Author Topic: Roden's 1/32 S.E.5a (Wollseley Viper) - Grinnell-Milne's 'Schweinhund'  (Read 34043 times)

Offline RAGIII

Yes I have screw ups as well, but don't you guys find that the screw ups occur when you have a beautifully finished part that you are assembling to another beautifully finished part and grrrr a wayward blob of glue spoils the finish on one of the parts, the air turns blue, the wife leaves home and the dog seeks refuge in the garden and so it goes on.

Cheers

Pete.

As a matter of fact, I just dropped my completed Viper engine on the concrete floor of my workshop after clear coating it.  :o  My wife said she almost jumped out of her chair when she heard the string of curses eminating from the basement. The engine is repairable (already done) and as I'm no fool, I'll be making dinner reservations shortly.  ;D

Chris, dont know if you remember my posting my SE5a "That Didnt make it" thread on the other site but the short story is: The model was rigged and just awaiting touch up. I turned in my chair and knocked the model off of my display case with the chair back! TOTAL LOSS!!!! So.... Your mishap ain't so bad .... right? :-X
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Chris Johnson

Chris, dont know if you remember my posting my SE5a "That Didnt make it" thread on the other site but the short story is: The model was rigged and just awaiting touch up. I turned in my chair and knocked the model off of my display case with the chair back! TOTAL LOSS!!!! So.... Your mishap ain't so bad .... right? :-X
RAGIII

Whoa! My goof ups definitely don't measure up to that disaster, and I hope they never do. I'm betting that you weren't particularly happy about that incident.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
How was dinner? Its amazing how relaxing this hobby can be.......

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

How was dinner? Its amazing how relaxing this hobby can be.......

Steve

I'll wait for Mother's Day on Sunday and kill two birds with one stone.  ;)

Hmmm . . . I'm still waiting for the relaxing part to start!  :P

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline ALBATROS1234

there are no problems only solutions.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
there are no problems only solutions.

Very well said Scott.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Chris Johnson

Things are progressing, although not as well as I'd have hoped. I encountered my usual issues with Roden decals when I added the first of the stripes at the rear of the fuselage and it disintegrated. I ended up painting all four stripes instead. The 'W' and 'Schweinhund' decals also disintegrated to a lesser degree so I was able to patch them with white paint. Unfortunately, despite several applications of gloss coats, all decals have silvered a bit at points around their edges.

The cabane struts are wound with masking tape and painted and weathered with various Tamiya colours. There are no locating guides to obtain the correct angles for these struts, so I measured the distances between the mounting holes in the top wing and set the struts accordingly. Hopefully, they'll be close to correct but I'm not holding my breath. I also cut some pressed strengthening ribs into the front face of the fuel tank.

The engine fit perfectly into the fuselage, but I'm not even going to try to install the covers as I can tell that my sparkplug wiring would interfere with them. I like to see the engine anyways and have always left them exposed in my previous builds.

The seatbelts are from HGW and I had to cheat a bit with them as by the time they arrived in the mail, the fuselage was already buttoned up. I still need to weather and seal them.

In this last image, I've just shown the tailplane press fit in place. I still need to do some further detail work there before I finalize it. Next step is to figure out the rigging mounting points and install all of the eyelets.

Thanks for looking.

Cheeers,

Chris

P.S. This thing is aptly named! It's definitely a schweinhund to me!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:20:27 AM by Chris Johnson »

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
  Chris,
She's one outstanding bird my old friend. I really love that red fuselage,what red did you use?
Highest Regards ,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline phs Paddy

Sorry to hear about the failing decals Chris but in spite of that she’s looking good. Those seat belts from HGW give that extra detail I believe. Sounds like you have a handle on the strut locating issue.

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress.

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Chris,
    Ahhh, the joys of Roden's decals! I've built two Roden kits and like them a lot however, as I said in another forum, the best qualities they have are restricted to their filling capability in a garbage can! Not a slam on Roden but hopefully they eventually change suppliers, the decals are unusable and I've tried every trick in the book to no avail. My DIII and DRI have a mix of Pheon and WNW spares; I did manage to repair the shattered "Winged Sword" fuselage emblem on my DIII however the paint literally peeled from the walls of my den from the verbal tyrade that occurred.
   Your build is looking very nice indeed despite the set backs; quick question if I may: I used tamiya tape to wrap the cabane struts on my WNW SE5a, what did you use and did you seal or overcoat them?........they look great BTW.
   Looking forward to more progress photos, she's going to be striking in red.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Chris Johnson

Chris,
She's one outstanding bird my old friend. I really love that red fuselage,what red did you use?
Highest Regards ,
Gregory Jouette

Thanks for your generous comments Gregory but this kite is fighting me every step of the way. I used Tamiya Flat for the fuselage.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Chris Johnson

Sounds like you have a handle on the strut locating issue.

You have more confidence in their placement than I do Paddy. I'm hoping for the best!

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Chris Johnson

Chris,
    Ahhh, the joys of Roden's decals! I've built two Roden kits and like them a lot however, as I said in another forum, the best qualities they have are restricted to their filling capability in a garbage can! Not a slam on Roden but hopefully they eventually change suppliers, the decals are unusable and I've tried every trick in the book to no avail. My DIII and DRI have a mix of Pheon and WNW spares; I did manage to repair the shattered "Winged Sword" fuselage emblem on my DIII however the paint literally peeled from the walls of my den from the verbal tyrade that occurred.
   Your build is looking very nice indeed despite the set backs; quick question if I may: I used tamiya tape to wrap the cabane struts on my WNW SE5a, what did you use and did you seal or overcoat them?........they look great BTW.
   Looking forward to more progress photos, she's going to be striking in red.
Cheers,
Lance

I used thin strips of Tamiya tape too. I just glued the tail end of the pieces to the strut with superglue and painted right over them, forgoing the sealer. I wondered if the paint would cause the glue on the tape to fail, but it didn't. I may have lucked out there!

I wish that Roden would include something like Pheon or Cartograph decals too, but my understanding is that as it's a Ukrainian company, it's required to use decals produced in the Ukraine. After completing my Dr.I, I swore that I'd never use them again, but here I am struggling with them again. If there is a next time, I'm going to seal the entire sheet first, with the hope that it prevents the decals from self-destruction.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
You're cruising along quite nicely Chris, the fuselage colour is excellent and the engine looks terrific sitting in position. Don't you just love those seat belts, easy to use and adds so much to the model. I'm looking forward to seeing your next update, very well done so far.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
She looks great despite the struggles. I suggest we put a Roden-athon thread together with all the different woes..could be fun reading.

Steve