Author Topic: 1:72 Scale Paul Schmidt PS.7 First scratch build.  (Read 10659 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: 1:72 Scale Paul Schmidt PS.7 First scratch build.
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2018, 11:35:24 AM »
Great to see you back on this one. Looking terrific. Even better to hear the Great News about your wife!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2018, 12:56:05 PM »
Thanks. Momma is back to being ornery and there is plastic on one bench and balsa on the other, so things are looking up for a change. Just spent 15 minutes on hands and knees searching for an errant piece of PE. That kinda modeling fun I have not missed.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline smperry

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2018, 12:55:32 PM »
Started the rigging with the aileron control cables. I trimmed the sprue dead close... I thought. Seems my camera sees a lot better than I do. Well, next job is to trim those little lines much closer.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 10:09:49 PM »
sp,
     I missed this thread earlier, some great "old time" modelling going on here and nice to see! Great news about your "Missus" as well, pass on our very best. In the unlikely event that you can't come up with a supply of sprue send me your mailing address and I'll send you a supply (I never throw anything model related away, just ask my "Good Wife"............ 
    Looking forward to seeing this one rescued and completed.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2018, 05:33:48 AM »
I too missed that this had been revived. Good to see that you are back with the model and it is certainly looking good at the moment. I will be interested to see how you get on with stretched sprue - I gave that up years ago because I found that I could not get consistent thicknesses, but don't let that put you off.

Stephen.

Offline smperry

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2018, 06:41:38 AM »
Stephen
I ran into the uneven thickness issue and it can be a problem. The solution for me falls under the main advantage of scratch building and that is: you can tolerate a huge amount of wastage as long as you eventually get what you need.

A properly pulled piece of sprue should be pretty much the span of your arms stretched out. Out of that 4 ft or so there is a fairly even section about 12 or 16" long. That's the cut of steak I use. I throw the rest of the cow in the trash. The throwing in the trash part is the most important because it keeps you from grabbing some of the less ideal pieces when you start running low on the good stuff.

Besides this is 1:72. The thought of trying to rig this scale with mono makes my eyes cross and my head ache.
sp

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2018, 09:10:57 AM »
Great aircraft choice!

Offline smperry

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2018, 09:14:28 PM »
I started the rigging process. This model was started so long ago that I do not remember what lies I told myself about rigging a 3 bay biplane. I must be very gullible or a good liar...maybe both. Nothing for it but to keep at it until it is done.
sp

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2018, 02:42:23 AM »
That is precisely how I rig biplanes - start with the fore-aft wires between the struts and then I put the rear ones in - decreasing difficulty of access. It generally makes the rigging process much easier.

Stephen.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2018, 08:30:14 AM »
Looking awesome!
RAGIII

Offline smperry

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2020, 02:28:04 AM »
I finally finished my PS.7. 16 years after I started it. It had just gotten its top wing when I knocked a book off the shelf and smashed it. I worked it on and off over the years and now it is done.
The model went win any prizes, but it is a credible likeness to a PS.7.
While I was out finish it, the cat had gotten in the room where my laptop sits. With no litter box handy, I guess the laptop keyboard was the next best thing. Killed that laptop dead. I'm still fuming about that when the AC quits. The goat who lives in the back yard snagged a wire coming out of the AC unit with his horns, broke it, caused a short and blew an internal fuse. 70 bucks to have fixed.
Unlike Lance's dog, neither the cat nor the goat has shown the least sign of contrician. So I M down to accessing the internet on my phone. I will attempt to post a pic of the PS.7, if the phone let's me
sp

Online RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2020, 04:29:55 AM »
Now that was a Tough Day SP! I hope you are recovering, I would need lots of Beer  ::) Looking forward to the photos!
RAGIII

Offline smperry

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2020, 06:15:08 AM »
The new computer is fighting me every step of the setup and I'm drinking some of the wife's Jack on the rocks to counter the urge to feed the wall my new computer.
I have to deal with calling my ISP for assistance in getting email working on the new machine. The mini USB jack on my phone doesn't work so I have to email myself the pics so I can deal with them on the laptop. Hope to have pics of the PS.7 when I get those issues straightened out. Starting to really dislike that cat. This is more computer mumbo jumbo than I can calmly take. I truly dislike these machines, which is different from disliking what can be done with them...when they work.
sp

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2020, 08:24:18 AM »
SP,
    Forgive me, but I confess to bursting into laughter when I read the account of the cat and goat's escapades. Since I wasn't the victim it truly was humorous! As for the new computer I feel your pain, I dread the day this old desk top of mine "calves"!
   Congratulations on this great milestone, a 16 year shelf of doom journey has to be a record of some sort. Great stuff, and I'll scoot over to Completed Models to get a better view of your results!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2020, 10:45:15 AM »
When i first got my cat Blau ( blue ) , he was a little devil and broke many projects that were finished or near finished some even half through . He stopped that when he cut his paw on a blade . Never went near the bench again and left my airplanes alone . Sieben ( seven ) is another torrorer on four legs . He has knocked a few of the shelf . One which I'm still sore about is Tamiya's 4FU -1 birdcage in 32 scale . It was my Dad's favorite warbird and it has a bit of his ashes in the fuselage . I still haven't repaired it yet , they wings were folded making it not an easy fix  :-\

Computers aren't my thing either and I feel your pain there as well . They are very frustrating for me .

When the repairs are made I look forward to seeing the pic's ( shaking fist at computer ) . I really like , and for your first it is most excellent ! Which i hope will lead to more in the future  :)

Terri , just gott'a love our pets !

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .