Author Topic: WNW free shipping to end in 2016?  (Read 3748 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
WNW free shipping to end in 2016?
« on: December 11, 2015, 07:18:50 AM »
Seen on another forum is this comment- attributed to Richard Alexander of Wingnut Wings on the question of when free shipping of their kits is likely to end.

I have no proof the attributed remarks are from Richard so take them with the proverbial grain of salt but they are from a forum that regularly quotes him.

"Free shipping will need to end shortly but not necessarily at the end of this year, it will probably be sometime before the middle of 2016. We will give people some advance warning before this happens."

If true this would address the question many have had whether the increased price of the new releases is a trade off against postage costs. Apparently not.

Buy 'em while you can guys because if they impose postage costs on top of higher prices and we cope with exchange rates and VAT charges and Parcelforce costs and who knows what other costs, these models are going to become less affordable to those on tight budgets.

The Albatros B.II and DH9A Post War kits each cost $A 163 with our current exchange rate to the Aussie dollar. Add postage to that and they could top $A200 apiece. Lets hope WnW can negotiate a really cheap bulk postage deal because at the moment sending a model from Australia to America costs over $50, even more if sending one from  New Zealand.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: WNW free shipping to end in 2016?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 07:46:28 AM »
I'm surprised that they are waiting until mid 2016, I fully expected the free post to be dropped just after Christmas. It will certainly add substantially to the cost of a kit, luckily here in Australia we don't have import duties or taxes, yet.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 07:50:22 AM »
If they chop the free shipping, they will feel it on anything that is not sent to the USA. Here in Europe the crappy euro rate against the dollar has probably put a dent in their sales and to pay shipping on top would definitely curb the stashers. I'd imagine American fans could swallow the shipping while the dollar rate is high. I would be curious to know how as a New Zealand company the pricing with an external currency which can fluctuate is worked out.

Cheers

Andrew

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:10:12 AM »
I expect their distribution model will be revamped with the end of free shipping...

Offline macsporran

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 09:52:01 AM »
It's flim-flam. They don't know what to do.

I should imagine that the company was thought up between PJ, RA and possibly others over a few beers after a model show seven or eight years ago. PJ probably said, come to me with a pitch and I'll have a look at it.
I surmise he might have responded to the pitch by offering to fully fund it for five years providing they made a few of his favourite subjects. After that they had to be self-supporting. Perhaps the Felixstowe was the last of his wishlist.

Then, a period of drought while they decide how to continue, some special offers, price increases, test the market re shipping, and announce a market winner like the Camel. Probably quite a lot riding on how well that does.

Maybe I'm talking through a hole in my hat, but it just seems like a different company from the one firing out new releases every few months until the long-gestated AEG finally appeared. That company knew no financial worries. I think the present one does.
My tuppence FWIW again, your mileage may vary and be more accurate than mine.
Certainly hope they do well whatever they decide.
S

Offline Chuckt5

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 10:13:20 AM »
If I were WNW, I would consider bumping up the prices on their entire lineup and keep the free shipping.

There's something about free shipping that makes a purchase more palatable.

Maybe its just me, but thats what I think.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 12:10:14 PM »
waldo the euro is worth more than the dollar still i dont understand what you mean?

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 06:03:01 PM »
I expect their distribution model will be revamped with the end of free shipping...

I see that as the sensible option too Bo.  Shipping and import duties being a considerable expense that is seen rightly or wrongly by most (myself included) as being on top of the price.  When pricing against *locally* purchaced mainstream manufacturers.

The way forward in a case like that is to have several regional appointed stockists for their products in various points around the globe which too might stop some of the mark ups we see from companies that do resell WNW kitsets.

I'm sure they won't do something without thinking about the long term interest it would possibly lose them.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 06:42:34 PM »
waldo the euro is worth more than the dollar still i dont understand what you mean?

Hi Albatros

A few years ago the euro was worth $1.65  now it's almost 1 to 1  I think you'll get the picture. I had recently to buy some pickup making wire from the USA the price to anyone in the USA was $500 dollars my end price was $500 + shipping $80 + taxes $160 work that out for yourself and you can see why anything priced with the dollar starts becoming too expensive (at least in the Eurozone)

Cheers

Andrew

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 08:11:39 PM »

Hi Albatros

A few years ago the euro was worth $1.65  now it's almost 1 to 1  I think you'll get the picture. I had recently to buy some pickup making wire from the USA the price to anyone in the USA was $500 dollars my end price was $500 + shipping $80 + taxes $160 work that out for yourself and you can see why anything priced with the dollar starts becoming too expensive (at least in the Eurozone)

Cheers

Andrew

Right you are Andrew, and add to that the handeling (mostly damaging our nice boxes that is) costs of the custom "services".

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 08:21:05 PM »

I see that as the sensible option too Bo.  Shipping and import duties being a considerable expense that is seen rightly or wrongly by most (myself included) as being on top of the price.  When pricing against *locally* purchaced mainstream manufacturers.

The way forward in a case like that is to have several regional appointed stockists for their products in various points around the globe which too might stop some of the mark ups we see from companies that do resell WNW kitsets.

I'm sure they won't do something without thinking about the long term interest it would possibly lose them.

Keith

I think you both are correct even if it takes a while to put it all in place. IIRC they have already put two distributers in place so it seems natural that more will follow when free shipping ends. Since I usually only purchase 1 to 2 of their kits per year I could handle $10.00 to $20.00 shipping. Over that it could begin to make a difference. As an example I paid $16.00 for shipping on the 1/32nd Sabre I ordered from Lucky Models last week. This still came out less costly than buying one from a US distributer  :o
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 04:49:13 AM »
Worldwide distribution is the way to go, place one, or two, distributors in each country around the world and allow them to sell the kits and they will have to charge postage to send out the kits, this takes the pressure off Wingnuts about their free post. Wingnuts would then become a wholesale warehouse where all they do (apart from producing kits) is to send bulk supplies out to all of their distributors.

This method would also benefit all the modelers, they would have a choice of where to purchase their kits from and maybe save a bit on postage, plus having multiple stores around the world selling the same kits may generate a bit of competition on price, I think it would be a win - win situation.

Des.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 08:46:25 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Chuckt5

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 09:36:06 AM »
Worldwide distribution is the way to go, place one, or two, distributors in each country around the world and allow them to sell the kits and they will have to charge postage to send out the kits, this takes the pressure off Wingnuts about their free post. Wingnuts would then become a wholesale warehouse where all they do (apart from producing kits) is to send bulk supplies out to all of their distributors.

This method would also benefit all the modelers, they would have a choice of where to purchase their kits from and maybe save a bit on postage, plus having multiple stores around the world selling the same kits may generate a bit of competition on price, I think it would be a win - win situation.

Des.

I agree with Des.

Either set up world wide distributers or build the free shipping into the kits price increase.

Offline spandfan

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 08:15:54 AM »
Either set up world wide distributers or build the free shipping into the kits price increase.

.....er, then it isn't free shipping.

Offline Chuckt5

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 12:22:49 PM »
I know, but (at least for me) there's something about having the final price go up dramatically due to shipping that's a real turn off. Its like those travel deals we see here advertised on the TV. Great last minute deal to Mexico, one week, all inclusive, $799. Then you read the tax add on and the actual price ends up being $1299! What a turn off.  :(

Maybe if they bumped the price up somewhat and kept the shipping to say somothing like $9.99, that would be better than a $79 kit plus $20 shipping (or more).

I'm odd that way.  :o but I would rather pay more for the kit and less for its delivery than the other way around. Although I wouldn't have the kit in my hands without that delivery, it's the kit in my hands that has the real value to me.

I often will add to my amazon order items I wasn't necessarily going to get right away just to bump me over the minimal free shipping threshold.

Like I said, I guess I'm just odd!  ;)