Author Topic: Henri Farman HF-27 'Steel Farman', 1/72 --- Finished Yesterday  (Read 11336 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Henri Farman HF-27 'Steel Farman', 1/72
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 02:35:35 AM »
 Old Man,
What outstanding progress my old friend. Very impressive skill and craftsmanship are a hallmark of all your Master Class projects.I must comment on your wings,they're nothing short of amazing. Well Done my old friend. When painted one wouldn't be able to tell they weren't part of a kit.Yet another fine testament to your absolutely awesome scratch building ! Keep up the high standards of excellence and keep us posted as to your progress.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline radio

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2015, 05:16:08 AM »
Fantastic work, OM.
Cheers
Martin

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 05:43:47 AM »
Thank you for posting these, Old Man. This really is proper modelling!

I am interested to know how you made the wings.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 07:17:03 AM »
Very well done with the engine OM, I had enough trouble building mine in 1:32 scale but you have pulled it off beautifully in 1:72 scale, this model is shaping up extremely well.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Old Man

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »
This looks fantastic OM - a really novel piece of modelling. It is interesting to compare it with the Longhorn as there are similarities and important differences. I am really enjoying watching this one being built - really pleased that you were able to get good photos of what are rather rare machines.

Stephen

Thank you, Sir.

Certainly the nacelle is very much in the Maurice rather than Henry Farman style. This machine is often referred to as a variant of the HF-20, and I really do not think that is correct. It is something separate: cribbed in some measure from the Voisin, with wings completely different from the Henri style, and with a nacelle that might have come off an MF-11 in most respects; only the tail assembly shows regular Henri Farman features. So does the F-40, but no one calls that an HF-20 variant, even though actually, its wings are a bit closer to the early Henri pattern than those of the HF-27.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2015, 11:49:41 AM »
Old Man,
What outstanding progress my old friend. Very impressive skill and craftsmanship are a hallmark of all your Master Class projects.I must comment on your wings,they're nothing short of amazing. Well Done my old friend. When painted one wouldn't be able to tell they weren't part of a kit.Yet another fine testament to your absolutely awesome scratch building ! Keep up the high standards of excellence and keep us posted as to your progress.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Thank you, my friend.

Very glad to see you active here again.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2015, 11:50:12 AM »
Fantastic work, OM.
Cheers
Martin

Thank you, Sir! Much appreciated.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2015, 12:03:50 PM »
Thank you for posting these, Old Man. This really is proper modelling!

I am interested to know how you made the wings.

Thank you, Sir.

For the wings I have reverted to an old method of sanding and scraping the 'valleys' into the surface of the plastic, leaving raised 'ridges' between. Thin 'swizzle-stick' strips of sanding stick have been a great help in this. These are narrow strips of the padded emery sold as 'salon boards' in beauty sections (or as 'sanding sticks' by hobby suppliers). The strips run between 2.5mm and 3.5mm, which is a pretty good match with most 1/72 rib spacings, and come in grits ranging from very coarse to fairly fine. Mark the ribs in with pencil (best to work from the center out, rather then from one tip across to the other). Then hit the space between the lines with one of these emery strips of coarse grit, taking care to leave the pencil marks intact. Follow this by scraping with the edge of a curved blade (a #10), which smooths things down a bit. Follow this with a narrower coarse grit emery strip, and then scrape again with the blade. It is laborious but not hard, and with a little practice you can get fairly precise in the effect. Once every channel is is, you can smooth further with something like 600 grit paper, moving chord-wise, not span-wise. After this a coat of primer (I use Tamiya Fine White, but everyone has a favorite), will give you a good surface.

Scallops are cut in with a knife and regularized with a dowel wrapped in sand-paper. Rear portion of the wing surface is sanded and scraped down to get the trailing edge to a proper thin-ness. Some work will be needed on the 'valleys' in the upper surface, but most of the thinning can be done to the under-surface.

Wing were made from 1mm sheet, and cold bent to camber, with the undersurface regularized by sanding with heavy paper taped to a large pill bottle, and upper surface sanded to necessary taper to front and rear. This took very little time, about an hour for both wings (as opposed to about eight hours, and a lot more dust, when sanding an airfoil section into thick sheet).

Offline Old Man

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2015, 12:07:58 PM »
Very well done with the engine OM, I had enough trouble building mine in 1:32 scale but you have pulled it off beautifully in 1:72 scale, this model is shaping up extremely well.

Des.

Thank you, Sir.

I found pictures of your motor very useful. The exhaust manifolding on this type does not seem standard. As you can see in the picture, pipes join and wrap around the rear strut, and there is only room for three cylinders to feed into an upper manifold, rather than the familiar five seen on preserved motors. Doing a cockpit (I am taking a break from seats and such just now) is a walk in the park by compare to that rat's nest in the rear....

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 05:03:04 AM »
this is coming out nicely old man. i especially like your treatment of the engine. quite a bit of detail in such a small item

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2015, 05:35:10 AM »
Outstanding progress !Beautiful results as always !
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pietro

• What?! Are you kidding?!
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2015, 03:27:40 PM »
That is outstanding in ANY scale, but in 1/72 scale? Incredible!!
The other Old Man, Pietro

Offline Old Man

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2015, 12:36:32 PM »
this is coming out nicely old man. i especially like your treatment of the engine. quite a bit of detail in such a small item

Thank you, Sir.

In this build, the engine is the star --- it has to be presentable.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2015, 12:38:41 PM »
Outstanding progress !Beautiful results as always !
RAGIII

Thank you, Sir. There has been an unfortunate two steps forward one step back quality to this at times, but I hope the worst is passed.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2015, 12:41:25 PM »
That is outstanding in ANY scale, but in 1/72 scale? Incredible!!
The other Old Man, Pietro

Thank you, Sir.

When I was a young man, I worked as a jeweler for some years. And in the small scale, there are things you can get away with that could never pass in larger pieces.