Author Topic: Henri Farman HF-27 'Steel Farman', 1/72 --- Finished Yesterday  (Read 12615 times)

Offline Old Man

Re: Henri Farman HF-27 'Steel Farman', 1/72
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2015, 05:30:29 AM »
do you know that lead can be toxic, why not use gold for your ballast . lol but anyway she is turning out stellar old man and worthy of your great skills.

Thank you, Sir. Not sure gold would have been heavy enough, and it is not too good for you either....

Glad you like the piece shaping up.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2015, 05:33:08 AM »
Hi,

this is looking so good. :D
I have seen your other Building reports now.
Excellent what i´ve seeing there. You build always in 1/72?
Oh, i think i would broke my fingers when i try to build in this scale.
I´m looking forward to see more of you.

Kindly regards

Jörg

Thank you, Sir.

Welcome to the forum.

I do indeed work only in 1/72. It does take a lot of tweezer work....

Offline Old Man

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2015, 05:34:02 AM »
Your build is really taking shape from the interior to the rigging! Outstanding scratch building!
RAGIII

Thank you, Sir. It has been a slice, and has turned into something of a speed-build....

Offline Old Man

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2015, 05:34:46 AM »
Spectacular work, OM!  The rigging is superb.
Cheers,
Bud

Glad you like it, Sir.

Lots more rigging coming up....

Offline Old Man

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2015, 05:40:14 AM »
After my sanity break, I got in a pretty intense two day run, including an old fashioned all nighter (not something I do much nowadays), and have gotten a great deal done,,,

Here is the thing pretty near where the last entry left off, but with the undercarriage painted and the wheels on:

The bit projecting from the upper wing are the start fo lugs to which the upper longerons attach.

I caught a break, finding wheels of appropriate sizes in the spares bin (as well as a properly sized and shaped propeller which I have put aside).

Here it is with the basic tail boom assembly on:

What you see is the second pass. I first tried using 30 thou rod, but it was just a hair too flimsy, and in any case, I wiped it out dropping the model (strictly speaking, I did not so much drop it as nudge it towards the tail setting it down, and it slid over the edge of the bench tail first). You will read comments saying elastic line adds no strength to a model, but they are wrong. Six or seven strut to wing joints popped (in the excitement I did not count), but all the rigging held, and at first glance it seemed hardly any damage had been done save to the tail boom. So what could have been a final disaster was held to merely a set-back by the well-set EZ-Line. Repair took no more than twenty minutes. I up-sized the longerons to 35 thou rod, and having all the dimensions known made replacing the boom assembly go much quicker than making it before had done, too.

The longeron structure is assembled to the model, lower longerons first. I used a length of 20 thou rod for a vertical (temporary) spacer at the rear, to support the upper longerons in assembling them. The struts were cut from 1mm x 0.5mm strip, and trimmed till they just fit without displacing the longerons. The temporary spacer popped out as I was fitting the last of the rear struts, which saved me the trouble of cutting it.

Here is the longeron assembly painted, wit basic rigging in and the rudder attached:

Here is the model with the tailplane in place, and all structural rigging in:

This was the last picture taken, but things have progressed a bit beyond it. Control rockers are on the nacelle, aileron horns and pulleys are on, and the long control runs to the rudder, elevators, and ailerons are complete.

What remains to be done is addition of about half a dozen short bits of wire to the tail (braces and bit of control wire), ten short bits and four loner bits of rigging associated with the ailerons, making a skid/ruder protector for the tail, making a windscreen, and adding the propeller, along with, of course, a bit of touching up in spots....

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2015, 05:56:03 AM »
Very impressive, Old Man! The fact that this is in 1/72 and scratch built makes it even more impressive!

George

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2015, 06:32:30 AM »
Looking absolutely superb OM, the tail booms and rigging are excellent and being in 1:72 scale makes this scratch build amazing.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2015, 07:56:42 PM »
I'm lurking around and keeping an eye on that build, but decided to drop by and say that this is an Excellent build, one can learn a lot by checking it and the result so far is more than great!
Think globally, act locally!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2015, 03:32:27 AM »
This is a really superb piece of scratch building - well up to the usual very high standard which you routinely produce. Hitherto I did not know much about the HF designs, but I am certainly learning from you. The radiators are extremely good - how did you make them? Was it laminated card?

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2015, 06:05:38 AM »
Wonderful build of a very elegant aircraft,inspirational OM Bravo!

Offline radio

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2015, 03:12:36 AM »
An exellent work OM.
Cheers
Martin

Offline Old Man

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2015, 03:31:03 PM »
Very impressive, Old Man! The fact that this is in 1/72 and scratch built makes it even more impressive!

George

Thank you, Sir!

I suspect I would go mad working in a larger scale....

Offline Old Man

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2015, 03:34:36 PM »
Looking absolutely superb OM, the tail booms and rigging are excellent and being in 1:72 scale makes this scratch build amazing.

Des.

Thank you very much, Sir.

I suspect the booms are really a hair over-scale. The 30 thou looked just right, but it really was too flimsy. I probably should take a leaf from our 'Lone Modeller' and start looking for wire rather than styrene rod. It is the ease of the plastic I prefer; much easier to trim and size, and work after attachment when necessary (as it not infrequently is).

Offline Old Man

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2015, 03:37:13 PM »
I'm lurking around and keeping an eye on that build, but decided to drop by and say that this is an Excellent build, one can learn a lot by checking it and the result so far is more than great!

Thank you very much, Sir!

Most of this is really pretty simple stuff. To be blunt, I do home-builts better than I do kits....

Offline Old Man

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »
This is a really superb piece of scratch building - well up to the usual very high standard which you routinely produce. Hitherto I did not know much about the HF designs, but I am certainly learning from you. The radiators are extremely good - how did you make them? Was it laminated card?

Thank you, my friend.

This is a very obscure machine, but it actually had quite a career; rather like the hitch-hiker in the old Johnny Cash number, it has been everywhere --- everywhere but over the lines in France and Flanders, anyway....

I think the radiators were solid, from 3mm sheet, which I sanded a bit thinner. I scribed vertical lines in them, close and regular as I could manage. The 'caps' at top and bottom are separate pieces, and the bands are 1/64" striping tape. Coloring them was kind of tricky, because the dark wash to hit the lines overwhelms the brown over silver color. I wound up using several final coats of straight transluscent orange to bring the copper tome back a bit.