Author Topic: Revell 1/28 Fokker DR1 Triplane  (Read 10259 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: Revell 1/28 Fokker DR1 Triplane
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 11:14:43 AM »
Excellent progress Dave! The prop looks 100% better to my eyes! As for the Machine guns, Photo Cut once made PE MG Parts including jackets in this scale. The originator was/is a member of the WW1 modeling list. His name is Ed, perhaps Bud remembers his full name and contact info?

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 12:55:55 PM »
Rick's right, Dave, but his name is Fred.  Fred Hultberg and his email address is [email protected].  Copper State also had a set and, although it doesn't show on their site yet, if you email Ilya Sobolev, one of the new owners, he might be able to dig one up for you.  His address is [email protected].  Happy hunting.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline mgunns

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 05:52:03 AM »
Hello Dave:

The prop looks 100% better after you trimmed it down.  Looks more like an Axial than a canoe paddle.   It is amazing how worn out these molds get and the affects on the finished plastic.  I have one of these in the original box and what a difference between the first moldings and the present molds, of which I have too.  You are certainly doing yeomans work on it.  Good luck with the guns, looking forward to the next update.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Online RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 02:47:29 AM »
Rick's right, Dave, but his name is Fred.  Fred Hultberg and his email address is [email protected].  Copper State also had a set and, although it doesn't show on their site yet, if you email Ilya Sobolev, one of the new owners, he might be able to dig one up for you.  His address is [email protected].  Happy hunting.
Cheers,
Bud

Thanks for the correction Bud, I knew Ed didn't quite sound right!
RAGIII

Offline AROTH

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 12:36:41 PM »
If you were looking for 1/28 gun jackets, Tom's Modelworks used to have a generic German gun set with the jackets. The website still opens, so I hope that means the business is still open.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 06:18:32 AM »
Gentleman, than you for your help and advice regarding the MG's.  However, I have decided to use the kit supplied ones anyway.

OK, update on where I am currently.  Had a go at using fuse wire to simulate underside stitching.  Unfortunately, one of those ideas that seem great in theory but did not work out in practice!  Not brilliant, but have no intention of pulling out and starting again so will live with it.

filled pin holes in all the struts

Underside now painted and glossed ready for applying decals.   As a brush painter, it is not easy to simulate rib shading other than to use combination of light and dark shades of the light blue used for the undersides.  The effect looks pretty good when seen in the flesh but has not come out well in the photo.

Lastly, started work on the undercarriage and MG's.  attached legs to fairing and tidied up around the joint.   Used stretched sprue to knock up ring sights for guns - this will pretty much be my limited of detailing to the MG's.   They don't look brilliant but I think they still improve on the look of the kit supplied MG's - I hope!

More soon

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 05:44:02 AM »
All,

Started the painting to the undersides and fuselage.    I'm deviating slightly from the Red Baron colour scheme options in the kit and going for one of his other schemes of red upper surfaces and light blue on undersides and struts.  Listed as DR1 141/17.   I find the overall red a bit too much and is a scheme most do in this particular aircraft.

Not sure if this is correct, but decided I would try and simulate red paint over streaked camo.   Tried this by first base coating (roughly) with olive brown and then dry brushing olive grey over the top.  Top coats (several) of 'carmin red' so that the undercoat shows through the red.   This was another idea that seemed great in theory but now done I'm not sure it looks quite right.  I suspect this method works best by spraying as opposed to brush painting.   I just hope it does not look too rough and ready?

Starting work on painting lower, mid wing and interplane struts - should get mid wing on tomorrow evening so will post more updates shortly.

Regards

Dave

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 06:00:21 PM »
Hi Dave,

Great update. You did a very difficult job here. It's not to reddish imho, and I suspect the camo is shining trough, though on my screen, which isn't to good, it is difficult to see but it's obviously there. I admire what you have made of this difficult kit. Keep on the great work!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2014, 01:26:49 AM »
Hello, Patrick -

Thank you! - I'm really pleased to have your support on my build.   Yes, in the flesh, you get a better view of the camo showing through the red.  It seems t have become lost in the photos.

I have made some more progress today so will add more pictures later on this evening.   

Regards

Dave

Offline mgunns

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2014, 02:51:05 AM »
Hello Dave:

The cammo under the red barely shows up, but I can see what you are doing here.  I think it looks pretty neat and breaks up the overall red nicely.  I like these old kits as I can appreciate what Revell was trying to do when they came out with them.  I am enjoying your build and look forward to further updates.  The lacing underneath is a nice touch as well. 

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2014, 05:49:03 AM »
Thanks, Mark -

I regret trying this out in some ways as this does not seem to work well by brush painting!  However, as you rightly say, it does break up the red (and gives a darker tone) which overall looks better.

Anyway, have now fitted the mid wings and attached the MG's, cabane struts and eyelets in preparation for rigging.  I have also weathered up things a bit on the underside.

More to follow in due course

Regards

Dave

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »
Good to read another one of your blogs, Dave.  It's coming together well, mate. 

Dal.

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 06:14:05 PM »
Hello Dave,

Once the cabane struts are installed and well aligned, placing the upper wing will be relatively easy. You made another great step!

Kind regards
Patrick

Online RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2014, 09:59:44 PM »
Coming along quite nicely Dave. I am always amazed by the quality of your hand paintng!!
RAGIII

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 10:26:37 PM »
Dal - really glad to see you back - thank you!

Patrick and Rick - Thank you both for your support as well.

Appreciated, all

Regards

Dave