Author Topic: What's your work space look like?  (Read 15954 times)

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
Re: What's your work space look like?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »
i am low key.. just a few storage boxes and I place it all on the dining room table when i am working on a model.

I airbrush in my Garage..

hoping to move in the next 2 years and if I do i will have a room for Both Model building and my Fly Tying... ;)
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 01:53:43 AM »
Those are some great set ups guys. very organized - but CAMAAAANNNN lets see them mid project!!!!!

In my case Steve, the beauty of setting up and down everyday means that I keep everything cleaned up and organized. And before anyone asks, yeessss, I'm a rather regimented individual.  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 07:19:59 AM »
As requested by Steve here's mine this morning in the "mid-project" phase of a WNW Albatros DV build.
I converted a second hand roll top computer desk to a model desk for several reasons. Mostly limited space in the den, a means to shut the doors on visiting Grandkids, and as a concession to my "Good Wife" who likes the clutter to go away when there's someone visiting.

Due to the limited work space i have to clean up and re-organise every session, like Chris that doesn't bother me as I too am a "regimented " type of Guy. 37 years in uniform does strange things to you.
Note also the big light and mini vacuum for retrieving lost parts from the dreaded floor monster.

The pedestals hold all my spare paints and tools etc. and I do my airbrushing in the shop portion of the garage. With the exception of our Desktop Computer the room is mine (I built a beautiful big model "cave" downstairs which, on completion, immediately became the "Quilting Room". If you wonder about how that could happen, since I don't do Quilting, just think about it for a second or two.)
The rest of the room holds my books and models close at hand, some inspirational art versions of Bishop's "mounts" etc, and a few momentos of the good old days.

Should we move, I'd like a set up where there's a little more horizontal area to work on and scatter some reference material about.
   There must be dozens of other approaches out there; out with them as I always get an idea or two from this sort of thread.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:31:39 AM by lcarroll »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 08:12:04 AM »
Good set up and the in action even looks fairly organized...along with the big cup o Tims!!!!

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 09:42:20 AM »
Well Steve, here's my work bench while I am in the middle of attaching the rigging to my Voisin, my fishing line is to the right, my rigging tools to the left and the CA in front of me, this is about as messy as my work bench ever gets.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 10:00:21 AM »
Well Steve, here's my work bench while I am in the middle of attaching the rigging to my Voisin, my fishing line is to the right, my rigging tools to the left and the CA in front of me, this is about as messy as my work bench ever gets.

Des.

Now I know how you turn out such great results, Des. My workspace wasn't as clean as this before I opened the first tin of paint!
Nice set up, and a great layout profile for my next setup if I get there.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 10:03:37 AM »
Good set up and the in action even looks fairly organized...along with the big cup o Tims!!!!

Steve

Only a fellow Canuck would have noticed the cup..................it's the "Canadian way".
Cheers,
Lance

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 11:10:34 AM »
Theres always time for model airplanes.......

Steve

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »
Hi, All,

I'm in the basement as well, but I'm comfortable. An old office desk provides lots of work space and loads of storage for extra paints, tools, turntables and such. The stacking unit on the desk is older than I care to recall, but it keeps all of the usual tools, glues and parts collection close to hand. I built the paint booth on the left, which vents outside using a dryer hose and plywood mounting panel. Off-camera right is an old cabinet that houses all of my reference material, magazines, and decal binders (three of them: anyone need a replacement sheet??  :D). All in all, a neat place to bash the plastic!

Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 12:38:56 PM »
Trackpad,
   You have a great little cave there, I really like the combo Spray Booth/Paint Storage idea, neat!
Cheers,
Lance 8)

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 07:51:40 PM »
Now what I notice about most of you guys is that you all have a nice comfy chair at your workstations, myself, I prefer to stand when I'm modelling.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 10:25:07 PM »
My workspace is a permanent nightmare, I work off the rule that the time spent cleaning up is time not spent building models. (which is certainly faulty.)

The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2012, 11:25:36 PM »
Here’s my workstation located in a corner of the workshop in mid project. The project must be picked up at the end of my work time as my squadron mates, cats, would think its all something I left for their play time.   ::)

To the right end of the work bench, out of the picture, is my paint booth that exhausts to the outside. A must have in the not to gentle winters we have here.  ;)

It serves me well.  :)

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 12:42:06 AM »

Steve

Only a fellow Canuck would have noticed the cup..................it's the "Canadian way".
Cheers,
Lance

Lance,
Not quite so my old friend someone Married to a Canadian would notice too. Great coffee by the way ,always our first stop when going home again. As a side note both my wife Cheryl and I gratuated High School in Calgary way back two days after the dawn of time.
Highest Regards Eh,
Gregory Jouette
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 01:09:39 AM by GAJouette »
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 12:47:45 AM »
Nice set up Paddy, the natural light is something I wish I had.

Steve