Author Topic: My Brother Passed away  (Read 3741 times)

Offline mgunns

My Brother Passed away
« on: July 21, 2014, 05:26:22 AM »
Greetings all:

I don't know if this is the appropriate spot, but I wanted to pass on that my younger brother passed away on 2 July of 2014.  He had cancer but had suffered a fall at his house on 26 June that he shared with our mother.  He was rushed to a local hospital, cognizant and conversant.  Whilst in the local hospital he fell again and sustained traumatic, catastrophic brain damage and was flown to Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis on 27 June where he was put on life support.  The neurologists told us that he would never regain consciousness, never open his eyes, never speak and be relegated to a feeding tube and sustained life support.  My sister came in from Olympia WA, and on 2 July we decided, as painful as it was, to take him off life support.  He passed later that day.  My brother and I weren't close and had had an adversarial relationship most of our lives, but the last seven years he had made strides to right the many wrongs.  I saw him on memorial day and he wasn't doing well with the cancer.  We had a pleasant visit and had many phone calls in the preceding and ensuing months establishing a good relationship.  We went on several motorcycle rides together during the past several years and always had a good time.  He was our mothers care giver and now our family is in the process of getting her in assisted living.  They had many friends and thankfully they are assisting with her care.  They lived in Mora Minnesota, about 85 miles from where I live in New Richmond WI.  I work two jobs and every Saturday, so thank God for the folks in Mora who are assisting.  Any loss of a family member is traumatic but to loose ones younger brother was especially difficult for me for some reason that I am slowly processing and coming to grips with his passing.  He was laid to rest with our maternal grandmother on 14 July with several of his friends and an especially good childhood friend who made a lengthy trip to be there.
The Forum and all of you on this Forum, although not knowing this, have been a major help, the hobby and seeing your work and enjoying the camaraderie of the Forum has been a major source of comfort and motivation for me.  Blessings and many thanks to all of you.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
Re: My Brother Passed away
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 05:35:07 AM »
Oh. My thoughts are with you and yours Mark. Condolences to your family and I hope you get your old Mum sorted comfortably. As well as losing your brother and her son I imagine it will be traumatic for her having to accept a change in life at her age.

If we have helped in a small way to make things more bearable for you then that's wonderful

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 05:38:12 AM »
Mark,
 My heartfelt condolences go out to you and your family for your loss.
May you find some comfort knowing that we're all pulling for you during these tough times.
Take care.

BVB
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:49:39 AM by bobs_buckles »

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 06:30:03 AM »
My deepest condolences to you and your family!

Sasho
Think globally, act locally!

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 06:33:46 AM »
My sincere regrets, Mark. That's terrible news. I'm glad you two were making gains to patch the relationship towards the end. I'd hate for you to live with that regret. I'm also glad that you've been able to take comfort in the people and things you find here. Another testament to what a great place this is.

Lindsay

Offline Robin

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 06:36:13 AM »
Sorry to hear this.
My thoughts are with you and all who loved him.

I wish you strenght and I hope the day when you can remember him with a smile will come soon.

Take care,

Robin
Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

guitarlute101

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 06:48:18 AM »

I'm very sorry to hear about this Mark. My prayers are with you and your family.

Mark

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 06:50:38 AM »
Mark,
   I'm very sorry for your loss. It's good to know that you had reached some accommodation the past several years, spent some time with your brother, and have those happy times to remember. It's also good to know that you find comfort here in the group and the activities and I am pleased we can provide that.
Dwell on the good memories, my friend, and our thoughts are with you.
Cheers, and be blessed,
Lance

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 06:53:04 AM »
Dear Mark

May I offer you and your family my most heartfelt condolences for your tragic loss.  You are in my thoughts.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 07:03:22 AM »
I'm deeply saddened to read of your brother's passing, my dear friend, but I'm happy to read that the two of you had been mending fences over the past few years.  Your recent motor cycle rides together will be a comfort and a treasure for you for years to come.  Bless you, Mark.  Hope to see you soon.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 07:12:28 AM »
My sincere condolences Mark. Certainly must be a very tough time for you and your family; best wishes as you work through this.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 07:38:13 AM »
It was with much sorrow that I read your post Mark, Adrienne and I send our deepest and most heartfelt condolences and prayers to you and all your family during this very sad time.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 08:04:07 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss Mark , my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Vickers

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 08:23:22 AM »
I'm sorry to learn that your brother passed away, mgunns. I never had a brother, but the closest friend I ever had to one recently passed away and I can only imagine how you feel.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Kreston

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 08:44:14 AM »
My sincere condolences Mark...you and your family are in our prayers.

Kreston
I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes. I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments...James McCudden