Author Topic: Albatros D I 1/32 Roden  (Read 48543 times)

Offline Borsos

Albatros D I 1/32 Roden
« on: April 08, 2016, 08:07:26 AM »
Hello,
I am starting my first steps in bigger scale modelling. I think an Albatros D I is going to be a good start.
The kit does not look bad at all. I love those Roden kits since I built several in 1/72 about ten years ago.

But now I got some MGs from Gaspatch, the PE fret from PART and I am waiting for some HGW bezels.

I found an older topic from mc65 about his Albatros D III build and decided to take it as a guide:  http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1836.0
Therefore me too adopted the "cancian style" and removed all the stringers from the inside of the fuselage and replaced them with evergreen strips.
Besides of the aforementioned topic and the WDFs there's the fantastic site of Koloman Mayrhofer : http://www.craftlab.at/index.php?id=59

I prepared the woodparts with gunze random after some preshading. Then I used some wood decals from Alex (Uschi van der Rosten), added some oils and gave it a coat of clear orange and clear yellow respectively (my camera accentuates the difference, in reality it's much softer). There's been a large dispute some years ago about the proper wood tones of the Albatros fighters in particular. The reason was like so often the contemporary orthocromatic film that shows yellow colors much darker than they actually were. So many profiles and builts of Albatros fighters with dark brown fuselages were called to be wrong. I for myself love a warm honey-shade in my wooden tones. Yes, of course, I could have kept the wood tones a little lighter. But I took as inspiration the wonderful piece of art from Dave Douglass, Albatros Fighters of WWI. There are plenty of brilliantly done profiles of Albatros Fighters; for me nothing entirely new regarding the depicted shemes, but actually a great piece of art, well researched and just really appetizing to build an Albatros... right now... immediately...

I scratchbuilt a new seat. The well known pictures of a surviving D III seat and the pictures from the Koloman Mayrhofer site show, that the kit seat is wrongly shaped. The seat of the early Albatrosses was more ... ahem ... vintage style, looked more like granddads seat (I have no English words to precise that, just look for yourself  :)  ). Besides of that the pillow and the seat padding seem to be dark brown, not black, and seem to have different shades. So I decided to paint the Padding of the seat a lighte leather brown, the cushion is a black green. Leather, as wood, tends to darken over the years so this could have been similar to the original shade of the used leather. And I wanted a used look (and yes, you may ask why this seat looks that rotten after just some months of use, I'd answer "Well, the pilot was a messy guy.."   ;)  )

and I went on with other maior components of the interior. One question is: Did the tanks of the early Albatrosses different from the D III tanks? I'll do some more research, but to be honest I like the tank as it went so far and if I won't find any information that proves me wrong, I'll go on with it...
Borsos
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 05:48:56 AM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Albatros D I 1/32 Roden
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 08:12:25 AM »
You have made a great start on this build Borsos, the seat is spectacular.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 08:25:49 AM »
Absolutely outstanding start! The removal of the frames and using Evergreen strip is definitely a large improvement. As for the seat, it just might be the BEST I have ever seen! Lovely beginning to what I am sure will be a brilliant build! I am watching closely as I have an Encore DII and an OAW DIII in the stash!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 11:25:47 AM »
 Borsos,
Outstanding first progress my friend. Your work on her seat is just awesome. Well Done!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 04:13:20 PM »
Wow, Borsos, what a beautiful start! I am glad that you give Roden's D.I the honour, as I have recently bought one at the Euro Model Expo at Heiden. So I will follow this thread thoroughly!
Could you please tell us, which MGs exactly you got from Gaspatch? And Part's pe fret, is it especially for the D.I version? And what's the engine like in your opinion? I thought of getting one from Wingnut Wings (and use one of my WnW spare props too).
Looking foreward to your Albatros coming!
Richard

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 10:10:55 PM »
Thank you for your kind words!
Richard, thank you for your questions - for one in particular...
Yes, PART offers a set for Rodens D I, here are some pics and details: http://www.jadarhobby.pl/part-s32034-albatros-di-132-p-17017.html (The Jadarshop is my favoured source for that cool Eastern European modelling stuff...)
If you have a WnW Mercedes D III at hand, I would recommend to use that. The Roden engine has some annoying sinkmarks and some flash between the cylinders where it is hard to remove it. I placed an order for a True Scale Resin piece (I'm curious when it comes. Maybe I'll plunder another kit to have a better engine before). I'll place some pics of the engine later on.
Which MGs I bought? Well Spandau 08/15, of course, what else ... the WDFs show all Albatros D I drawings with 08/15 guns and most pics of early Albatrosses (mainly D II) where you can have a closer look at their guns have 08/15 too. But your question made me having a fresh look into the dusty, long long time ignored Mini datafile 10 (Spandau Guns) and I read 08/15s were first introduced in January 1917. One should read such basic information more frequently... As my bird is a D I and  the pics I have date November 1916, it of course needs two Spandau 08! I placed another order at Gaspatch and finally found a picture of a crashed Albatros D I in the WDF 100 showing defnitively Spandau 08 guns. Thank you again! :)
Andreas
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 10:36:12 PM »
That looks like a great start, Andreas.  Looking forward to seeing more.

Chris

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 10:56:32 PM »
Terrific start, Andreas!  The seat is a work of art...just gorgeous!
Your wood effects are extremely well done.  A gem in the making,
my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 12:21:02 AM »
     Great start Andreas. These Roden Kits have a lot to offer and I always enjoy them. I really like the wood tones you've achieved and your attention to details is already in full progress! I'm looking forward to following along on this Build.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 01:25:50 AM »
Hi, Borsos, thanx for the link to Jadar Hobby: I know, they have a god customer's service! Wingnut Wings sells the engine's sprues seperately, so I might order one from them. Gaspatch now offers three different Spandau 08 MGs, which was the reason for my question.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 01:59:30 AM »
Truly gorgeous work, Andreas!  I love everything about it!  Stick with the tank you've made.  It's a beauty.   How did you make the seat? 
I'll be following this one very closely as I plan on doing a D.I very soon in 1/48 scale (Eduard/Karaya).
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Borsos

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 07:32:23 PM »
Hello,
thank you very much for your kind words and your support!

Waiting for my resin engine here are some minor updates:
heavily reworked stick (badly photographed... sorry)

amo boxes (which don't look that dirty in reality... I'm not too satisfied with them and will probabely rework them. I promise I'll stop trying to replicate nuts/screws or nailheads by making holes. It doesn't look convincing in 1/32 and next to some molded nuts.):

And the almost finished fuel tank; it still needs some washes. Lead seams are done with diluted Vallejo Aluminium:

Bud, the seat was done by cutting a floor part out of 0,75mm plasticcard and a backpart out of 0,5mm plastic card. Getting this round meant using a pen to roll it. Then it's glued with normal plastic glue and when it set I sanded it to the correct shape. For the padding I used APOXIE Sculpt (it's about 10 years old, but sadly I'm slowly running out of it. Don't know if it's still available. Best stuff for sculpting, much better than Magic sculpt or the other stuff. It doesn't smear at all like many other products do). I rolled it flat and let it set for a while. then I glued it onto the back of the seat with superglue while it was still workable, sculpted folds and seans with a toothpick and added lead wire to accentuate the seams. The pillow was made quite the same way besides of adding some "buttons" with a punch and die set.
Best wishes
Borsos
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 05:51:09 AM by Borsos »
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 08:58:58 PM »
Very nice...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 11:02:42 PM »
Very nice...

A very nice from Bo equals an Outstanding from me  8) Inspiring work although I am not sure if you are making me want to start my DIII or thinking I should just knit  :o
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 12:07:56 AM »
Very nice...

A very nice from Bo equals an Outstanding from me  8) Inspiring work although I am not sure if you are making me want to start my DIII or thinking I should just knit  :o
RAGIII

I'm with Rick on this one, Borsos. Great detailing! Rick, forget the knitting, I can get you a discounted Membership in the Wife's Quilting Club!? ;D ::)
Cheers!
Lance