Author Topic: Roden 1:32 Scale Siemens Schuckert D.III Jasta 12  (Read 6784 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Roden 1:32 Scale Siemens Schuckert D.III Jasta 12
« on: January 10, 2016, 04:34:58 AM »
   I am going to call this one complete; I was going to delay until the Aviattic Siemens Halske Engine was suitably mounted on a stand or base of some sort but haven't got my mind around how to include it on the display base as yet. I'm thinking perhaps the engine in an opened scratch built shipping crate might work nicely, more to follow in future.
   This Kit was not without it's challenges; I experienced fit problems with the lower wing and struts in particular and some old fashioned aggressive modelling had to be employed. In the end the model turned out nicely, and given it's subject and lack of another Kit in this scale I'm very happy with it. The Bren Gun Photo Etch Set provided a very impressive improvement and Rowan's Pheon markings and Richards Aviattic Lozenge and the Siemens Halske Engine Set really took the Kit into a new league. Great products and our After Market support Guys really have my thanks and appreciation, well done!
   I weathered the model heavily anywhere close to the engine as engine oil leaks and catastrophic failures were all too common with this aircraft, and engine changes routine. Rigging is Maxima Chamelion 0.12mm mono with Modelkasten elastic thread on the gear, cabanes, and elevator cables. Paints are Tamiya Acrylics and the entire model is sealed with Vallejo Polyurethane Satin Varnish. The prop is hand carved laminated veneer with a light oak stain and 6 coat urethane finish.
   Here are some final finished photos.....

A few close up details..............

Closer shots of the weathering and staining......

I added the prop shaft and plates with bolts to the Aviattic engine as a finishing touch once I decided to install (and hide) the Kit engine on the model.

....................and here she is temporarily displayed on a base awaiting her brass plate and final display details for the replacement/spare engine.

Not a bad effort by Roden, I hope they release more of the rarer types in future.......   an SS D.IV would be nice!

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Pgtaylorart

Re: Roden 1:32 Scale Siemens Schuckert D.III Jasta 12
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 05:48:39 AM »
Wow, Lance, this has to be one of the best SS D.III's that I have seen! Beautiful job all around with the weathering, rigging, Aviattic decals, and of course, that prop! Your hand carved prop goes beyond I've seen! Congrats on your finish!

George

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 06:34:34 AM »
Your SSW III leaves me speechless, Lance! So very beautiful! I really like the plane, but did not buy the kit, as I do not dare building it... Thanx for sharing!
Richard

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 07:00:21 AM »
Congratulations Lance on this superb model, the build has been a joy to follow and to now see it finished it is a real delight. The propeller is a model in its own right, you did an excellent job with the carving and colouring. The weathering on the model is very well done and the rigging is brilliant, you have made this Roden kit look as good or even better than any Wingnuts kit.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 07:01:58 AM »
Fantastic, Lance!
I love the Siemens powered engined fighters and wonder what they may have achieved had they not have been so unreliable.
Thanks for putting our products to such good use!

Best wishes, Richard

Richard,
   The Thanks goes to you, and to all of our members and associates who provide the wonderful array of after market additions for our hobbyists. I suspect the After market Business is not the most remunerative business proposition however the boost and enjoyment it provides to our mutually enjoyed hobby is beyond measure, and your efforts are not often enough acknowledged. This little old Model builder very much appreciates the efforts put forth by all of you, Thanks Gents, you bring a lot to the past time.
Cheers,
Lance 

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 07:03:33 AM »
Lance, this is an awesome model, the thining of the cowling vents (or whatever they are called), the paint chiping, the stains and all the other small details, gives a vey älive"kind of look to the SSDIII, I love it!
Think globally, act locally!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 07:05:28 AM »
George, Richard, Des, and Sashoo,
    Thank you for taking the time to reply, and for your wonderful comments, I really do appreciate them very much!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 08:50:46 AM »
Lance,

A truly inspiring build!! You really nailed it. Great job. What did you use for the blue fuselage color?

Mike

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 09:16:27 AM »
Lance,
 I enjoyed following your build and the results are Fantastic! You have achieved beautiful results and utilized your skills and aftermarket items to their fullest! Perhaps the best Siemens I have seen to date!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 09:46:29 AM »
Lance,

A truly inspiring build!! You really nailed it. Great job. What did you use for the blue fuselage color?

Mike
Mike,
    Thanks for your comments. For the blue I mixed Tamiya Blue X4 with their White XF2; sorry, I neglected to record the ratios just mixing until I got the shade I was looking at on the Pheon Profile Sheet included in the Decal Set.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 09:48:08 AM »
Thanks for looking Rick, and I sincerely appreciate your supportive comments!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 11:17:17 AM »
What a build! Super work, Lance. OK, I quit: where's the alligator pond? Time for a new hobby!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »
Truly superb, Lance!  Modeling at its finest.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 01:41:40 PM »
Gary, Bud,
    I`m flattered, such lofty compliments mean a great deal coming from you Guys! Many Thanks!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline petrov27

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 01:51:24 PM »
Really outstanding - kudos on such a fine result with this kit!
-Patrick