Author Topic: (Another) WNW Canadian Fokker DVII  (Read 10786 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: (Another) WNW Canadian Fokker DVII
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 06:04:04 AM »
    Bad news the weather has precluded outdoor work, good news I've made some progress on this!
    The cockpit is complete with only the engine bearer frame members to add later. I shaved the fuel control moldings off the instrument panel and "scratched" them, added the flight control wires, Aeroclub bezils to all of the instruments, a radiator shutter control handle, foil plates below the rudder pedals, connector rods for the throttle and spark advance, and used EZ Line for the fuselage bracing wires. I realised in the latter stages that I'd forgotten the stick throttle and gun cables, I'll do that as I find time during the engine completion.
   A bunch of photos prior to installing the corner braces, frame with the greaser pump and Tachometer, and the altimeter which I completed this morning.

The lozenge wrapping on the upper frame members was a true "one legged man in a butt kicking contest" exercise made possible only by half a bottle of Microsol, maybe Scotch would have worked better....................

The belts are HGW, lovely product if you don't lose the chain and key part, replacement to follow!

The Aviattic Lozenge work (Faded Finish version) on the flying surfaces is complete as well, only the ailerons and elevator to go. The "cookie cutter" Sheet does not include the horizontal tail components, these are done with the "Full Width" product in this case. I used some spare WNW Lozenge Tapes on these, a little darker But quite acceptable IMHO. My greatest revelation with the Aviatic Lozenge was how elastic and thick it was. I quickly learned to take more time trimming it to shape before application. It's behavior once on is spectacular, it lays down and conforms to detail as well as any product I've ever used. The colours in real view are spectacular

A shot of the Aviatic interior 4 Colour, I really like this stuff! I'll have to add the reverse Serials to the left side before buttoning her up.

and finally a shot after adding the last cockpit components this morning. The rounded corner frame members proved a bit of an ordeal as well, not perfect but they are there.

Now it's time to start building the engine. I'll only be detailing the upper portion as I plan to have this on with all panels installed on completion. So far an enjoyable Build however the fit tolerance factor is extremely high, it's very unforgiving of other then a prefect fit of all parts and I'm not out of the woods yet!  More to follow in a week or less.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 06:31:30 AM »
Looks great Lance!

Offline jknaus

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 06:39:34 AM »
Beautiful pit. Cant wait for the engine.
James

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 06:59:30 AM »
Gorgeous looking cockpit, Lance!  You did a fantastic job on the lozenge, as well.  She's really shaping up beautifully.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline radio

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 07:27:17 AM »
Lance it is very great build until now, Lance.
Martin

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 08:50:29 AM »
Excellent work, "Canadian Mafia"member!  ;D

I'll just sit back, allow you to find and fix all of the problems, then continue my build. Didn't know you were such a good teacher, did you? After all, we older types need all the help we can get!  8)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:49:09 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Online RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 11:30:06 AM »
One of the nicest looking DVII pits I have seen. As for the Lozenge, Stunning work! As you have stated here and on my dual build thread, careful PRE Trimming is a great asset to using these decals!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 11:01:47 PM »
    Thanks for the comments, Gents. it's always a good thing to have more sets of eyes looking at the progress. I should have mentioned that I had to trim down the frame a little at the rear top end behind the seat to get the fuselage to close up properly on dry fitting. Judging by Dave's remarks on his Build today it is probably not an unusual situation. ::)
   Back to the work bench to get a start on an engine to fill the hole at the front end...............
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 04:18:47 AM »
Lance -

Just catching up.  Your cockpit looks darn good - I gave up trying to get the lozenge decal to wrap around the frame so you did very well here!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 08:53:04 PM »
Hello Lance,

Your interior looks and is terrific. The woodpainting on the floor is just gorgeous. Beautiful work on the lozenge.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 10:08:28 PM »
You're making great progress here Lance. I'm particularly impressed with the lozenge wrapped around the frame members. That can't have been easy but it looks spectacular. At this speed, you'll be done before I even get around to starting my build.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 11:18:13 PM »
Amazing job on the cockpit, Lance. The wrapped frame is beautifully done,
as are the seatbelts and seat cushion.  The handles on the fuel controls are
a nice touch.  Great update, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 12:41:52 AM »
Thanks Gents!
   The decal on the wrapped frame was a bit of a pain until I discovered, through sheer coincidence, that Micro Sol basically did it for me. You just line the decal up in the fore and aft direction with the protrusions on the frame resting the wet decal on the top of the frame member, carefully apply a brush full of the Micro Sol, and watch the decal droop, then wrap around the frame within a minute. Help it along gently with a brush full of the solution and you are done!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 02:50:15 AM »
Hello Lance:

Cockpit is looking great.  Aren't those 1/4 round framing a blast to put in?   :o  The lozenge wrap is a nice touch.  I may try that on my next one.  Looking forward to following along on yours and Gary's builds and watching the progress.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline KONG

• A day without sunshine is like...night
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 07:15:19 AM »
What a Cracker Lance. I have one in the box still.
Your an inspiration laddie  ;)

Cheers

Dave
"If I could only have brought him down alive..."