Author Topic: Francesco Baracca's Ni17/2614 Academy 1/32  (Read 14465 times)

Offline ondra

Re: Francesco Baracca's Ni17/2614 Academy 1/32
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2015, 05:56:04 AM »
Hi Antonio,

hope this helps answer your question - the pilots were not supposed to put an eye directly on the lens, e. g. on the S.E.5as the sight was mounted in front of the windshield as well.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2015, 09:48:54 PM »
Hi Antonio,

hope this helps answer your question - the pilots were not supposed to put an eye directly on the lens, e. g. on the S.E.5as the sight was mounted in front of the windshield as well.

Cheers

Ondra

Thanks Ondra, it's clear what you mean, I will put an Aldis on the left of the Vickers, but will decide how to place it just after the windshield and the Vickers are both glued on the cowling.
In the meantime I have prepared a plastic rod with thwo brass tube chunks at both its ends, I have not a photo yet, will show it soon.

At the moment I am working on the wings to dim the ribs and to pierce the holes where eyelets and buckles will go.

I hope to show some progress during the week.

Ciao

Antonio

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2015, 07:10:38 PM »
Hallo friends,
this update is (if possible) is slower than usual, because of problems I encountered with the spray colors... but let's show it step by step:

Masking and presahading of wings using masking tape 0.75 mm for main ribs and 0.50 mm for the spare ribs :-) near the trailing edge...

lower surfaces:

upper surfaces

detail...

finished work

Let me show now the state of the art on my workbench yesterday night:

The result does not appear too bad, but to be honest the photos this time (due to the flash light) appear to be very benevolent and not ruthless as usual...
The color rendering on the surface showed many uneven areas that in the picture are not as evident as to the naked eye.
To mask this defect I used a heavy wheathering, but nothing of it shows in the flash light.

The nice effect I obtain is the evident difference between the metal parts (previously coated with glossy black) and the fabric ones.

I used Tamiya colors in rattle cans: TS-83 Metallic Silver, which revealed a lot of stains and uneven areas especially on the wings and tail planes (I made no picture of that horrible sight).
You can perceive some of the problems on the tail planes...

I had another small problem on the belly: inserting the tailskid in the hole the two fuselage halves opened a bit showing the junction line... It is visible although not so evident in this photo.
After taking the picture, I put some putty on it; later today, I will sand it and paint again but with a brush.

I rubbed the first coat of paint off the wings and used a different can: TS-17 Glossy Aluminum. All the preshading was useless because these canned colors appear to be totally opaque... No problem, but at the end the second coat of paint appears much better than the first, although it still shows some stains in the same place of the first coat, but in a much more acceptable quantity, like a sort of accidental weathering.

The external areas of both the upper and lower wings' undersurfaces were left unpainted waiting for the green and red colors to be painted.
On these parts, I will be able to decide whether to leave the preshading visible (it is not likely I will leave it, for consistency with the other surfaces) or not.

You can also see the Vickers finished and waiting to be glued, and the two horses anxious to jump to their place...

^_^

Thanks for your attention as usual!!!!

AnDonio

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2015, 08:42:04 PM »
Very nice paintwork as usual Andonio. Love it!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2015, 09:08:39 PM »
Thanks Patrick, you're very kind.

I forgot to tell that the problem on the wings appeared after spraying the upper surface of both upper and lower wing, that's why on the lower surfaces I still have the preshading on, I didn't have to rub the first coat of color off the piece.

Ciao

AnDonio

Offline radio

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2015, 03:12:02 AM »
Very good paint Andonio.
Martin

Offline Adam

« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2015, 05:08:23 AM »
Very good painting, good tutorial for me.  ;)

Adam.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2015, 06:45:15 AM »
Thanks Adam!

Here is a small update:

MG and Aldis in place:

the ammunition intake ramp, the Aldis pointing device and the exit ramp are made from scratch, the ammunition belt is a piece of the Gaspatch Vickers set...

here the horse is visible...

...and here as well, with its silvering halo, I still have problems with self printed decals when they are not cut precisely the transparent part is very visible due to the matt spray coat...
The Aldis appears pointing towards the sky, it slipped after glueing, but as I used the CA would be a highly risky operation to remove it from there...

From the sky...

Tricolore and wheathering under the wings ...

upper surfaces, the wheathering is there but the artificial light prevents from seeing it...

Yesterday I put wings and struts on and started rigging: 6 out of 8, I thope to finish everything by the end of the week...

Ciao

AnDonio

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2015, 06:31:18 PM »
Hello AnDonio,

I simply love what you have done with the Nieuport! It is very eye-catching. Gorgeous it is my friend! Great work

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2015, 06:36:54 PM »
Thanks Patrick!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2015, 04:09:03 AM »
Truly lovely work, Antonio!  Looking forward to seeing her completed.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ondra

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2015, 01:48:44 AM »
Looks great, Antonio. ;) I am really glad you solved the issue with Baracca's horse.

Sorry I could not help with the masks, did my best.  :-[

Cheers

Ondra

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2015, 02:23:30 AM »
Don't worry Ondra, I will never thank you enough for your kindness, unfortunately the drawing was too complex for such a small mask.
;-)

I am glad that you liked it.

I finished rigging yesterday evening and now the last teo steps will be fixing the undercarriage and then the propeller...

I am already thinking to my next project...

:-0

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Re: Francesco Baracca's Ni17/2614 Academy 1/32 COMPLETED
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2015, 11:50:39 PM »
Hallo folks,
today I finished my work on the tribute to Francesco Baracca, our national Hero...

Some pictures of the finished plane, the whole set in the Completed Models section.

Thanks for following and looking at my work!

Antonio

WarrenD

« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2015, 12:16:33 AM »
I love that last image, the display is great.

Warren