Author Topic: ScaleModelWorld Telford 2014  (Read 6787 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: ScaleModelWorld Telford 2014
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 08:13:12 AM »
Hi Squiffy

Anyone can attend. IPMS members get free entryand can go in an hour earlier than non-members. It really is a most impressive show. Check out the Scalemodelworld site for lots of information about it.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 07:03:30 PM »
Just printing the final bits and pieces then loading the car ready to catch the ferry from Le Havre 5pm this evening. Last minute rush but not as bad as in previous years - we must be getting better or have I forgotten something????

As always, excitedly looking forward to the highlight of our WWI modelling year and like Richard I wish it went on all week!

We are next door to Richard, Amanda and Harry from Aviattic in Hall 1, next to the Airfix Take and Make stand, on the way to the exit for the competition entries.  Looking forward to seeing our old friends and meeting some new ones!

If I get a chance I'll take some snaps.

Rowan & Sabine
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline elanlane

• elan13 miniatures
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »
I'll be there with elan13 miniatures, in hall 2 with Model Display Products. It would be lovely to say hello to members.
elan13 miniatures
http://elan13.co.uk

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 09:04:27 AM »
Hi Squiffy

Anyone can attend. IPMS members get free entryand can go in an hour earlier than non-members. It really is a most impressive show. Check out the Scalemodelworld site for lots of information about it.

Best wishes
Nigel

Thanks, Nigel. I think I'll go then. I'm after some more figures from WD models for my diorama, some Aviattic lozenge for a Hannover I have to build and... well, it can't hurt to buy more kits, can it?  ;)

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 09:27:48 AM »
I'm sure you'll enjoy it, Squiffy. Maybe see you there.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2014, 07:30:45 AM »
I went, I saw, I bought some stuff. I also got rather tipsy, which was a novelty for a model show.

I was looking at one of the trade stands, which I think was being run by some Czech chap, and pondering whether or not to buy a Roden Zeppelin Staaken R.VI... Then along comes someone whom I assume was a friend of the proprietor, carrying the biggest hip-flask I've ever seen and he offers me a shot of what he said was home-made 60% proof plum brandy.

It would have been rude to refuse so I knocked it back and then along comes a Polish fellow with a bottle of Polish home-made plum brandy and offers me one...

I accepted, and knocked it back, only in the name of good international relations, you understand?  ;D ;)

I bought the Zep and fortunately I didn't have to drive myself home!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2014, 08:00:36 AM »
    Heck of a deal Squiffy. Got to go to the BIG Show, look and shop around, meet some good Folks and free drinks in the bargain. That's my kind of event! ;) I'm jealous! :o
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »
    Heck of a deal Squiffy. Got to go to the BIG Show, look and shop around, meet some good Folks and free drinks in the bargain. That's my kind of event! ;) I'm jealous! :o
Cheers,
Lance

I have to agree, sounds like my kind of place and event  8) I think I will add Telford to my Bucket List!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 07:39:25 AM »
Did anyone else who went take any photos?

I got but two on my very poor Blackberry phone. They show only a part of a fantastic mainly 72nd scale collection of WW1 aeroplanes. The chap who owned them is an even faster builder than I am. He said that he'd built the Zeppelin Staaken in a week!

I'd already bought my kit before I saw this one and until I saw this I didn't appreciate how huge it is. It dwarfs the Gotha just below and to the left of it...

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 07:50:27 AM »
Hi Squiffy

I've only just got back home from Telford and have yet to even review the photos I took, but I hope to be posting numbers of them tomorrow.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 04:56:08 PM »
but I hope to be posting numbers of them tomorrow.

Yes, pleeeeaaase.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2014, 09:46:38 PM »
Well, I got back late yesterday with a small flight cabin case heavy with goodies.  Telford is a huge exhibition, spread over three large halls. Apart from scores of trade stands and displays, there are 95 separate competition classes alone.  I took lots of photos. Do please forgive the very variable quality, it wasn’t easy with my little snapper camera and you couldn't get behind most of the WWI aircraft entries, but I’ll upload as many as are reasonable and will do so in five tranches: Competition entries 1 and 2; Displays; Trade friends; and Other things I spotted.

COMPETITION ENTRIES 1 (these are presented in Competition Class order. Do bear in mind that I saw the exhibits after the judging and some may have been removed. Others were on other display stands around the exxibition.),

Class 11: 1/71 up to 1/48 Standard kit (prop) saw this Gold Medal winning Roden Brisfit.

IMG_4935 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4936 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4937 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4938 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Class 17: 1/47 scale and larger Standard kit included this Gold Medal winning WNW DH.2

IMG_4941 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4942 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Please forgive the shadow cast by an unknown photographer in the next photo!

IMG_4944 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Class 18: 1/47 scale and larger, any source detailed and any source converted, saw this 1924 DH9 ‘Ninak’ winning a Gold Medal and the Airbrush Heaven Award and the Alan W. Hall Memorial Trophy.
IMG_4945 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4946 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Class 28: Aircraft up to 1918 – 1/72 scale and smaller, standard kit, any source detailed, any source converted, vacformed, scratch built, super detailed brought various entries. Outside the competition area there were well over a hundred Great War aircraft on display around the show and as you’ll see from one of the labels some of these featured in the competition too.

IMG_4952 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4953 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr 

IMG_4954 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Class 29:  Aircraft up to 1918 – 1/71 up to 1/48, standard kit, any source detailed, any source converted, vacformed, scratch built, super detailed brought various entries including a Gold Medal winning Albatros and a Sopwith 2F1 Camel

IMG_4957 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4960 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4958 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4959 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

So this is the first tranche of competition entries. Stand by for something jaw droppingly good in the next tranche later today.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 12:29:51 AM »
Hello Again.

After a bite to eat it’s on to COMPETITION ENTRIES 2 and how one of these did not achieve best in show defeats me, but it must have been close. Again apologies for the quality of some of the photos.

Class 30: Aircraft up to 1918 – 1/47 scale and larger, standard kit, any source detailed, any source converted, vacformed, scratch built, saw some familiar friends and a truly outstanding scratchbuild.

Commended was this Fokker D.VII (OAK)

IMG_4962 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4963 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Others in the class still there when I visited were: an Albatros D.V

IMG_4964 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

A Sopwith Snipe but please note that the Trophy award winning ticket applies to another aircraft which you’ll see in a minute

IMG_4972 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

A commended Roland D.VIa
IMG_4973 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

A Roland DIVa partially shaded by a clumsy photographer!

IMG_4974 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

An Albatros D.Va

IMG_4976 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

An SE5a that received a bronze award with a DH2 at the side.

IMG_4977 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

The DVa and the SE5a together

IMG_4981 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

A silver winning RE 8

IMG_4979 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4980 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

And now ........ the winner of the Albion Alloys Trophy, the Jim Howard Trophy, the Cross and Cockade Trophy and the IPMS Swidnica (Poland) Trophy,  and judged the best of the best model aircraft from World War I by the Swidnica Branch (thanks for correcting my original error on this Roy) was this extraordinary 100% scratchbuilt Lohner Type L.

IMG_4983 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4967 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4968 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4970 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4971 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4990 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4988 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Class 80: Diorama – aircraft saw a silver award go to this magnificent FE2b

IMG_4991 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4992 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4993 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

The card detailing the entry finished with a plea to look under the wings since the builder felt this to be the best aspect of the model.  It was difficult to photograph but the opacity of the clear doped linen has been captured beautifully.

IMG_4994 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4995 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_4996 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Class 95: Branch Champion (being any subject voted for by any IPMS Branch) had this lovely Fokker D.VII

IMG_4997 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

In case you’re wondering what became Senior National Champion, in effect, best of show overall, it was this superb piece of work, which unfortunately had to be photographed inside its display case

IMG_4999 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

So that’s it for the competition entries that I saw. I’m sure you’ll recognise some of the entries and I hope that forum members whose models I’ve shown will forgive the poor quality of the photos and my failure to accredit work to named individuals.

In the next posting, I’ll focus on individual displays in the main halls.

Best wishes
Nigel
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:00:55 AM by Nigel Jackson »

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 12:57:40 AM »
Thanks Ian, these are great!

Cheers,

Bob

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 02:40:53 AM »
Thanks Bob.

I've just got back from an Armistice Day commemoration and the unveiling of a memorial to those who died from our commune. After a meal, I'll post the next tranche of photos.

Best wishes
Nigel