Author Topic: 1/16 Sopwith Camel  (Read 16906 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: 1/16 Sopwith Camel
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 12:03:03 AM »
Logic keeps screaming out at me, "too big, no room" etc. etc.
 Then I check the Web Site and the Albie's on for half price...........hopefully if I can drag my feet for a while the sale will end, or I'll be moving into the Dog Run!
   Really interesting and a pleasure to watch (Hopefully from a distance!)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 09:57:25 AM »
Rizzo, that's amazing work.  I'm glad you decided to post this one, I'll enjoy following this build.

Thanks.

Dal.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 10:29:54 AM »
Wow, this will be excellent Rizzo, watching intently!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 07:49:49 PM »
I've now fitted the trailing edge parts, and the struts that make up the rigging structure inside the wing.

The kit has single metal bars for those struts which need drilling through to allow the rigging to be fitted, while the real aircraft has a wooden structure with metal tags to fit the rigging terminals to. So I ditched the kit parts completely, and cut the fittings out of brass, and made the struts from lime wood. I've also attached the turnbuckles, copying the method Des uses, just scaled up.

Along with the brass parts I used for the trailing edge, this needed over 70 parts to be cut, drilled and sanded, and now I'm looking at the fuselage, which will need much more... the rigging definately needs something better there too.

So, to save myself a lot of time, I decided to design a photo etch sheet, of all the parts I can think I'll need (instrument bezels, footplates, pulleys, there's plenty of white metal bits I'd like to improve). That's not proving to be much fun, and will take a bit of time, but I'm hoping it''ll be worth it! I won't make the photo etch myself though (with a 7 year old running around I don't want those chemicals in the house), so I've found a company that can do it for me at a reasonable price.

I will try to balance how much I change though; I'm finding there's a danger, when everything is visible, to get drawn into accuracy too much, and it stops being fun. So my aim is just to improve the bits I really don't like the look of, and leave the rest as it is.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 08:00:40 PM »
Those are wise words, Rizzo. It's important to remember why we are doing these things.

Looking forward to seeing your results with the outsourced pe. I've thought about designing my own pe as well but don't relish the idea of yet another toxic hobby station.

The wing is looking really fantastic, btw. :)

Offline Tomek

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 01:10:24 AM »
Lovely work, Rizzo!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 01:54:12 AM »
This is the best approach to what we do - make it the way you enjoy it the most. P.E challenges along with straight forward building make  problems, with a bit of thought process, solvable and the end result is a very satisfying experience!!!!

Steve

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 09:54:12 PM »
  Rizzo,
Wow truly impressive work my friend. Looking forward to more. I think you should be congratulated for such high levels of Craftsmanship and skills,Well Done.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ericw43

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 10:42:43 AM »
This is interesting and I like it. Craftmanship and construction.
But my past experience in modelling is wooden ships so I find this appealing.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 01:28:12 AM »
Rizzo,
    Your comment regarding achieving a "balance" when it comes to reality/detail and the spirit of the hobby really struck home; I like your conclusion a lot as I often struggle with the same contradictions. It's a very fine line between when is "more too much" and enjoyment of the hobby; one I often have trouble with. I admire your problem solving skills! Great project and make sure it stays enjoyable. (watching this build will be for me)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 07:09:52 PM »
I love that wing.
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2012, 08:30:30 PM »
I've not had much time to do anything on this in the last week or so, but I did get my photo-etch sheet done :)

It took a bit of discussion to figure out the best format (I wanted to use photoshop vectors), but after that I got the finished sheet within three days of sending them the files. I used a company called PPDltd and the price isn't cheap, but not expensive for what it is either (about £40 for an A4 sized one off sheet). The quality looks great, and as it'll make a nice difference to an expensive kit I felt it was worth doing.

You can see the sheet here next to a test print of the design (the paper version was was printed minus the black borders and with oversized instruments)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 01:24:35 AM »
Very cool. So did you use PS vectors or something else? Does the vendor have a website?

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 01:57:56 AM »
Very cool. So did you use PS vectors or something else? Does the vendor have a website?

Yep, their website is: http://www.ppdltd.com/

We didn't come up with any way to use the photoshop file directly (they wanted cad or illustrator files), so in the end I just saved it as a raster image in high resolution (I think it was 300 pixels per cm- as two 2mb jpg files so I could still email the thing). You can't see any hint of pixelation, so that seemed to work just fine :)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 10:31:28 AM »
Good to know, thanks. I'm pretty handy with Illustrator, so that's encouraging...

Carry on! :-)