Author Topic: Caudron GIV 1/72 scratch build  (Read 21575 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Caudron GIV 1/72 scratch build
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2016, 12:24:36 PM »
    Brilliant work on the booms, Stephen! As always, no challenge is too much for your skills......nicely done!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2016, 03:37:31 PM »
Wow! Awesome work on the booms. To make one of these is challenging, but to make two perfectly aligned ones is masterclass. By the way I completely agree when it comes to the aesthetic and modelling challenge of pusher airplanes.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2016, 06:52:55 AM »
Evening All,

Many thanks to all of you who have left such positive and encouraging remarks - they are greatly appreciated.

Gregory: I rig most of my models with rolled copper wire so I will be using superglue and will attach the ends of the wires to the corners of the struts.

I have fitted the tail surfaces. In this case I had to put the small uprights on the rear ends of the booms into pre-drilled holes, and the top ends were also inserted into holes drilled into the horizontal stabilizer and then into the upper boom. The four fins and rudders were glued to the horizontal stabilizer having been painted first. The serials were printed on my home computer.

Finally the adjustors were put on to the horizontal surface and sides of the booms, and the horizontal bar between the fins glued in place.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:08:50 AM by lone modeller »

Online RAGIII

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2016, 09:08:10 AM »
Stephen,
You have posted MANY outstanding scratch builds in the Past! This one is shaping up to be the most spectacular yet, IMHO. Just beautifully done all around!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2016, 09:34:05 AM »
Seconded! Absolutely gorgeous!

Ian

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2016, 12:59:44 PM »
Stephen, 
    Not even finished and already a truly spectacular example of the Scratch Builder's Art. This is truly Master Modeller Class, and you can be very proud of the exceptional quality of your work. You bring a lot of credit to all of us in this Hobby with your efforts; Nice work!!
All the "Best" 8),
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2016, 04:18:23 PM »
Stephen, this plane looks just great, it is unbelievable how fast you build it.
Outstanding!
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2016, 11:39:56 PM »
Outstanding Stephen, cannot believe this is 1/72, much less scratch built.  Lovely job.

Offline Wolf

• The challenge is in the scale
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2016, 12:00:49 AM »
This is inspiring! Thanks for showing.

Maybe I skipped it, but how did you make the struts?
A model thrives on its overall impression and not on that every little disagreement over the original is hyped up as a disaster

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2016, 04:13:03 PM »
Stephen,
You have posted MANY outstanding scratch builds in the Past! This one is shaping up to be the most spectacular yet, IMHO. Just beautifully done all around!
RAGIII
I couldn't agree more, Stephen!  What a gem this is turning out to be!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2016, 05:44:21 AM »
 Stephen,
Ditto this one is shaping up to be your most spectacular yet my old friend. Outstanding scratch build project!!!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2016, 05:50:30 AM »
'Spectacular' is the first word that comes to mind, you have done a brilliant job with this scratch build Stephen.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2016, 04:18:22 AM »
My thanks to all of you who have left such positive comments - I greatly appreciate them.

Wolf: the struts are shaped pieces of 20 x 30 Evergreen strip. I streamline them and always make them slightly too long so that I can trim them to fit exactly.

Stephen.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2016, 04:41:24 AM »
Evening All,

I have had to stay at home more than usual this week so I have been able to get a lot done in a short time (well at least by my normal standards). This is one of those models where the rigging has to be done before the model is finished, otherwise handling becomes a truly major headache. Actually rigging this one has been a bit of a headache in its own right because I was beginning to run out of places to hold the model while working on it.

Before the rigging went on I added the bomb racks and release gear outside the pilot's cockpit. The release gear was made from stretched sprue, the racks from 20 thou card. I also added the pilot's windscreen which was shaped from a piece of acetate from an old Airfix bubble pack. The stone guards on the skids were made from small pieces cut from an old drinks can and fixed with superglue. The rigging is rolled 40 SWG copper wire held with superglue. If you want to see a cat's cradle here it is:

The last pieces to be added were the brackets on the front of the port (left) nacelle: this is the one which I will put the resin engine on and leave the cowling which will be on the ground. A scratch built engine will be fitted on the other side and will be covered by the cowling.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:28:58 AM by lone modeller »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2016, 04:47:15 AM »
Remarkable work on the rigging, Stephen! No mean feat on a Caudron in any scale, but in 1/72 it's bloody miraculous!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence