Author Topic: Caudron GIV 1/72 scratch build  (Read 21321 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Caudron GIV 1/72 scratch build
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2016, 03:04:22 AM »
Excellent start, must be a real 1/72 fan as not to wait for the 1/48 Copperstate edition coming soon....

Ed

Ed,

I am building this in 1/72 because I do not have the space for larger models. I am certain the the promised resin kit will be very good indeed and I hope that Des will gig us one of his demo builds when it is released.

Stephen.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2016, 03:06:09 AM »
Very nice work so far. I am glad you solved the nacelle issues. My first instinct as I read the story above was to think maybe using a piece of square hardwood stock and then sand to shape and then vacuform with the rear point facing up. But it seems you have it well I'm hand.cheers

Scott,

I do not have vacuform equipment - I use the old fashioned push/plunge method of moulding. I had thought that if the third and fourth attempts to make the nacelles did not work I would resort to moulding them. As it happens I did not have to in the end.

Stephen.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2016, 03:08:37 AM »
Wonderful work so far! My solution to the wing rib fabric effect would to get some flexible paper masking tape and wrap the wing in it,then mould the tape around the ribs.I was contemplating this on my Caudron build.Also the tape has a CDL colour to it.

Thanks for the tip T.U. I have already started to work on the wings with filler - a long job but it seem to be working. I had contemplated using 20 thou card sanded to a wedge profile and then slicing pieces to fit the gaps between the ribs….. and then decided that I wanted to do other things with my life too!

Stephen.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2016, 06:35:58 AM »
Evening All,

Because I have no manners I forgot to say thank you to Des, Ian, Manni, Borsos and Lance for your very kind remarks. They really are appreciated and I apologise for not having acknowledged them sooner.

I have got a bit bored with the wings so I have instead decided to start making the fuselage nacelle. This was moulded in 2 halves using the standard push mould technique: a male mould was carved from balsa and the female cut into a piece of plywood. I used 30 thou card as this seems to give the best results when I use this method.

Having made the basic shapes I then cut out the cockpit openings and removed the lower parts where the nacelle will fit to the bottom wing. The insides were then detailed with 10 x 20 thou Evergreen strip to represent the framing, and I cut and shaped a pilot's seat and the rather elaborate structure into which it was fitted. A standard instrument panel was cut from card and will be painted later.

The observer's seat was made in a similar way to the pilot's but his did not have an elaborate structure around it fortunately. Although I have started to paint these parts I have not photographed them. I have also made a simple control column and rudder bar but these will be barely visible on the finished model.

And now I must get back to those wings……….

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:12:11 PM by lone modeller »

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2016, 07:05:57 PM »
It's just great what you show here. May be one day ,some day I will try a scratch buld, too.
Thans for showing.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2016, 07:20:26 PM »
Beautiful job with the nacelle Stephen, the framing really adds to the overall effect, looking forward to seeing some colour applied.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2016, 07:24:01 PM »
I have only come across your build. It is going to be a spectacular show. Great start, Lance.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2016, 08:07:41 AM »
Very nice fuselage nacelle, I like it really a lot. Can't wait to see it finished.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2016, 02:30:28 PM »
That nacelle is extraordinary, Stephen!  Seeing such detail and precision in such a small scale is mind blowing!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline IanB

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2016, 01:00:05 AM »
That nacelle looks fantastic - almost as though it comes from an injected kit!

This could be one of your best yet....

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2016, 05:16:07 AM »
Evening All,

Thanks to Manni, Des, Prez, Borsos, Bud and Ian for the very encouraging remarks - I really appreciate them, the more so when things do not go according to plan - as with the engine nacelles a couple of weeks ago! Manni - do give scratch building a go - it is not as difficult as you might imagine, (and certainly not as difficult as I had imagined). The freedom that it gives in terms of subjects that can be built is really exciting - I strongly recommend it to anyone. After all if something does not go to plan - start again!

I have finished the wings at last - at least to my satisfaction. The rear of the wings on the real machines consisted of a single sheet of fabric and the ribs were exposed on the upper surfaces. The trailing edge of the upper fabric sheet was folded back on itself to form a slope about 3/4 of the chord of the upper wing and 7/8 of the lower wing. I had made the wings bu laminating a 20 thou sheet of card and a ten thou sheet and had sanded the rear of the 20thou sheet to try to reduce the step between the two card sheets. Originally I intended to make an even slop with filler but after experimenting with some scrap I found that I could not get the right slope and retain the exposed ribs, so I decided to sand the 20 thou card even more and leave a very small step which I intend to fill with paint. Not the best of jobs but hopefully it will suffice when the wings have been properly painted. The ribs were represented with 10 x 20 thou Evergreen strip sanded down. On the lower wing there were two metal plates under the engines to protect the fabric from the oil spewed liberally by the rotary engines - these are 10 thou card sanded to make them a bit thinner. I would liked to have used 5 thou card but I do not have any. The cut-outs on the trailing edges of the wings were removed and the edges sanded too. Holes have been drilled to take the struts at a later stage: the holes in the centre section of the lower wing are for the nacelle struts.
The training edge scallops were sanded by wrapping glass paper around a small dowel and gently rubbing. The slits in the upper wing were also cut out - they were to allow the outer wing trailing edges warp - these machines did not have ailerons.

I finished the fuselage nacelle interior by painting as per normal - and forgot to photograph it! The observers cockpit details were simply a seat and bulkhead at the rear, I also added a control column, throttle control and instrument panel for the pilot but did not bother with rudder pedals as they cannot be seen. The nacelle was then closed and a piece of clear acetate added under the nose for the observers lower window. The nacelle struts were shaped from 20 x 30 thou Evergreen strip and set into holes drilled in the nacelle. I also drilled two pairs of holes in the nacelle sides - these will be for control rods to the engines.

The next stage is to paint the sub-assemblies and add the markings. This will be an RNAS machine so will have the red outer rings and white centres. When that is done I can hopefully start to assemble these sub units and start to produce something vaguely resembling an aeroplane!

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:15:22 PM by lone modeller »

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2016, 06:48:22 PM »
Wow, Stephen, great!
Thank you for your encouragement in scratch building ( I bought me the Windsockfile of the SSW RI maybe...)
Looking forward to the upcoming progress.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline IanB

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2016, 10:47:22 PM »
Very tidy work as usual Stephen.
You could try Mr Dissolved Putty to reduce the gap on the upper wing. I swear by the stuff, it has come in very useful, most recently to add a little body to the PE control column on my Sopwith Baby. It's readily available on evilbay....or simply try dissolving some putty yourself to make a very thin paste....

Ian

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2016, 12:47:01 AM »
Beautiful work on the wings Stephen, they look very much like the original wings, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline stevehed

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2016, 05:46:37 AM »
Splendid job Steve. Perseverance at it's best. Always feel I'm winning when I get some markings on.

Regards, Steve