Author Topic: Roden's 1/32 S.E.5a (Wollseley Viper) - Grinnell-Milne's 'Schweinhund'  (Read 36516 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

i'm not sure but roden may have changed their decals. i decaled my roden dh-9 today and not a crack. in the past i have also had the roden decals shatter. i did option 3 in the kit so there were roundels the tail flag and these long blue arrows with white outline. they all went on without a hitch, they responded well to micro set and conformed to the raised ridge down the fuselage. i did my typical future,decals,future,dullcote method and there is no silvering either. perhaps they are using a new company or the old guys upgraded their gear?

by the way your se5a looks great chris

Offline Whiteknuckles

The Cabane Struts look really effective Chris and the colour of the fuse is very striking  - she's going to look great when finished, well worth the tribulations ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
Looking very nice now Chris, very effective lagging on the struts.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Trackpad

Chris,

Good luck with the rest of this project. It's coming along just fine regardless of the small setbacks now and then. Thanks for being so detailed in this thread!
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Fokker boy

I generally avoid British subjects, owing to the rather bland appearance they oftentimes had (just a personal thing with me), but this is going to be one colorful machine. I'll watch with keen interest. Nice job so far, keep it up.
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
I generally avoid British subjects, owing to the rather bland appearance they oftentimes had (just a personal thing with me), but this is going to be one colorful machine. I'll watch with keen interest. Nice job so far, keep it up.

Kevin,
For the most part I'm with you on the subject of British types my old friend. The French types are my favorites with 4 or 5 color camouflage schemes.That being said the German types aren't too shabby either.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Bland!!!? We prefer to think of Allied schemes as - reserved. Have you seen the Pup trainer schemes that Pheon does?

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

It's been awhile since I've posted anything, so thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments gents. After building three German aeroplanes now, I have to admit to a developing fondness for their colourful schemes. That in turn has led me to building this machine.

I've been busy with the model on almost a daily basis but it's been small steps everyday. As for the struts I installed in my last update, they had no inherent strength, so I removed them. I installed the top wing relying only the outboard struts, and then I fitted the cabanes. That worked much better than the first go-round. After I got a handle on the rigging runs, I rigged the cabanes first, then the flying wires, and finally the landing wires. It was only when I got around to the landing wires that I realized just how important it is to ensure proper placement of all of the eyelets in the wings. Luckily for me, the flying and landing wires didn't interfere with each other. No planning skill there; just pure luck!

The rigging is all 2lb Maxima Chameleon with 0.5 mm brass tubing turnbuckles and connectors. The line is painted with Mr. Color Steel. Along the way, I only managed to pull out three eyelets when applying tension to the lines. I'm improving!

If you look closely at the trailing edge of the bottom wing, just left of the fuselage, you'll see a bit of a mark. After installing all of the lines, the left side cabane rigging had loosened up a bit so I needed to tighten them. Having read here about using a heat source to shrink the monofilament, I decided to try that myself. No one smokes in our family, we don't burn candles, and I have an electric start barbeque so there wasn't a match or lighter to be found in the house.

Hmmm . . . that soldering iron in my workshop looks like it's tailor made to do the job!  ;)  And it did . . . but I managed to touch the trailing edge of the wing with the shaft, leaving a 'lovely' scallop that needed to be fixed.  :o :o  Looks like I'll need to touch that up a bit more.  :P

The decals in this kit continue to give me fits. This time, while painting the rigging, I discovered that the red centre circle from the right side fuselage roundel was now firmly attached to my thumb.  ???  :o  This after the application of three clear coats to seal it! Luckily, I was able to find another red circle to repair the damage, but I've officially lost all patience with Roden decals. I like the kits, but I cringe at the thoughts of using any of their decals.

Next comes the tail and then the undercarriage. Thanks for stopping by and having a look. I'm still having a blast with 'Schweinhund' despite those decals!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Thats looking really impressive. Youre in the home stretch. The decal warning(s) are well heeded. Im just not going to use them-EVER!!!

Steve

Offline Whiteknuckles

She's looking grand Chris ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Chris,
  Ah, the memories. The 5a is a "Beach" to rig for sure however you've got her beat by the looks of it. As for the Roden Decals, been there and done that and here's the T-Shirt to prove it etc. etc. As I said before, have a really good shredder on hand and step one is to get rid of them; they'll give you grief one way or another guaranteed!! You've done a wonderful job with this kit, strongly recommend you take on the WNW Version soon as a "treat" to yourself, I think you'll like it a lot!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
   Chris ,
The ol'Girl sure is looking outstanding. Her rigging is just fantastic. As a whole the project shows your high level craftsmanship and modeling skills mu old friend. I'll also chime with Lance,please do treat youself to the WNW SE-5a. Somewhere down the line and you're feeling adventurous take the  WNW kit and convert her to SE-5 configuration.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Lovely work on the rigging Chris, you really have mastered the technique with excellent results. Can't wait to see her up on her legs and to have the tail finished, it is a very eye catching colour scheme, very well done so far.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
Chris, that looks outstanding, sorry to hear about the mishap with the soldering iron, perhaps the next time you are by a supermarket, pop in and get yourself a bag of tealights, the small, shallow candles in the metal holders, you get quite a few in a bag and they are reasonably priced.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline RAGIII

Chris,
 This one is continuing to look most impressive! Your rigging is excellent. As for a heat source another option is incense sticks. Inexpensive, easy to control, and work great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler