Author Topic: (Another) WNW Canadian Fokker DVII  (Read 10692 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
(Another) WNW Canadian Fokker DVII
« on: April 11, 2014, 07:00:30 AM »
   When Wingnut Wings released their original trio of Fokker DVII's three Forum Members, Gary Barling, Chris Johnson, and myself combined efforts to encourage Rowan Broadbent of Pheon Decals to produce a Decal Sheet to cover some of the twenty plus captured DVII's transferred to the just formed Canadian Airforce's 1 Canadian Airforce Squadron (Sopwith Dolphins) at Hounslow, UK and later shipped to Canada. Rowan agreed after a short exercise in encouragement, badgering, cajoling, and whining on our parts and released the markings in combination with his early Snipe set. The set contains markings for three Canadian Fokkers: 8493/18 OAW, a second OAW Serial unknown, and 6810/18 ALB, the well known "Knowlton Fokker" considered to be the best surviving DVII aircraft. My subject is the former, OAW built 8493/18 as flown by Canadian Ace Andrew McKeever (Top Bristol F2b Ace with 31 Aerial Victories)  at Hounslow in March and April 1919. I believe Gary is working on the same aircraft; Chris will shortly start on the unserialised DVII flown by Canada's William Barker in an aborted Air Race from Toronto to New York in August of 1919.
    Many Thanks to "Mr. Pheon", Rowan Broadbent, for listening to the wishes of his customers. Hopefully the Sheet, with it's Snipe Aces included, will be a marketing success. With the inclusion of William Barkers' Snipe it's bound to do well in Canada!
   Here's a facsimile of 8493/18. Although the only photos I've seen of the actual aircraft were taken after removal of the twin Spandaus I'll be modelling her with her "teeth still in" until shortly before being shipped to Canada.

I've only been working on this for a few sessions, and per normal started with the cockpit module which is getting close to being assembled. The seat, rear bulkhead, and floor. The original aileron control cables had to be replaced by the correct "doubles", the elevator cables will be added later.

Work thus far on the cockpit frame members. I added the radiator shutter control rod on the starboard frame and the throttle and spark advance control rods.

Fuel tank and Ammo cans........

Seat ready for those wonderful HGW Belts.....

..............and last, the flying surfaces sprayed with gloss white enamel in preparation for the Aviattic Lozenge Decals. I'll be using their 4 Colour Faded versions and am very much looking forward to trying them out!

This will be a slow Build, Spring's coming and the clean up and yard work after a long hard Winter are looming. I'll get more photos posted once the seat is "belted" and hopefully some Lozenge applied.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Epeeman

Re: (Another) WNW Canadian Fokker DVII
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 07:36:06 AM »
Great start, Lane -

It's amazing how those little added details really make a difference.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 08:18:23 AM »
Brilliant start, Lance!  The fuel tank and ammo cans really look the part.  Love that scheme, by the way.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 08:31:53 AM »
Great to see you get started on this one Lance, and what you have done so far is superb, I can see already that this is going to be another masterpiece.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 08:34:08 AM »

Well good to know who was" behind"  Rowans ' decision to add the mkgs.  Say Hi to Gary for me and look forward to him posting here when he is done.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline DC87

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 09:15:41 AM »
Fine work so far, great job on the metallic parts.
Dan C

Never forget, always remember.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 11:36:15 AM »
Great start, Lance!  I really like your treatment of the fuel tank. Could you explain how
you did it?  Your extras on the interior framing is very good, as is the woodwork of the
floor.  This will be a build I will definitely be following with much interest.  Well done, my friend.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 11:52:42 AM »
Great start, buddy. I've got the same sheet for just the same reasons as you. Cant pass up the opportunity to build a piece of Canadian heritage using both a premium kit and premium decals. Good luck with the build.

LT

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 01:48:13 PM »
Lance and Mark: Great to see you guys doing these "Canadian Captives."  I have this sheet and will probably do Barker's No. 50 race machine and perhaps one other.  These Canadian D.VIIs fascinate me! ;D  Looking forward to watching these builds and enjoying the final products. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 07:19:44 PM »
Hello Lance,

Your of to another great build I'm sure. You made a great start already and I'm looking forward to your next update. Well done my friend.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 07:28:38 PM »
Good to see you building again, Lance  ;)
Keep up the good work!

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 12:04:31 AM »
   Thanks all for your comments.
   Ed, Gary's Build is here in Under Construction, he started about a week before me. (WNW Fokker DVII OAW - Canadian Connection by Trackpad)
   Ernie, the fuel tank was primed with Alclad II Grey Primer and then a coat of their ALC 104 Pale Burnt Metal which is more like a very flat dull bronze/gold tone. The staining is a thin wash of Tamiya S/G Black well brushed out.
    Given Spring is on the doorstep this will be a slow Build; lots of yard work and post Winter clean up hanging over my head! ::) I hope to get the cockpit completed and some Lozenge on the flying surfaces in the next few days. Then it's engine time..........
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 11:26:35 AM »
A beautiful start on your DVII! I Love your wood graining on the cockpit floor! The framing and accoutrements  looks great!

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 07:09:36 AM »
Hey, Lance!

Great start on the Fokker. I'll be visiting to see how you address some of the finer points of the build. References are one thing, but hands-on experience can really tip the balance in the modeller's favour. Good luck, mate, and keep in touch!  ;)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 09:51:19 AM »
Thanks Rick and Gary. I hope to get more photos up tomorrow as the cockpit is very close to done. Gary, I just replied on your Build Log, good luck finishing up the "Bif", been a long journey!
Cheers,
Lance