Author Topic: 1:72 Scale Paul Schmidt PS.7 First scratch build.  (Read 10660 times)

Offline smperry

Re: 1:72 Scale Paul Schmidt PS.7 First scratch build.
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 10:11:52 PM »
Borsos
The Pup is quite fixable. Its just annoying to have to do it.  I guess gluing painted parts with minimal CA is the plastic modeler's equivalent of what RCers do when they hold the wings on with rubber bands. Pops apart rather than breaks when you crash.

I'll take photos and post them when I make more bamboo struts. Pretty easy and quite strong.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

WarrenD

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 09:37:48 AM »
Borsos, split bamboo is a good material for struts. Try it!  Just get some bamboo kebab skewers.

Warren

Offline IanB

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »
Oh no! Can you fix the Pup? I never tried bamboo,mbut it sounds like a good idea for wooden struts...

PS: Borsos, All Quiet on the Western Front was, and still is, perhaps my favorite piece of veteran fiction. I first read it when I was 12, I only wish my German skills would enable me to read an unedited German version.

Warren, I totaly agree, and I think I was about the same age :)

I never read the book, but will never forget seeing the original black and white film. The most thought provoking book I've read has to be Ernst Junger's Storm of Steel. If you haven't read it, I strongly advise that you do!

ian

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 11:28:31 AM »
I have used bamboo tooth picks for struts on a lot of my scratch builds and they have proven to be very strong and easy to work, colour nicely as well, here is the link if you wish to see the bamboo struts   http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1876.75

Des.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:34:34 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline smperry

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
Great looking struts Des. My method is a bit different. I split a plank of bamboo out of the center of a BBQ skewer. I thin this by pressing the plank against a disc sander with a squared block of hardwood and then draw the plank through alternating sides until im happy with the evenness and the thickness. Then depending on the strut im making i split the plank to the needed width.Finally i cut to length and sand the shape and cross section. I paint a base of Testors wood and then dry brush with a thinned, darker brown. Then as many coats of Future as needed to fill any remaining grain and give a good gloss. I always make more planks than i tjink ill need so i can pitch any less than ideas struts.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline smperry

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2016, 12:48:45 AM »
My computer went down and it's been a while getting it functional again. I had taken photos of my process for making bamboo struts, but was unable to reduce them in size for posting.

First photo is splitting a plank out of the center of a bamboo BBQ skewer. This gets the maximum width out of the skewer.

Second photo is dressing the plank on a sander. With a little practice you can get it smooth and even, a little more practice and you can do it without sanding the skin off your knuckles.

Third photo is splitting the dressed plank to the desired width for the strut.

Fourth photo shows the base color, drybrushed color and Future ready to use.

Fifth photo is the painted and finished strut material ready to cut to length.

sp

Offline smperry

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2016, 01:03:47 AM »
The final two photos are of the jig I made for cutting the struts to length. I copied the drawing and cut the relevant section out and pasted it on the jig to ensure exact length. The final shot is of progress to date. Getting the top wing on will be fun, perhaps I should hire one of those multi armed Hindu deities to assist.
sp

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2016, 01:37:33 AM »
Beautiful work on the struts, Steve!  Going to have to give this technique a try.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2016, 05:24:09 AM »
Thanks for showing your process of making the struts Steve, they turned out looking really good.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2016, 05:50:37 AM »
Steve - if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion concerning the top wing. If the struts are vertical only place the outer ones first, support the wing and allow it to dry. The remainder of the struts will then go in singly without too many problems. If there is dihedral I create a simple jig to hold the fuselage lower wing still and then supports for the top wing and once again only put the outer struts and cabanes on first. This method allows the modeller to put in enough to get the top wing into place but allows the inner struts to be put in without having to juggle with a large number simultaneously. If you look at some of my builds you will see what I mean.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Stephen.

Offline smperry

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2016, 06:42:56 AM »
Stephen
In removing the CA in the strut holes, i now have a bit of a di ot at each strut locarion. My plan is to glue the outer struts and then tickle the others in place before gluing...all the while trying to keep the wings aligned and not drop the fool thing.
I can always build a jig, but i dont build many 3 bay wing celules, so i gotta try it by hamd and eye first.
sp

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2016, 07:59:21 AM »
Stephen
In removing the CA in the strut holes, i now have a bit of a di ot at each strut locarion. My plan is to glue the outer struts and then tickle the others in place before gluing...all the while trying to keep the wings aligned and not drop the fool thing.
I can always build a jig, but i dont build many 3 bay wing celules, so i gotta try it by hamd and eye first.
sp

Steve,
The struts are looking great! Good to see that some are still seat of the pants modelers like myself who has never built a jig and only lost one wing mounting battle in years  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2016, 07:56:46 AM »
ROTFL
Always admired people who can envision and then construct a proper jig. I compensate by loudly proclaiming that if your eye can't tell it's off, then it's dead on. Not necessarily true, but if repeated loud and long enough, it isn't hard to talk yourself out of building a jig. :-)
sp

WarrenD

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2016, 08:49:43 AM »
Steve,
          It's great to see you back here with this one. You're in fine form, and your tutorial on the struts reminds me of the old days.

Warren

Offline smperry

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2018, 11:22:45 AM »
Got more than a little side tracked. My wife was diagnosed with cancer and fighting that kinda took all my attention for a while. Well worth it though as she has been declared cancer free two scans running now.

I recently dug out the  PS.7. and managed to get the top wing back on. I am now at the point where I was when the book fell on it about 10
years ago.

I plan to rig it with stretched sprue. I lost the large bag of sprue pieces I had collected and now I need to find a kit in the stash that I haven't cleaned up the styrene parts yet. Not sure a 3 bay biplane is the best subject on which to jump back into rigging after so long, but if I can pull this off, rigging everything this side of an I'lya Mourmets should be a piece of cake.
sp