Author Topic: Voisin III  (Read 49536 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Voisin III
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 09:01:37 AM »
I looked at the build sequence as if i was building a real aeroplane, the fuselage frame is the place to start, everything else gets nailed to it.

The cylinders are made from 4.0mm aliminium rod, a brass tube was placed on top then shaped to suit the photos I have of this engine. I made a grid on my computer drawing program to get the nine equal spacings for the holes in the crank case for the cylinder placement, a hole was drilled in the bottom of each cylinder and a pin will hold them to the crank case.

This picture shows the nine cylinders sitting loose on the crank case, it was important to get the spacing exactly correct. I will use CA to hold the cylinders in place, along with the pin they should be quite strong. Not having any dimensions it is a trial and error thing, fitment in the fuselage frame revealed the cylinders to be too long, adjustments need to be made.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:03:44 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 09:06:03 AM »

I looked at the build sequence as if i was building a real aeroplane, the fuselage frame is the place to start, everything else gets nailed to it...

Thought as much - thanks.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 09:55:22 AM »
I have added the accessories to the back of the engine, also the intake and exhaust maniflods as well as the heat exchange plumbing, it is a fairly complex plumbing arrangement on this engine. I have also drilled the nine holes for the spark plugs. 

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 11:47:28 AM »
Great work on the engine Des.
Your engine builds always amaze me with the fine detail you put in, outstanding!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 09:44:07 PM »
I have made and added the rocker arms and the push rods, painting has also taken place. I am leaving the crank case as natural aluminium, why paint something that is alreadt the correct colour.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 10:55:52 PM »
A masterpiece in it self, grand!

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 12:44:08 AM »
Des, this is now starting to look the 'dogs danglies', stunning build.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 01:49:25 AM »
  Des,
The Salmson is a real gem my friend. You're quite the machinist as well as a talented modeler.If you ever deside to produce more of these little beauties put me down for one. I'm debating an attempt at scratch building a Salmson later on.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 03:29:14 AM »
"Please bear in mind that this is my first ever scratch build."

C'mon, Des: who in the entire known universe do you think you're kidding??  ;D  Based on what we see in this thread, you've probably been scratchbuilding since...oh, I don't know...the age of two! At least, that's the lead I'd need to turn out something like this. What a build! Superb so far, and I'm really keen to see how you build, attach and rig the wings! Good luck, bon chance, und gluck auf!
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline keith_christie

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 03:58:09 AM »
Hi Des,

Beautiful work so far, I have been following this on your website and am waiting eagerly for the next installment.

Best regards

Keith

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 09:29:30 AM »
Very painstaking detail, great build.

Regards :)
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 01:13:17 PM »
The engine is now completed. I added the nine spark plugs and ignition leads and wired them up to the magneto, added some more plumbing and I also fitted the 18 valve springs. These are a torsion type spring, hard to see in the photos, but they were easy to make but a little difficult to fit. The two radiators are also fitted and have had the plumbing connected to them, I still need to add hose clamps.

modelmaker

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 04:50:58 PM »
Des great work mate ! I'd be really interested to see a photo of the model up against something to show size comparison. I scratchbuild all of my Auto and motorcycle models from Brass acrylic and Wood stocks to 1/5th and 1/8th scales but this is 1/32 it's a real credit to you that you get everything so accurate.

Sean

Offline Le Taureau qui rit

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2012, 03:23:11 AM »
Wow. Lovely stuff so far!

Watching this one with interest!

D.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 06:34:49 AM »
I just realized that I have been watching this but hadnt commented...so - Amazing - This is a very fine example of miniature engineering. It looks like the shopping buggy from Hell right now but its still awesome!!!!!

Steve