Author Topic: 1/16 Sopwith Camel  (Read 16904 times)

Offline Rizzo

Re: 1/16 Sopwith Camel
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 05:07:59 AM »
Well I've only had a few days to work on this one in the last month, and I probably won't get much more time for at least another two weeks :( But, I did at least get the seat done. It was one of the parts in the kit that really needed to be replaced. Not perfect, but I think it will be a nice upgrade still :) I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly it came together too, although it still needs some shading on the paint to add a bit of depth and variation.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 05:30:43 AM »
Amazing seat, Rizzo.  Truly brilliant.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 06:30:15 AM »
  Rizzo,
Outstanding work on the seat my friend. Vast improvement over the supplied seat.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 07:02:09 AM »
Excellent work on the seat Rizzo, and a great choice of colours.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 08:48:57 AM »
Rizzo - everyone is enjoying your seat - it must be those designer slacks you wear.........but really the work is excellent!!!!

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 12:55:10 PM »
Rizzo,
    "Eye Candy" to the serious modeller, beautiful work! Can't wait to see the bird in it's entirety.
Cheers,
Lance 8)

Offline Carpo

• A gallery of my Models
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 04:47:11 PM »
What colour have you painted the seat? It is just the perfect colour for cane!
Carpo
The air force will always need technicians because pilots need heroes too.

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 05:42:36 PM »
Thanks for all the comments :)

What colour have you painted the seat? It is just the perfect colour for cane!
Carpo

It was Vallejo (model clolour) yellow ochre with a bit of medium fleshtone brushed on seperately, to break up the colour uniformity a bit. It's still a bit too uniform though, so I think I'll dry brush some light and dark shades over the top... I don't think the weave is neat enough to use a wash on though... it'd just highlight all the wobbles!

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2012, 01:08:34 PM »
Rizzo, as everyone said, that seat looks brilliant. This is an engaging build.

Dal.

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 11:03:50 PM »
I've got the main fuselage frame together now, and I have to admit I'm glad that bit is done! It may not look it, but 90% of the work here was just in those PE rigging points. They're a nice update to make though, firstly because the kit parts look quite bulky and inaccurate, but also because they miss out 2/3 of the rigging wires. Quite deliberately I suspect, but it's still going to be a noticable omission.

Instead, I tried to copy the attachments the real aircraft has. And this required three PE parts and three pins to be shaped and joined together at each point (and there's 26 points) so it was very tedious...

That part done, I then had a quite a struggle to get the frame together, as it wasn't initially strong enough to cope with the bend put into it. Eventually, after using far more glue than I'd have liked, it came together with the joins looking a bit too messy, but much less noticeable once I'd cleaned things up a bit.

So now I've got a long list of parts to make for the fuselage, and it's proving to be much less repetitive, and a lot more fun :)

I've used some more of the PE sheet to make the throttle quadrant, and started on a new instrument panel. This is another part I'd recommend replacing in the kit, less because of the shape issues, more because the kit part is just far too low (about 4mm which even in 1/16 is a lot).

I've been having quite a few problems with photobucket here btw, so not sure if all the photos will load...

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 01:20:49 AM »
  Rizzo,
Very impressive work on the airframe my friend. You attachment points are awesome and I'm quite excited about seeing all the internal rigging in place shortly. Absolutely love your throttle quadrant too ,it's such excellent P.E work. When fully plumbed it'll be perfect. Looking forward to seeing more of your instrument panel.I've got a feeling it going to be awesome is every detail.Thanks for such a informative and pleasurable thread to follow my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 01:37:15 AM »
Ditto what Gregory said. Makes me want to take on the 1/16th D.Va.

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2012, 10:18:22 PM »
Thanks for the comments :)

As well as working on some of the cockpit parts, I've also been starting work on the aluminium covers and cowl. A Camel isn't a Camel without it's hump :) I did consider vac-forming, or hammering the shapes out of aluminium. In the end I thought 3d printing would be the best option- I'll cover it with aluminium foil later.

First I scanned the frame and imported this in, so I could re-create it in 3d (better than using plans, as making the frame wasn't exactly precision engineering!).

Using several blueprints for the different parts I then modelled them in, as well as the missing wooden bits- I'll also be using this file to create templates to cut the wood from

There's still plenty of detail missing in the model, including most of the circular cut-outs. But I should have it done sometime later this week. Some things like the Vickers are just placeholders to fit things around- no plans to print them yet.

I decided to leave out the side panels, to give a better view of the insides, so this will be the parts I get printed. It's also very fast, only six hours or so to get this far. Making it all by hand would have taken me ten times that I'd think!

So far, it's proving quite a useful way to work out how to make what is quite a tightly packaged area of the aircraft.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:20:29 PM by Rizzo »

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2012, 10:03:08 PM »
Here's the printed parts:

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2012, 08:26:48 AM »
Wow, that's very cool Rizzo!!

Nicely done ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice