Author Topic: Revell 1/28 Fokker DR1 Triplane  (Read 10121 times)

Offline Epeeman

Revell 1/28 Fokker DR1 Triplane
« on: March 24, 2014, 03:58:58 AM »
Hello, all -

I've dithered as to whether putting up another build log but finally made up my mind.   I'm therefore posting up one on Revell's ancient 1/28 scale DR1 bought as a gift for my 50th birthday by both my lads.

I'm now a week in so have already made a good start.   This will be mostly OOB build with some odd detail work here and there.  Engine built as is just adding ignition wires to the spark plugs as below.

Cockpit is the area that needs most work as is very sparse from the box.  Some details (fuel pump/spark lever) molded on the wrong way round so cut out and and sanded down these items each fuselage half.   Using stretched sprue to make up the frame work visible from outside.  Knocked up fuel pump and spark lever from scratch (heat stretched again) and used left over parts from spares box to made instruments and ammo box.    A little more work required to make up a seat harness and then I can paint in the added detail.

Oil paint used to simulate wood in cockpit - will work some more this evening so will post up further progress reports in due course.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline mgunns

Re: Revell 1/28 Fokker DR1 Triplane
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 05:08:21 AM »
Hello Dave:

Nice to see one of these being built.  You are really doing outstanding work on the interior.  This will be fun to watch as you work your way through.  I have another one of these in the stash, not sure if I will ever do it, but it will be informational to watch your progress.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 05:25:25 AM »
Dave,
Very nice start on this OLD CLASSIC! Your interior work looks great so far! I hope you don't mind but you might want to check references on the Pump on the right side. My latest references show a straight tube front to back with a valve on the end. GvWs Fokker Jadgestaffeln has a 1/32nd drawing showing what I mean.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:15:17 AM »
Great to see one of the ancient kits grace the pages of this forum, and even better to see that you are doing a build log for us. Terrific work so far Dave, the cockpit interior is taking shape very nicely, don't you just love that red plastic  :) and the engine turned out really well. I'm looking forward to seeing the cockpit all painted up and the seat fitted.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 09:22:10 AM »
Mark, Rick & Des -

Cheers

Rick - blast! will have to live with the fuel pump as is now as I have just painted it up in place - reluctant to pull apart now so will live with my error ...............

Regards

Dave

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 10:47:40 AM »
Mark, Rick & Des -

Cheers

Rick - blast! will have to live with the fuel pump as is now as I have just painted it up in place - reluctant to pull apart now so will live with my error ...............

Regards

Dave

You are right it isn't worth the risk. Most of us have used the pump in the past in our builds at some point. It looks better than the other way anyway  8)
As I said your interior is great! I love the frame work improvements!
RAGIII

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 08:21:02 PM »
Hello Dave,

Great engine and very nice interior. You made a fantastic start.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 11:09:57 PM »
Thank you, Patrick!

Next update -

I have now finished painting the interior and have closed up the fuselage.   Seat belts knocked up from a left over paper instruction sheet from a previous build.   Not a perfect interior but enough to add a bit more interest when viewed casually from outside.  Everything fitted together nicely with no problems encountered here.  Will now need to tidy up the fuselage join - more to follow in due course.

Regards

Dave

Offline mgunns

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 11:15:58 PM »
Hello Dave:

This is coming along nicely.  When you think that these molds are 60 years old, the kits still hold up fairly well.  Naturally they are no comparison with WNW or Roden, but considering these were made at the beginning of the plastic age.  Just the few bits you put in the cockpit really dress it up.
Looking forward to the next update.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 01:42:58 PM »
Very Impressive interior! Lovely painting and detailing all around! As an aside here, I remember seeing the Voss version of this kit at a place called Rinks Bargain Barn in Cincinnati Ohio when I was about 8 or 9. That would have been about 1961/2ish.  8) 8)
RAGIII

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 06:39:48 PM »
Hello Dave,

Very nice wood painting and your interior looks sublime. Your off to a great build I'm sure.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 12:05:59 AM »
Mark, Rick and Patrick -

Thank you - I'm now in the process of tidying up various parts - as with all these old Revell kits, the amount of flash, seams and pin holes is horrendous so much time taken in preparing parts prior to assembly which can get tedious.  Every single part needs cleaning!.

Regards

Dave

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 01:52:21 AM »
Outstanding job on the interior, Dave.  I feel for you, mate, having to clean up all that diamond-hard red plastic, but I know the end result will be well worth all the effort.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 09:00:09 AM »
Thanks, gents

Tidied up the fuselage and attached the lower wing this evening.   Whilst waiting for things to set, had a go at dealing with some of the other parts.

Firstly, filed away the insides of the lower cowling (molded thick out of the box) to try and achieve a sheet metal appearance. 

I then had a look at the kit prop.  Decided I did not like the overall shape which looks a bit on the wide side to me - therefore filed down the sides of the prop (as best I could) until I was a bit happier with the appearance. I also shortened the boss central nut/bolt.   I hope the prop looks alright now?

Finally, assembled the kit MG's - yet more horrible pin holes (in really awkward places) to clean up!  I did consider drilling out the cooling jackets as I did in my Revell Fok DVII model - abandoned the idea after seeing these are molded solid and therefore not worth the effort.   I will therefore clean/tidy up as best I can and take it from there.

More to follow

Regards

Dave

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 10:14:49 AM »
Looking really good so far Dave, the prop looks pretty close to me and the engine cowl is very good. Looking forward to seeing more updates soon.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com