Author Topic: 1/72 Avro Type D Biplane 1911  (Read 11245 times)

Offline lone modeller

1/72 Avro Type D Biplane 1911
« on: July 09, 2015, 07:31:04 AM »
Evening All,

Those of a certain age will remember the film "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" which was loosely based on the London to Paris Air Race of 1912 and featured a number of reconstructed early aeroplanes. A company called Inpact released 6 of these in 1/48 scale, some of which have appeared as builds on this site. I built all of the 6 models shortly after they were released and attempted to "rig" them using black cotton thread!!? They were very good models for their time, and although they are a little crude by today's standards, they are still available for those determined to find them and they are quite easy to build (although rigging some of them is more challenging). Last year I built the Airfix Albatros DV for a trip down memory lane so this year I decided to take another trip down the same highway, but this time it will be the Avro Type D biplane which in my opinion was the most aesthetically pleasing of the 6 models. I will forgo a kit and build a model in the Gentlemen's Scale (aka God's Own Scale) so that when it joins my small collection it will not look out of place.

I started by getting some help from Inpact - they provided me a set of instructions:

I started by copying a set of plans from the internet and scaling them. Then I could make the frame for the top of the fuselage. The fuselage was triangular in cross section with two longerons on the top and a third single longeron at the bottom. The three longerons were held together by vertical and horizontal braces: the forward part of the fuselage was covered in fabric on the sides and the top was wood. The cockpit was open at the top. The upper longerons were made from 20 x 30 thou Evergreen strip with cross pieces from the same material.

I have also started to make the male mould for the front of the cockpit.

I intend to mould the front lower part of the fuselage and glue the front of the longerons to the top of the mould. I checked the shape and size of the longerons against the mould so that when the plastic is moulded the new front of the fuselage will exactly fit the frame.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:48:02 AM by lone modeller »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: 1/72 Avro Type D Biplane 1911
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 07:49:18 AM »
Stephen,
     Another rare and very interesting subject; I'm looking forward to following along, the results, and of course the "presentation"!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 08:02:43 AM »
This is gonna be awsome  8)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 08:04:57 AM »
A great and historical subject Stephen, I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 10:01:30 AM »
I loved that movie as a kid and you're off to a great start on your build! :D

George

Offline IanB

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 10:43:55 AM »
Popcorn ordered, nothing more to say......

Ian

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 12:31:35 PM »
Nice!  Really looking forward to this.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 01:24:15 PM »
Will be following along as you progress  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline ermeio

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »
Nice subject I had my old Pyro kit in my hands yesterday and I was tempted to finish it.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 09:30:45 PM »
Stephen,
Like the others I am looking forward to seeing what you do with this one! I always enjoy watching your processes! Nice start on the frame!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 10:56:31 PM »
Stephen, I never tire of your little jewels.  The Avro will
be great to follow.  Lead on, my friend! ;) ;D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline radio

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 12:00:23 AM »
Great beginning Stephen.
Martin

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 03:41:17 AM »
Thank you Lance, Thumbs Up, Des, George, Ian, Bud, Terri, Ermio, Rick, Ernie and Martin for the kind remarks. I really appreciate the feedback that you give.

Lance: I will try to provide the usual standard of information both during the build and when the model is finished. Thank you for your kind remarks and appreciation.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 04:19:59 AM »
Evening All,

I have moulded the fuselage parts (at the third or fourth attempt: for some reason I could not get the plastic card to the correct temperature to get a good mould) and painted the interior and added the ribs from 20 x 30 thou Evergreen strip.

I cut off the rear of the moulding to the correct length to represent the fabric covered fore-part of the fuselage.

The hole in the fuselage side is for the control horn which will be fitted later. The ribs on the upper fuselage frame were then glued to the top of the forward fuselage moulding and a piece of 20 x 30 thou strip glued to the v at the bottom. ThenI could build up the vertical supports on the uncovered part of the rear fuselage.

I also cut out the flying surfaces from 20 thou card - this was quick and simple after fiddling with the fuselage structure.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:57:35 AM by lone modeller »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 04:25:42 AM »
Awesome update, Stephen!  The moulded fuselage turned out brilliantly and the wings and tail surfaces look fantastic.  Truly inspiring work.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence