Author Topic: 1/16 Sopwith Camel  (Read 16905 times)

Offline Rizzo

1/16 Sopwith Camel
« on: July 03, 2012, 08:20:58 PM »
I wasn't too sure about posting this here, because I expect it to be such a long term build. But there isn't another one of these models posted yet, so I guess it might still be of interest to someone, and maybe others will try out these kits too :)

The kit contains a huge number of metal parts, some laser-cut wood, more wood of various sizes (all lime/basswood), and various other materials for wiring etc. When you open the box it actually looks quite empty, but once the metal parts are taken out of their very cramped container, it fills up quite well! Actually while the packaging certainly stops things rattling around, it does warp some of the larger metal pieces, so some reshaping is required later on.

The first stage was making the all metal engine. I've put together the main parts for this, but I'm leaving it for now, while I decide how to proceed. It's ok for what it is, but has rather soft low resolution detail. For example, there are less than half the number of cooling fins the real engine has, presumably to avoid any casting issues with detail that's too fine.
I will either: carry on with it as is, scratch make some parts with plastic card, make a CAD model and have a company print it out in resin for me.

The third option will be expensive, and my job is producing 3d models... so not something I do for fun in the evenings anymore! It would produce the best results though.

So while I make my mind up on that one, I've made progress with the wings instead. The first step is to prepare all those ribs, and that alone took a few evenings. After staining them, each one is sanded (got to get rid of charring from the laser cutting process) and pinned to the rib caps, so that the rib lies in the middle.

I've now got the ribs in place on the spars. Still lots to do, but I'm finding it a very satisfying part of the kit to make.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: 1/16 Sopwith Camel
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:30:06 PM »
No problems at all posting your build here, this forum is for WW1 aircraft models of any scale, any material, so your 1:16 scale Sopwith Camel fits in beautifully.

I am looking forward to seeing you progress with this build, I have been very keen on these large scale models for some time so I will be very interested to see how you tackle it, your work so far looks great and what road you decide to take with the engine I'm sure it will be an excellent result, please keep us posted.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:55:49 PM »
Looks pretty much like youre building the real thing

Steve

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:25:08 AM »
Very interested to see this build progress, thanks for sharing!

mike in calif

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 01:01:36 AM »
I too have this kit, so I'll be watching!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 01:11:01 AM »
So glad you're posting this here, Rizzo.  I'm really looking forward to following your progress.  I would love to score one of these.  Too bad they're no longer available.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 01:49:08 AM »
So glad you're posting this here, Rizzo.  I'm really looking forward to following your progress.  I would love to score one of these.  Too bad they're no longer available.
Cheers,
Bud

You can still get them, direct from ModelExpo (who make this under the ModelAirways name) :)
http://www.modelexpo-online.com/page.asp?lp=7008

I you're maybe thinking of the Hasegawa version though? I'd like to get hold of one of those too, although it's twice as big again... I wouldn't have nearly enough room to display the thing properly!

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 02:10:26 AM »
Thanks, Rizzo.  Yeah, I was thinking of the Hasagawa kit.  :-[ Still want one of those.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 07:22:42 PM »
I've now got most of the woodwork in place for the upper wing, and with all that under a few layers of varnish, the next step is going to be to add in all the metal fittings. I've decided to make my own though, so it'll be a bit of a slow process as I cut all the parts out of brass sheet.

One thing worth mentioning for anyone else that makes this model- watch for the front of the wingtips. If you use the cast metal parts as they are, it leaves too little room to blend in the wood and will force the wing tip to follow the wrong shape (as on the left here). A real Camel doesn't have that triangular bit anyway, so I cut it off, and let the metal tip meet the front spar further out (as on the right)

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 02:06:36 AM »
Now this will be interesting.
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 02:10:51 AM »
Excellent progress, Rizzo.  You've gotten an awful lot done in such a short time.  Outstanding.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 02:25:51 AM »
Do those brass tips have a bit of an airfoil shape?

Steve

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 03:08:34 AM »

Steve

Not really- on the real aircraft it just has a simple curved rod that shapes the outline of the wing (and the whole wingtip tapers down to this level), so that's all the part on the kit needs to do.
With lots of these parts, they're made more chunky than in reality though, so things don't get too fragile.

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 03:19:45 AM »

Steve

Not really- on the real aircraft it just has a simple curved rod that shapes the outline of the wing (and the whole wingtip tapers down to this level), so that's all the part on the kit needs to do.
With lots of these parts, they're made more chunky than in reality though, so things don't get too fragile.

Probably not a bad idea really, especially for a ham fisted guy like myself.  :)
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 07:03:27 AM »
  Rizzo,
Excellent project my friend. I'm looking forward to following along with this thread. Outstanding progress to date.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"