Author Topic: Voisin III  (Read 42327 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Voisin III
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2012, 07:28:27 AM »
Apparently, back in it's day it had the nickname Baby's Pram or Baby's Carriage, it certainly is a strange looking undercarriage arrangement.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2012, 08:30:42 AM »
I can't understand why this beauty has remained fallow for so long Des.   ???
You'd almost think that other things have been occupying your time.   ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Jose Chaica

• Jose "Von Muttley" Chaica
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2012, 09:49:50 AM »
Every time I take a look at these pictures, I just have the urge to drop everything and get back to scratchbuilding (something I´ve not done in the past 3 years).
Anyway, I don´t get tired of saying it... Excellent work, Des!... And above all, many thanks for taking so much detailed photos, and for explaining all the steps involved. :)
Jose Chaica, from Portugal.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »
Every time I take a look at these pictures, I just have the urge to drop everything and get back to scratchbuilding (something I´ve not done in the past 3 years).
Anyway, I don´t get tired of saying it... Excellent work, Des!... And above all, many thanks for taking so much detailed photos, and for explaining all the steps involved. :)

Funny, every time I look at these pictures, I have the desire to take up Needle Point  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 12:23:10 PM »
Just a small update. I have made and added the wing support frames, these are made from brass tube and have metal pins to locate the top wing. The top wing is quite weightly, and long, so the brass tubes will hold it very well.

Offline Marvin

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »
Des:

Your Voisin 3 is superb...an excellent example of the fine art of scratchbuilding. The mix of metal work and plastic is terrific, and shows us all what we need to shoot for.

Will your Voisin be in French livery, Russian, or another air arm?

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 11:09:08 PM »
I am still undecided as to what scheme to use, I will have to make up my mind pretty soon though.

The wings on the Voisin are long and thin, so the making of these have had me a little worried. I decided to go with 3.0mm plastic card, the varying thickness across the wings was achieved by scrapping with a sharp Stanley Knife blade, final clean up was with fine wet and dry paper. I needed to shape the wings to an aerofoil shape so I made a jig using bits of material I had in my shed. Once the shape was achieved I pour a jug full of boiling water over the wing making sure it hit all parts of the wing, this was immediately followed by cold water. Once the clamps were removed the wings retained their shape.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:23:13 PM by Des »

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 11:15:52 PM »
Beautiful engineering and craftsmanship Des. What a jewel! She’s fast approaching becoming a crown jewel.  :)

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Jim52

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 11:41:43 PM »
Des,
      I love the "Notes to Self" on the plans! I do the same
thing but, tend to forget what they refer to! ;D

Jim

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2012, 12:58:19 AM »
You know what I love about Des' updates? Other than excellent detail, stunning craftsmanship, and on and on...

Everything is in metric! Makes this Canadian's heart swell. Cheers to all my Commonwealth brethren. Apologies to my American friends...

Excellent work, Des, but I'm sure you get sick on hearing that... ;)

Lindsay

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2012, 03:17:57 PM »
Give us 2.54cm we take 1.61 k.......

Offline Vladimir Ziska

• Nordland Models
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 07:18:08 PM »
Hi Des,

very, very,very excelent. Super works with all media, plastic, wire, brass etc. Very nice wood. Please do you have on your web any detailed instructions on wood? It is best wood.

Cheers,

Vladimir

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2012, 09:46:51 PM »
Thanks very much for all the kind comments, they are much appreciated.

I used 0.5mm plastic card cut to 1.0mm strips, these were glued onto the top and bottom surface of the wing, once dry they were sanded down to half their thickness. I applied filler to each side of the ribs building up the layers after each application was dry, a light sanding between layers kept everything nice and even. The final layer was enough to allow me to achieve the scallops between each rib giving the stretched fabric appearance, the wings are nearly ready for the final top coat.
Note: to cut the strips for the ribs I used a paper cutting guillotine, it slices the plastic card very cleanly.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2012, 04:49:26 PM »
Are you going to pin those in? They look great and in scale but man theyre thin and long.

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2012, 08:01:02 PM »
Yes Steve, they will have a pin at both leading and trailing edges plus another pin joining the two wings, the two bottom wings are also pinned front and back plus they will be glued to the fuselage. The wings are thin and long so will need plenty of support.

Des.