Author Topic: Wood with pencils  (Read 1783 times)

Offline jknaus

Wood with pencils
« on: January 26, 2015, 02:54:11 AM »
I know I saw somewhere here how to make wood using prisma colour pencils but after searching I can not find it, I have bought some pencils and would like to reread the process so I can experiment. Anyone know the thread I'm talking about?
Thanks in advance.
James

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Wood with pencils
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 04:03:32 AM »
There was the woodgrain propeller thread...

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=200.0

I did the floor boards of my D.VII with pencils, came out ok I think.:

Offline jknaus

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:22:07 AM »
Thanks Bo, thats what I was looking for. See if it will work for me.
James

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 07:54:52 PM »
Pencils are great for adding some colour variation to wood surfaces as well as hinting at "grain" patterns.  When we talk about wood "grain" we normally mean the lines we see in the wood from the tree rings.  Depending upon where the wood was cut, depends on how thick these lines are and how wide the gaps in between.  Also, it can sometimes be like an artist painting hair on a portrait - you don't paint every hair, just use techniques that make the observer think they are looking at hair.

Here is the back of the seat I painted for the WNW Roland a couple of years ago.  The plywood surface effect is a combination of a base sand colour, pencil streaks, different colour washes and a spot of Klear.  Didn't even use oils (despite the tube in the pic!). I think, if I remember, that this was my first go at using pencils hence the use of the seat back, that wouldn't be seen if I messed it up!

As with everything, I recommend giving it a trial.  If you use acrylic paints for the base, it is quick and easy and within half an hour or so you can see your results on a spare (or unseen) component...

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 08:34:07 PM »
Beautiful job with the seat Ian, the pencils look every much as good as what oils would do.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 09:23:22 PM »
That is what I keep trying for, Ian.  Beautiful work.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline jknaus

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 09:47:11 PM »
Awesome, thanks. I just want to experiment and see if I can do this. I'd be thrilled with a seat like that.
James

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 01:15:16 AM »
The work on the seat is very effective, Ian, and thank you for sharing it with us. I'm always learning something from this forum.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 05:12:01 AM »
Thanks all - if I can create that effect in what really was a few minutes, anyone can.

Another point I would make about wood, is that you rarely see wood that is completely uniform in colour.  Again, a few rubs of a pencil can add some shading on top of which you can then add grain effect..  sometimes the shading and colour variation is enough to trick the eye, without the need for "grain" on top.

James - hope this works for you, just give it a try! For the amount of use you can get from each pencil over time, they work out really really cheap.  And also if you can get satisfactory results to your eye, without needing to coat with oils, then the work dries quicker too.

As with most modelling techniques, it is whatever suits you best :)