I am glad that there was an extra spark plug because one of mine is hiding in the carpet somewhere. Anyway it is on the right side but I am sure that my painting is not doing it full justice. The cowling mounting brackets are also on the front of the nacelle but are not too clear in the photos. The wheels were home made - card discs with tyres made from rod wound around a paintbrush handle immersed in boiling water for a few seconds. The individual tyres can then be cut off the roll as needed - the roll is slightly too small so the rod sits tightly on the disc. The propellors were carved from wood and varnished and the oil pipes at the rear of the cowlings were from thin wire.

I made a simple table from card and strip and a box from card. The figures were from WD Models set WD10 RFC set. The model is now mounted on a simple wood base because I want to be able to display it in a cabinet. Having read Andreas' excellent description of what a diorama should be I am not sure whether this really qualifies but this is the first time that I have tried to present figures in any scale after a long time modelling so I still have a great deal to learn. This is a first tentative step and I hope that for the next attempt I may be able to achieve more. I have put more photos in the usual place.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:33:57 AM by lone modeller »

Offline Monty

« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2016, 04:59:01 AM »
Beautiful modelling, Stephen! It is very effective and impressive! I Love it! Marc

Offline Adam

« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2016, 10:56:35 PM »
Miraculous Caudron and in such a small scale.

Adam.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2016, 12:12:28 AM »
wow just found this -- a beauty!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2016, 12:25:57 AM »
    Magnificent finish Stephen, this one is your best to date, and I look forward to the next effort from your work bench. Your models are truly one of a kind, and your contributions here an example for all to strive for. great work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2016, 03:55:57 AM »
Thank you gentlemen for your very generous compliments.

Lance you make me blush - I try to show other modellers how I make things because there may be useful hints/tips for others to use. This is one of the best sites I know for sharing ideas and I am pleased that others find my small contributions helpful.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2016, 01:12:41 AM »
    Magnificent finish Stephen, this one is your best to date, and I look forward to the next effort from your work bench. Your models are truly one of a kind, and your contributions here an example for all to strive for. great work!
Cheers,
Lance

I can not say ot any better or add anything to what Lance has said!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler