Author Topic: First WWI build - WnW Sopwith Pup  (Read 3322 times)

Offline nichenson

First WWI build - WnW Sopwith Pup
« on: April 04, 2015, 06:42:14 AM »
Got my second shipment from WnW today.  I even placed a third order and have plans for a fourth, lol.  Anyway, in today's box was my decision for a first kit, the Sopwith Pup.  I am not 100% sure on which scheme I will be building.  It is a toss between these two.

The first is one of the kit choices.  The second is from Pheon Models.  I have already ordered those decals.  I also have ordered the HGW superdetail set (mainly just to see what all it comes with, not sure how much can be improved on these kits).  Also, in the process of ordering some items from Aviattics.  Really excited to try their CDL decals.  Anyway, here is the ubiquitous pic of the box.

I do not have all the paints I needed for this build so I have what is left coming this next week; however, I will be starting on this over the weekend.  I hope you all can give me some good pointers during this.  If you see something that needs improving by all means point it out.  This is a learning build for me.

Thanks,
Nic

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: First WWI build - WnW Sopwith Pup
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 07:06:56 AM »
Well done Nic, you have chosen an excellent kit as your first WW1 aeroplane build. There are quite a few build logs of this kit on the forum and one on my website so you should be able to pick up a few pointers along the way. Looking forward to seeing your first steps in this build.

Link to my website build;  http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page13.html

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline zavod44

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 08:38:32 AM »
Don't have a clue what it is but that black color scheme is spectacular....

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 08:50:13 AM »
    The RNAS Pup was my first Wingnut Kit, and I still regard it as one of their better ones. There are a few minor pitfalls in the construction but as Des says above there are plenty of Build Logs here to keep you well ahead of them and out of trouble. Great choice, and enjoy!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 10:58:33 AM »
Great choice! I'm building the same kit right now, but it's not exactly out of the box...  ::)

I think the Pheon decals version would be cool and unique. I haven't seen that done much.

George

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »
Good choice, Nic!  I think the Pup is an absolutely gorgeous little aeroplane
and makes a great first model.  You should have a ball with it. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 12:44:53 PM »
Hi Nic,

as Lance has said there are several pointers about improving the WNW Pup - one of my favourites too.

For example, this one deals with the apparent wing-fuselage fit problems:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3147.msg53082#msg53082

pretty simple, and it worked for me.

As for the Pheon 'Nighfighter', this is my attempt:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3652.msg62148#msg62148

If you proceed with this and want any clues as how I interpreted this scheme - somewhat different from other interpretations - let me know. You will also need three lamps/lights and two Holt flare-holders - these are available in a couple of other RFC kits - and the cockpit/forward fuselage decking needs modifying.

Good luck.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Offline nichenson

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 03:10:10 AM »
Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  I am still waiting on some parts to come in, but I have started prepping the kit.  I have decided to do C312 and have managed to find an actual picture of the plane.

Thanks also to GrahamB and Des for sharing the links.  I have already started on fixing these fit issues.  I am glad these are easy fixes.  I m hoping to have the paint in next week so I can post some pics.  Bare plastic doesn't photo very well, lol.

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 10:34:44 AM »
Nic,

I'm looking forward to this as this kit is on my to-do list.  Hard not to like that night fighter scheme; it will be a real eye-catcher.

Chris

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 11:06:28 AM »
I am pleased that you have decided to do the night scheme, it is very stunning, looking forward to seeing you make a start.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline nichenson

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 11:19:46 AM »
Ok, a little update for today.  I finally got a chance to paint a little.  This is the first time I have ever used Tamiya Acrylics.  I must say that the single action airbrush I tried to use was having issues.  I believe the needle assembly is not in the air flow properly.  I switched over to my trusted Badger 150 and everything seemed to work fine.  I applied a XF59 to all of the wooden areas.  These will get some oils tomorrow.  I also painted the inside of the fuselage XF55, however most of it will get covered by the wonderful Aviattic CDL decals I got in the mail.  I will pick out the wooden details once the decals have dried and a clear applied.  Tomorrow hopefully I can get all the aluminum parts painted.  In today's mail was the new Barracuda seats.  I may use the small one to replace the kit's version which is the gray one in the pic.  BTW, while the paint was drying, I was working on re-insulating the ceiling in the garage which is the floor for upstairs.  I didn't know it at the time, but a field mouse and her two babies had made a nest in there.  About had the crap scared out of me as the mouse came flying and landed on my jeans, lol.

Nic

Deleted the attachments and uploaded them to my site.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 11:47:16 AM »
Looking forward on seeing how this turn out :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 12:35:36 PM »
Welcome to the Pup fray, Nic.

The RNAS Pup was my first Wingnuts build and I had a blast with it. I'm on my second now, the RFC Pup.

As Graham has said, the cockpit assembly to lower wing fit can be a pain but follow the advice given and you'll be fine. I may be the only one who had problems, (I have 10 thumbs each made of lead) but I found the cabane struts that are attached to the cockpit assembly to be pretty delicate. Also, make sure the forward cabane struts are lined up well...although the engineering of the kits makes this pretty easy.

The night fighter scheme is super and the Pheon decals are a joy to work with.

As far as you mentioning that you're "not sure how much can be improved on these kits", well, have a gander at:

George's Pup: http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=5223.0

Bo's D. VII (etc): http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3778.0

Bertl's LVG (etc.): http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3988.0

...and they're not the only madmen among us!

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline KevinM

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 01:58:36 PM »
Some Nice aftermarket seats Nic.I have one WNW kit and that's the Albatross DV they look like nice kits my skills and knowledge of WWI is about 0%  :)

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 02:34:53 AM »
Looks like you are off to a great start!   Welcome aboard. 

Those seats look great; I have been thinking of including one in an upcoming build I'm planning, so will be interested to hear what you think. 

Chris