Author Topic: Sopwith Pup on Skis 1/32  (Read 22706 times)

Offline Pgtaylorart

Sopwith Pup on Skis 1/32
« on: February 19, 2015, 11:29:35 AM »
Hello,

I've started my Pup for the Group Build. I haven't decided exactly what plane it will be based on in real life, but I know what I want it to look like. I'm not even sure if this exact version even existed, but it will be the RNAS with skis (or skids) for carrier landing, have a clear window area in the center section of the top wing, and have the sides of the fuselage covered in CDL. If this never existed then I guess I'm taking some artistic license. I think it is at least feasible.

I'm starting with the WNW kit, but I'm heavily modifying it to create the translucent quality of the doped linen over the wings and fuselage. I'll be scratch building the wings and the whole fuse frame from cardstock.

Here's the WNW kit and some reference photos:

These pics show the clear upper wing section and the translicent linen effect I'm trying for. I really like how the sun is shining through the inside of the cockpit walls.

Here are some pics of my test builds. The ribs and spars are card stock.

Here's a test section to experiment with using shrink wrap to cover the wing.

I then covered a section with Aviattic linen decals.  I moved the light in front and behind to show the translucency.

These are a bit rough and don't yet have rib tapes, etc., but hopefully the technique will work.

Thanks,
George

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Sopwith Pup on Skis 1/32
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 11:49:51 AM »
Super cool George

Offline petrov27

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 11:52:06 AM »
Your test sections look very impressive! So you intend to build the whole wings from scratch with the ribs and aviattic decals covering?
-Patrick

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 12:22:45 PM »
Very impressive result George.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 12:24:14 PM »
Thanks Bo, Petrov, and Des

Yes Petrov, if it all works out as planned, I'm going to basically build a framework model and shrink wrap it with plastic then cover it with Aviattic decals. It's a bit ambitious, but we have extra time with all the Felix builds.  ;D

...and I still have to finish the Fokker D.VII I started at Christmas time. (The engine is almost done, I'll post pics soon)

George

Offline Royston

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 09:58:13 PM »
wow George, that looks great.
Question, how did you go about cutting the frames to get them the same size, including the centres.

Roy

Offline Royston

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 10:41:21 PM »
Little bit of info George.

HMS Furious,
lots of trials were held on this ship, The RN were going into the unknown blindfolded so to speak.
Squadron Leader Dunning was killed during one such trial.
He had made two landings and attempted a third but a gust of wind caught his aircraft and although the deck crew tried to hang on it was blown over the side and Dunning was drowned in the cockpit.

No brakes so no friction your ski's would provide that friction , the RN also launched sea planes from her using a wheeled bogie that would be left behind as the plane took off, so same principle could be applied to your build.
Sadly shots of all the experimental testing are far and few between.

Roy 

Offline xan

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 12:14:29 AM »
Waoh!this technic surely works with this style of models isnt'it?

Can you give more details in the way youcut make in tension and glue the shrinkWrap?

it gives interesting perpectives...

Xan
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:23:42 AM by xan »
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 03:39:10 AM »
Wonderful. Shows some incredible potential and skill.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Online Dirigible-Al

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 04:47:28 AM »
Hello George

Firstly thanks for picking something with sticks for feet as I thought I might be the only one after seeing all these wonderfull Brandenburgs and felixstowes on this GB.

Secondly WOW!
That is one ambitious plan. I love seeing inovative skills and ideas like this, it is what makes this hobby exiting. I cannot wait to see the effect when the wings and fuselage come together.

Cheers, Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 04:52:59 AM »
This is certainly something different. One to watch, I think.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 05:20:54 AM »
Wow, George! One of the things I love about this forum is the willingness of talented modellers like yourself to try out different approaches and share the outcomes with us all.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 06:25:10 AM »
Absolutely brilliant, George!

Jörg

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 01:42:46 PM »
Thank you all for the very nice comments!

Some of you have asked about how I cut, shrink wrapped, glued, etc., the wing section. This weekend I'll post some photos and show a step by step process. Keep in mind, I'm just sort of still experimenting, so I'm refining this as I go, and hoping it works out as planned.  :D

George

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 12:29:08 AM »
    You are breaking new ground here George, and the results are, so far, spectacular. Incredible, keep at it! This is going to be a pleasure to follow! :) :o
Cheers,
Lance