Author Topic: 1/32 WWI Aircraft Kits OTHER THAN WnW that are really good  (Read 4092 times)

Michael Scarborough

1/32 WWI Aircraft Kits OTHER THAN WnW that are really good
« on: June 26, 2015, 06:20:17 AM »
(Des, If this is the wrong place for this thread please move it.)

Is There 1/32 Scale Life other than Wingnuts Wings?

I will admit to being spoiled by the quality and engineering of the Wingnut Wings kits. They are why I got back into WWI aircraft modeling after decades away. Like some of the other Forum-ites, I have been expressing my wish that WnW would do a full line of Nieuports, among other offerings of planes that are already produced by other manufacturers.

Now, I will also admit to having no experience with WWI kits by any manufacturer of 1/32 kits other than WnW.

So, those of you who do have experience with 1/32 kits other than Wingnuts, I would appreciate hearing about those worth the money and time required to build them. To me, that means the following:

- they are accurate enough in outline and shape not to need cosmetic surgery.

- All the parts fit well. Fuselage halves join without major amounts of putty; fuselage halves fit over cockpit and engine subassemblies without scraping down parts.

- There are not "panel lines" a scale 1" wide that need filling. There is not a facsimile of "fabric texture" a scale 1" deep that needs sanding off. Upper wings are properly aligned over lower wings and all the struts are in the right place.

- No pegs of any sort need to be added to the end of struts.

- The cockpit and engine are well enough detailed that they can be assembled, as is, and the use of aftermarket parts is not mandatory. (EX. Lots of people choose Taurus engines over the WnW offerings. But, as many builds here have shown, the WnW engines assembled straight out of the box will build into really fine representations of the real thing.)

Do these requirements make me a lazy model builder? I don't think so...I put a lot of time into my models...I just prefer to NOT have to spend that time making corrections to a poorly researched, designed or engineered kit. And, let's just say that like a lot of other guys who started building models in the early 1960s, I did my time with filling and sanding....and I will not go back to it when there are kits like the Wingnuts kits that allow one to enjoyably build a highly accurate, well detailed model with a minimum of agita, and the desire to throw the unfinished "piece of crap" against the wall cussing more colorfully than 5 colored lozenge on a Flying Circus Fokker D. VII.

So, please let me know what other kits are available that you feel fit the bill.

Sincere thanks,
Michael

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: 1/32 WWI Aircraft Kits OTHER THAN WnW that are really good
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 06:32:31 AM »
Michael, I have started my adventure with 1/32 from Roden's Spad 7. It was a total novelty for me. I would summarise this kit as very Rodenish, not perfect fit, far from WNW tight tolerances, but still - doable with a reasonable amount of putty. I have decided to add a full set of PE parts from Part and this made it much more surgerish. But straight from the box it would be fine, too. The surface detail is lovely, far from those trenches seen on their SSW. Struts do have pegs but they do not run deep enough into their holes to hold on themselves without a support for the time of glueing. Cockpit interior is rich enough without aftermarket additions, but again, it is not WNW.
If you like to see my way through it, there is a thread on ancient The Aerodrome Modelling Section:
http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?s=0bd074b0d46151f39ccf4c7422d6a86a&t=50150
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 06:37:31 AM »
Hobbycraft SPAD XIII is good, as apparently are Hobbycraft Clerget and LaRhone Camel.
SpecialHobby Bristol M 1 C is good as well.
All the Roden are Fair and the Nieuport are good, pity that the details are soft when compared with the 3D work of love of the WNW kits.

everything scratchbuilt is good....

Offline James

1/32 WWI Aircraft Kits OTHER THAN WnW that are really good
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 06:45:50 AM »
Not to get off topic, but are there any 1/48 WWI Aircraft kits that might be Wingnut quality? Eduard? Blue Max?
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline petrov27

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 07:17:13 AM »
That is a tough question....

I would say some of Roden's stuff comes close but not quite what you are asking. their Nieuport 28 is a solid kit, I dont recall any outline problems to fix, has a fairly complete interior and the detail is good. About the only aftermarket I would say is needed is the Aviattic Seat and their cowling is also a nice improvement.
-Patrick

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 07:20:07 AM »
It's a good question Michael and one that has been raised in the past. We all know that if you want a really good WW1 aircraft model Wingnuts are the way to go, good quality, excellent fit and builder friendly, there is no question about it. But there are many other 1:32 scale WW1 aircraft kits available, Roden, Special Hobby, Hobby Craft, Academy, Battle Axe, Omega, Alley Cat, HPH and Aviattic just to name a few. I have built kits from all the mentioned manufacturers and even though some were very bad, I never gave up on a kit. My worst experience were the Omega kits, extremely poor quality, fit issues and pathetic instructions. Second to Omega was the Battle Axe Fokker E.III, not quite as bad but close. I have built all of Roden's 1:32 scale WW1 aircraft kits and found them to be quite respectable, they do require some extra TLC but build up to be nice models, the decals leave a lot to be desired though.

I think it all boils down to the individual modeler, if you want a "shake n bake" kit go for a Wingnuts, everything else needs a little time and effort. I built the Alley Cat Bristol M.1c when it was released, brilliant, I have the HPH Macchi M.5 in my stash and appears to be brilliant as well, and the soon to be released Ansaldo by Aviattic should be up there with Wingnuts. Sorry to ramble on but these are my thoughts, in my opinion all kits are worth tackling.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 08:20:20 AM »
Michael,
    My only experience in 1:32 Builds outside of the WNW Line are Roden; I've done the Nieuport 28, the Albatros DIII, and the Fokker DR.1, and liked them all. Some of your criteria may be somewhat "stretched" by these , or other Roden Kits. For example all three needed extra TLC on the cockpits, and the mounting of upper wings a bit of attention as the struts don't just pop into proper alignment like the majority of Wingnut Wings subjects. The one big exception, mentioned by Des, are their decals. To steal a quote here on another subject, they are complete crap! Having said that I like their Kits, and it sharpens your skills when those one or two minor modifications or additions are required.
   My advice/recommendation; buy a (relatively inexpensive) DR.1 or the Encore F1, add a few AM Decals (Pheon's JG II Sheet is excellent) and you'll be very pleased. Watch the middle wing fit on the front cowling which is the only (minor in it's solution) structural short coming. If you take a quick peek in the "Show us your Fokker DR.1" Thread here you'll see some really exceptional models, and none are WNW!
Break a leg!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 08:26:46 AM »
I've been building plastic scale models since the mid-1950s. I just don't like, buy or have time for model kits that aren't engineered, produced or documented at anything less than acceptable standard. What is that? That is me devoting my time and effort to assembling, painting, decals and weathering an accurate, well-engineered model that does not demand I correct, add to or modify the manufacturer's mistakes to achieve an quality outcome.

Wingnut Wings kits are the only WWI kits I will buy until someone meets their level of quality and accuracy.

I think making an amazing model from a substandard kit is an awesome modeling effort, but it's not for me. I have a hard enough time producing an acceptable model from a Wingnut Wings kit.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 08:31:36 AM »
Hey guys,

This is great feedback and, I, for one, very much appreciate it. I started this thread but it is really meant to be a community discussion.

I actually have the Roden Fokker Triplane and will definitely build it. Even if WnW release one in the future, as Lance said, there's no shortage of wonderful decals available to make several colorful variations.

My biggest concern is going ahead and purchasing some of these other Roden, etc. kits and then have WnW surprise us with the same plane. I believe they have said that they'd produce no duplicates of planes already available as kits by other manufacturers, but, I believe the Camel changed that plan.

In the end, as Des said it all comes down to the individual builder. For the present, I am a builder whose desires have been stated: give it to me easy and then I can spend my time playing with paint.

Anyway, let's keep the conversation going.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 09:24:04 AM »
Michael,
I can only echo what you and the others have said. Believe it or not I was hooked on 1/32nd by the Roden kits. WNW just set the hook! Take a look at my kit to kit comparison in my current SE5a build and you will see my thoughts as well as others on Roden/Encore and WNW. The Special Hobbies and A Model Nieuport 11/16s' are lovely kits but need work as others have said. As for the best over all Roden kit my money is on the Nieuport 28 , especially with the aftermarket available from Aviattic, and I seriopusly doubt we will see one any time soon by WNW.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 12:22:51 PM »
OK, Rick...thanks for the input.

The good news so far is that the Nieuport 28, in 1/72 by Revell in the early 60s, was one of the kits that got me hooked on WWI aircraft (besides the 1/1 scale Fokker Triplane my dad was building....)

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 01:13:46 PM »
OK, Rick...thanks for the input.

The good news so far is that the Nieuport 28, in 1/72 by Revell in the early 60s, was one of the kits that got me hooked on WWI aircraft (besides the 1/1 scale Fokker Triplane my dad was building....)

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

So what happened with the 1/1 Fokker? Did your dad finish it? Do you have pics?

George

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 02:31:54 PM »
I have allmost finished building the Special Hobby Bristol M.1c and it is very good. The interior is almost as good as a WNW, the seat is even better. The outside fuselage, engine and wing are very good with a little bit of work, the only thing that lets it down a little is the fuselage interior, buh that not too visble anyway.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 09:43:36 PM »
I've spent some time with the Roden Albatros kits. Certainly a step below WNW in a few areas but by no means horrible or unbuildable. Outlines are generally pretty good, lots of detail if a little clunky. Moldings aren't as crisp and sometimes you'll encounter flash, sinkholes and warped parts... But really, nothing the average modeller can't deal with.

The HpH Macchi is indeed brilliant looking, the parts are absolutely beautifully cast -- but I'm pretty sure it will fall short of your criteria in terms of ease of assembly (you have to scratch some of the struts for example) and then there is the fairly glaring issue of the incorrect wing floats for the schemes provided (though they, too, are beautiful and delicatel castings)

Offline iwik

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 10:37:19 PM »
Not to get off topic, but are there any 1/48 WWI Aircraft kits that might be Wingnut quality? Eduard? Blue Max?

Hi!
Gaspatch 's Salmson.
As for 1/32, nothing equals WNW. Even WNW kits have some issues if you really want to find some...
Ciao
Iwik