Author Topic: Henri Farman HF-27 'Steel Farman', 1/72 --- Finished Yesterday  (Read 11335 times)

Offline Old Man

Henri Farman HF-27 'Steel Farman', 1/72 --- Finished Yesterday
« on: October 06, 2015, 10:04:10 AM »
I have been working on this for a bit already, but most of the work I have done is on the wings, and they are not too photogenic, being basically long white rectangles. But I have got some good work in on the motor and nacelle now, and have something worth showing....

The machine is quite obscure, and this has been a problem, as no accurate drawings are available, and there are not that many photographs out there, either. Here is one doubled picture that has been quite useful, to give you some idea of what the thing is supposed to look like....

My original intention (back last March before the troubles) had been to do an RNAS example that flew into supplies Kut, but since then, I came upon a number of photographs of these machines operating with No. 31 Sqdn on the Northwest Frontier from Risalpur, and for several reasons including ease of markings, this seemed a good choice of subject. The picture above is from India, though I suspect it is of a derelict machine out of service but still surviving on an aerodrome (it is missing a radiator, among other things).

At any rate, to start with, here are the wings (upper wing first, then lower wing), with ribs in and trailing edges scalloped, under a coat of primer....

The best photographs I can find of this show no trace of either tape or cane strips capping the ribs, and a definite 'peaks and valleys' to the surface. I have accordingly reverted to an old method of sanding and scraping the 'valleys' into the surface of the plastic, leaving raised 'ridges' between. Thin 'swizzle-stick' strips of sanding stick have been a great help in this.

Scallops are cut in with a knife and regularized with a dowel wrapped in sand-paper. Rear portion of the wing surface is sanded and scraped down to get the trailing edge to a proper thin-ness.

Wing were made from 1mm sheet, and cold bent to camber, with the undersurface regularized by sanding with heavy paper taped to a large pill bottle, and upper surface sanded to necessary taper to front and rear. This took very little time.

Blank center on lower wing is where nacelle will go.

At this point I was still contemplating assembling the wings as a unit and spitting the lower wing to insert the nacelle and central interplane struts (a better usage in this instance, I think, than cabane struts).

But the more I looked at what pictures I have, the less viable this course seemed to be. At minimum, some of the nacelle was going to have to be built with the lower wing (in the manner employed by the old Revell and more recent Eduard kits of the Dh-2)....

Here is a piece of 0.5mm sheet cut to the proper length and width of the nacelle, shown first upper surface, then lower surface. It is not stuck directly onto the front of the wing piece, but rather the center was notched to receive it, After seams were eliminated, a sheet of 0.25mm sheet was added as binding reinforcement.

Here is the nose of the nacelle floor shaped, and a false start on the nacelle structure (at this point my idea was to do the portion of the nacelle structure that involved the central interplanes, and then proceed to do the wings as a unit...).

But it just did not feel right somehow, and so I put that line aside and set to the motor, a nine cylinder Canton-Unne/Salmson water-cooled radial. Here is the basic blank completed....

The crankcase disc is a laminate of three circles of 1mm sheet (easier to keep sides straight that way, slants can develop easily on a thick piece). I used an old 9 cylinder radial from the spares box as a template for orienting the cylinders. The basic cylinder is a length of 2mm rod, the cap at the head is a disk of 2.5mm rod. In fastening these, I put holes in the cranckcase and in the base of the cylinder, and applied CA gel; this squeezes into the holes and form a plug which functions pretty much like a pin, and makes for a joint that can stand up to some handling much better than a straight butt joint. The actual dimension of the circles in the template are a half millimeter greater than their printed diamenter as allowance is made for the width of the pencil point, so the actual dimension of the peace is about 13.25mm.

Here is the engine with some basic detail, front and back, and painted....

But the engine could not really be taken further at this point until I had its bearers arranged, as I have to be sure the various water and fuel pipings would be clear of the bearers....

After further study of photographs of examples used by the English, it became clear to me that the drawing I have (a 1/144 scale effort in the Davilla and Soltan book of French Aircraft of WWI)cannot be relied on at all in a most crucial area, namely the rear of the nacelle and the engine mounting. The drawing does show some features which appear in photographs of machines in Russian service, and for all I know there may have been extensive modifications of the engine arrangements made by the Dux factory, and so it could be possible the drawing accurately reflects such, but be that as it may, I realized I would have to proceed on the basis of photographs in this area, which is key to the entire build....

So last weekend, I took up the nacelle again, resolved to ignore everything but my scanty stock of photographs and what made sense to me as likely features of aeroplane construction and design in the period (I like to think my WAGs have at least a bit of education behind them...).

I decided, too, that it would be better to start with the sides of the nacelle, rather than its interior structure. So I cut a long strip of 0.25mm/10thou sheet, and trimmed out of it two lengths running from the rear of the covered portion to where the bend begins...

Though I had not planned to, at this point, since I had enough strip remaining which I knew was identical in height, I decided to plunge on ahead and do the nose portion as well....

A sharp bend got the 'point' and pressing with a tweezers got the rest of the rough shape. Lying this over the piece got me some pencil lines for cutting, and once it seemed to fit glue was applied, to the bottom and the mating edges. Wife lent a third hand here, as both mine were fully occupied holding the wing the new bit in place at the proper curves, and she dropped a good deal of accelerator onto the general area. Things held well, and then it was just a matter of a bit of patching in a small gap on the port side and general seam cleaning, inside and out....

I started the internal structure with 0.5mm rod laid around the joint of floor to sides. I then started on the verticals. My intention was to do just the portion of the forward central interplanes that were under the rim of the nacelle, but I used a longish bit of 1mmx0.5mm rod to do so, figuring this would be easier to align and that I could trim it down later. But it seemed so well aligned with the locating holes for the rest of the struts that I figures to go with the flow, and trimmed it of at the proper strut length (27mm from the lower wing surface). I put in its mate on the other side, and built both up with an additional length of 1mmx0.25mm strip, and proceeded to do the rest of the structure of the crew area of the nacelle....

(the brown wash is mostly to show the strruture, but will, I epect, show though the interior coloring later)

I then did the structure in the rear portion of nacelle (which contains the fuel tanks and bears the radiators, and the motor itself), including the rear central interplanes....

At this point, I gave the upper wing a shot at resting on the central interplane struts, and am reasonably happy with their spacing and alignment....

Next will be the nacelle interior (it is almost completely open), the nose cap and engine bearers, and final detailing of the engine. I will be starting on this tonight.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 03:28:32 PM by Old Man »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Henri Farman HF-27 'Steel Farman', 1/72
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 10:15:41 AM »
Great to see you start on another of your wonderful scratch builds. This is a somewhat obscure type but what you have achieved so far is excellent, the wings in particular look brilliant. Looking forward to following along with this build. Out of interest OM, what length are the wings in 1:72 scale, they seem very long.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Old Man

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 10:22:34 AM »
Great to see you start on another of your wonderful scratch builds. This is a somewhat obscure type but what you have achieved so far is excellent, the wings in particular look brilliant. Looking forward to following along with this build. Out of interest OM, what length are the wings in 1:72 scale, they seem very long.

Des.

Thank you, Sir.

I shall be cribbing shamelessly from your old Voisin build in detailing the motor.

The wings are a hair under nine inches in 1/72, wingspan was 53 feet by the old Harleyford tables. I think I set the thing at 226mm, to have an even center-line. I am willing to fudge a little for measuring convenience at times....

Offline IanB

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 12:30:10 PM »
Lovely work on the wings - that's not a "quick fix" to get the scallops and ribs like that!

Ian

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 02:05:43 PM »
great work so far old man. nice to see you on the bench again

Offline ermeio

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 11:52:25 PM »
you are already ahead...
i will follow with interest

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 02:37:01 AM »
Wonderful modelling as usual from your quarter. Until you started this project I too had never heard of these machines, but they are extremely interesting nonetheless.

Your method of constructing wings with the ribbing is very impressive indeed - I must give your method a try on one of my future projects as I always find the ribs difficult to get to look right. The detail in the nacelles is also excellent and I am sure that the engine will really look the part when it is finished.

Looking forward to more.

Stephen.

Offline radio

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 08:53:33 AM »
Outstanding work and a very good engine, OM.
Cheers
Martin

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 09:05:21 PM »
A great start OM! I'm really looking forward to this one.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 08:06:12 AM »
Terrific work to date! I am always amazed at how quickly you can scratch build wings, tubs, etc. Beautiful!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 01:07:15 PM »
 Outstanding project my old friend. I'm looking forward to following this latest Masterpiece. Keep up the excellent progress.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Online Thumbs up

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 10:45:21 PM »
Great stuff OM.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 05:38:13 PM »
I am sure, this one is going to be another fantastic project of yours. I will be watching it with great interest.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 01:12:46 AM »
Thank you all very much for interest, and kind words.

I think i am now over the hump on this. There has been a good deal of wheel spinning and some false starts, because I was having to guess more or less blind on the engine mounting, which, since it is completely exposed is certain to draw the eye.

I had seen two basic styles of motor mounting employed by Farmans for radial-style engines --- one a sort of 'cross' with a collar in the center, the other a sort of truncated pyramid with circular indentation instead of a pointed peak.

I tried the 'cross' first, and once I had it, realized I would have to do a anew engine, because there was not enough crankcase behind the cylinder row to accommodate the plumbing behind the cylinders and engage any substantial bearing piece.

So I made a new motor, with a deeper crankcase. I made a central disc out of 2mm sheet, which once I had locators holed for the cylinders I sanded to nonagonol faceted. this, and the cylinders being of 2mm rod, made attachment and alignment easier. I then added 1mm discs front and back, and with the new blank in hand, tried the truncated pyramid style, rendering it solid. It fit, and looked like it would work, but another millimeter needed to be added at the rear of the crankcase.

At this point, I got lucky. I had put up an inquiry on a small forum dedicated to the South African Air Force, seeking information on the use of the type in German Southwest Africa. A fellow there replied with several pictures from a period history, which not only nailed the markings of the Farmans employed there, but included a close, fairly clear shot of the motor taken from the port quarter: the first god look I had got of the arrangements there.

Wife put the old picture through Photoshop and coaxed even more detail out of it....

So with something to go on that reduced the need for guesswork greatly, I did some re-working of the nacelle rear, and mixed the truncated pyramid bearer, in modified form, with an arrangement of three steel tubes bolted to the crankcase, which I have seen in drawings (and in our Des' excellent large-scale scratchbuild) of the same Canton-Unne/Salmson motor mounted on a Voisin. Some of it may be a trifle over-scale, but that cannot be helped.

Here a couple of shots showing the motor in its early stages dry-fit into its mounting on the as yet only partially revised nacelle rear:

As you can see, while all of this was going on, I got the interior painted and partially rigged. Te nose 'cap' is simply resting in place, not actually attached. It was made from a block of two rectangles of 2mm sheet laminated together, after which everything no the desired part was cut and sanded away. A bit of extension was added in the rear on each side, but these may be cut off, as they do not seem to be evident in the S.A. pictures. Wife has previously remarked on seeing items like this that they resemble the 'stick on' nails girls use nowadays, buyable by the pack in the beauty section, and she may have a good point....

Here is a look at the nacelle rear in final form, ready for the motor to be attached....

Here is the new engine (greatly magnified), painted, about mid-way through, front and back...

Here is the motor with lifters and rods and ignition leads complete:

Copper tone is a wash of brown over sprayed silver, topped with clear orange (washable marker picked up with Future).

Finally, here is the motor attached to its mountings at the rear of the nacelle.

I can now proceed to the relatively straightforward business of furnishing the 'office' for the crew, after which I will do the fuel tank, finish the exhaust arrangements and fuel feeds, PAINT the thing, and then do the radiators and water-feeds. I feel reasonably sure I can get that done over the coming weekend.

In any case, I will finish this as one of the South African machines employed in the campaign in German Southwest Africa (if nothing else, it will save some time on decalling...), which was an extremely odd passage, and the first use of the type anywhere. Indeed, the machines delivered to South Africa could be fairly called in more modern parlance a 'pre-production' batch.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 02:15:05 AM »
This looks fantastic OM - a really novel piece of modelling. It is interesting to compare it with the Longhorn as there are similarities and important differences. I am really enjoying watching this one being built - really pleased that you were able to get good photos of what are rather rare machines.

Stephen