Author Topic: DH 10 in 72nd scale.  (Read 11915 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: DH 10 in 72nd scale.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 06:19:44 AM »
Great work on the wings Squiffy.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline radio

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 06:27:35 AM »
Very beautiful update Squiffy.
Cheers
Martin

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 10:04:44 AM »
This is a real challenge and no mistake. Tackling a large scratch build  is something that I want to do but have not screwed up the courage to do so yet! Your wings look really good - I too use microstrip (Evergreen) for the ribs and it usually works well as yours have done - tedious but effective. With reference to the plastic of the wings, I have never used your bending method - I put my card into a pipe which is sealed at one end and then pour in boiling water for about 10 seconds. I have seen a coffee maker used for this too, (one of those glass units with a plunger - whatever their proper name is…) but that will only curve short pieces and the wing on the DH 10 would be too long. Using hot water is permanent - I cannot vouch for your method as I have never tried it. The fuselage should be straightforward as it is slab sided so in all this is going to be one interesting build.

As Gregory has written - welcome to the alchemy club. Having seen your Kitten, RE 8 and FE 2 I am sure that you will be posting a lot more in future.

Stephen.

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 06:44:17 PM »
Thanks, Stephen. I wish I'd known about using boiling water to permanently bend plasticard before I started.

Fuselage:

The internal framing is for strength only as isn't anywhere near scale. The nose needs lots more work to get the shape right before glazing. What llooks like a depression in the side is, in fact, the shadow of the thick plasticard reinforcing that is neccessary for attaching the wings.

White and black plasticard laminated. this will become the fuselage top and will require lots of filing and sanding to get the curves in. I've used alternating black and white as I hope that will help get the curves even on both sides. Cutting the hole for the Scarff ring is going to be a problem as I don't have a large enough drill bit and I've also found that drilling plasticard with large drill bits simply tears it up. I'll probably drill a chain of small holes and then open it up using a half-round file.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:45:10 AM by Squiffy »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 03:11:02 AM »
Squiffy,

Drilling holes in card is a problem but a simple and effective solution which I regularly use is a pair of dividers. Set the dividers to the correct diameter and then score the hole - it takes time as you need to score gently, but I can assure you that it really does work. Look at the circular cockpits on my models and you will see why I mean.

This one is coming on a treat - I am really enjoying watching this build.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 04:01:56 AM »
Your fuselage is looking excellent Squiffy. Really moving along on this as usual!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 06:58:38 AM »
Like Stephen I am am really enjoying this build, the fuselage is looking great.

Des.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 07:30:54 AM »
 Squiffy,
Her fuselage is an excellent bit of craftsmanship my old friend. Keep up the awesome works.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline IanB

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 07:48:34 AM »
Nice work on the fuselage, it definitely looks like a 10 already! I'd go with either small holes connected up or the dividers for the crew positions, either should work nicely.

Ian

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 08:11:31 AM »
Thanks for the encouraging words, chaps. I don't posess a pair of dividers and as I guess that cutting through 5 layers would be too much for that method. I suppose it would have worked if I'd made a hole in each before laminating them but hey ho...

I did drill a series of holes until the middle could be pushed out. I then used a half-round file to smooth and open out the hole.

The top in place and the process of shaping it is underway in this picture. The cockpit and nose will have to be treated differently. I may make the forward area using formers and 0.015" plasticard. Of course, having never done anything like this before, I'm having to make it up as I go along.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:46:16 AM by Squiffy »

Offline IanB

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 12:24:12 PM »
You could also try using metal from a soda (or beer) can....heat it first to anneal it, then you can use the handle of a pair of scissors or something similar to rub over it until you get the curves you need!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 03:37:19 AM »
Squiffy,

One of the joys of scratch building is that you often find yourself doing something that you have never done before and trying to find a solution to the problem. It is a different kind of modelling - but no less interesting and challenging. You are going great guns indeed - a scratch builder in the making and no mistake.

Offline radio

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 12:37:43 AM »
Outstanding Scratch building Squiffy.
Cheers
Martin

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 02:34:45 AM »
Outstanding Squiffy! You are doing things I have never dared to try!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 06:43:19 AM »
Very nicely done Squiffy, your scratch building skills are excellent.

Des.