Author Topic: Joystick Phonix!  (Read 6815 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Joystick Phonix!
« on: August 27, 2014, 03:32:05 AM »
All,

Here is one I'm starting for a HS group build.  Loving vacs and this plane, I couldn't resist.  All I did last night was cut out the main parts and sand them down.  Now I have to decide how to make it into a D-IIa  ???

More soon...Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Joystick Phonix!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:16:38 AM »
Great to see another vac kit being built here, I have never built a vac kit so I will be taking notes throughout this build and the one Terri is doing as well, I'm looking forward to this Dan.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 08:47:07 AM »
This'll be fun to watch, Dan!  I love vacs and I love the Phonix scouts.  A marriage made in heaven.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:47:02 AM »
This is going to be a real joy !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 02:25:47 PM »
Hello Fellow and Fellowette WWI-ophiles...

I got all the pieces cut out and sanded down and even started with the interior assembly a bit.  The kit seat looks nice with just a bit of clean up.

Looking good so far.  I'll work more on the interior and then I'll put a thin plastic layer on the bottom of each wing to add a bit of structure and to have a good base for drilling strut holes.  This should go together pretty quickly!

Cheers,

Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:59:51 PM »
I have a feeling this is going to be a quick build for you , are you going to add a bit of detail in the pit ? The kit parts for the pit do look pretty good , better then other vac kit's .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 10:07:50 PM »
You are motoring along at a fair pace Dan, the cleaned parts look really good.

Des.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 02:37:51 AM »
I have a feeling this is going to be a quick build for you , are you going to add a bit of detail in the pit ? The kit parts for the pit do look pretty good , better then other vac kit's .

Terri

Hi Terri...yes I want to add some detail on the sides, a stick, rudder pedals etc.  I also think there should be some wood member frames in the sides too.  I have to start getting some info since I have no cockpit pics of this machine.  The kit parts are not bad at all.  With additions, they will make a good start.  We'll see what I come up with.

Thanks for your comments, Des.  I have a model show I want to go to in mid-late September so that's my goal!

Cheers,

Dan

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
Hello Everyone...

It's raining here in Tacoma/Federal Way Washington...perfect modeling weather so I'm not complaining.  I did a simple interior with a new stick, rudder pedals, belts, throttle and some wood framing.  Basically made up but I bet it's pretty close.  There isn't a lot of room in there, so I think it looks fine.  It was then a quick matter of closing the fuselage, adding the bottom wing (that helps strengthen things) and then I also added the tails. 

Going along quite well, now.  Tonight I'll work on an engine, skin the lower wings and add holes for rigging and struts.  Cruising now!!!  ;D ;D

Thanks for looking,

Dan
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 08:54:48 AM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 08:57:18 AM »
My word, this is moving along at a rapid rate, and looking really good in the process, well done so far Dan.

Des.

Offline IanB

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »
Wow, that's coming along very quickly! Nice work too!
 What are you planning for the colour scheme?

Ian

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 11:54:40 AM »
Wow, that's coming along very quickly! Nice work too!
 What are you planning for the colour scheme?

Ian

Hi Ian...

Not sure yet.  I've decided to leave it as a D-III meaning it could be a very late war machine that didn't see combat with a light overall color and a spinach-like camo or just do the overall light grey with Austrian markings that was really from about 1919 and on.    We'll see!

Thanks for looking,
Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 12:42:48 PM »
Looks like your going to have this one finished in no time Dan ! Great work so far  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 03:01:23 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  This one is a favorite plane so the motivation is there.  Plus...we have a long weekend holiday in the States!  ;)

I got a bit more done by skinning the undersurface of the wings.  This makes them stronger and I'll have a better base to add holes for struts and rigging.

You can see the ailerons are cut out and I'm ready for strut locations.  Tomorrow I hope to finish that and get an engine up front.  We'll see how far things go... :)

Thanks for looking,

Dan

Online RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 01:13:52 AM »
Wow, I haven't looked in for a little while and you have made HUGE progress! Very fast, and beautiful work! Looks great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler