Author Topic: Battaille Scratch build in 1:32 scale  (Read 17773 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Battaille Scratch build in 1:32 scale
« on: February 16, 2014, 01:19:03 PM »
After gathering a lot of information and drawing scale plans I am now just about ready to tackle my next scratch build, this time the Battaille triplane. I ordered materials today so by mid week I should be able to make an initial start. I am not making any promises with this build, data is very hard to come by, I have no measurement at all, so most of the build will be done with the aid of my scale drawings which I have managed to create from photos and a very rough drawing from the net. This could end up being a lengthy build.

This is a very interesting aeroplane, the top and bottom wings had an adjustable incidence while the centre wing was fixed, the entire frame was built from timber including the enclosed boat fuselage. The engine was a Gregoire (gyp) four cylinder of around 40hp, it was water cooled and mounted inverted to lower the centre of gravity. Believe it or not but this aeroplane did fly and apparently quite well, but, like most planes of that era it was underpowered.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Mark

Re: Battaille Scratch build in 1:32 scale
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »
Oh my, can't wait to see this come together under your talented skills. What an interesting subject!

Mark G.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 03:11:19 PM »
I'm really excited about this one, Des!  This will be the most unusual and interesting aeroplane any of us has ever taken on.  Can't wait to see you work your magic on this one, mate.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »
that is so cool des, i know you had talked about it but now you have started a thread, you are commited, i am teasing of course, but i truly cant wait to see this thing progress. should be interesting.

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 07:26:36 PM »
Hello Des,

This could well be the "Build of the year". I am convinced it will! Looking so forward to see your progress. Good luck!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Jacek

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 08:28:12 PM »
I'll be watching this topic with curiosity .
Jacek

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 09:11:21 PM »
Very cool aeroplane!  I will watch and learn with great interest Des. :)

Regards,

Bob

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 09:44:28 PM »
Hi Des,

I was waiting for this post, this is gona be a terrific build and I (and many others) will enjoy it!

I will gona get some popcorn and sit on the first row to watch it!

best regards,
Sasho
Think globally, act locally!

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 11:32:04 PM »
What an interesting challenge for you, Des. I'm excited to see what sort of ingenuity you come up with to deal with this one.

Good luck!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 05:34:36 AM »
What an unusual aeroplane! I really like those early experimental types and admit that I had never heard of this one. In your expert hands I am sure that we are going to be in for a real treat as you work out how to put this one together. Lack of specific detail can be a bonus and a pain - it allows a little licence as nobody can claim that you are wrong, but sometimes it creates problems about how the thing went together!

Best of luck Des. I am in the front row with SsashoO.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 07:10:13 AM »
Looking forward to this build, Des  ;)
Happy Scratchin'

Vb

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 07:22:50 AM »
Des,
I was not familiar with this one but from the picture I can tell that I will certainly enjoy watching this one. A very nice looking aircraft!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 06:56:43 PM »
I am so looking forward to wayching this one develop. Seems like the front row is going to be pretty big with so many of us sitting there watching. :)
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 06:09:44 PM »
I have commenced the build by making the unusual undercarriage, fuselage support and top wing support, this had been made from a very fine grained timber.

A full build log of this model can be found here  http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page49.html

The timber I used is very easy to work with and is reasonably strong, it sands very nicely. The first photo shows the method used to make the fuselage support member, cutting it from a solid piece after it was glued to the legs was a lot easier.

This photo shows the two leg assemblies ready for attachment to the skids, the front legs have the strengthening bar. To cut the timber out to form the fuselage support member I used my Dremel, firstly with a cutting disc then finished off with a drum sander.

This next photo shows the front and rear leg assemblies fitted to the skids, the skids are made from styrene sheet with the curve formed around a piece of aluminium tube. For strength I fixe the skids to the legs with five minute epoxy.

I will be using a set of Steven Robson 760 wheels for this model, this photo shows a trial fit. I will endeavour to find a set of whitish O Rings for these wheels as they would be more appropriate for the era of this aircraft.

I made the top section of the assembly using 0.03mm styrene sheet, most of this will be hidden inside the top wing, I need to add the incidence adjusting gears and chains later.

I made the aileron actuating bell crank which mounts on the rear of the undercarriage frame. Bear in mind that all I have to go by with everything I have done so far are photos, I have no measurements at all.

I painted the timber with Humbrol Gloss Cote with a few drops of Humbrol Clear Orange added, this gives the colour I was aiming for. The green is a mixture of Humbrol No.65 and Humbrol No.226, this gives me a colour which matches photos of the Battaille.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 06:36:14 PM »
As ever Des' .... nothing more than a pleasure just to see these pic's unfold across the pages. It all looks so simple and rational as you lay it out: but there again it always does look easy when someone of such a calibre executes their craft.

I will watch this with much enthusiasm and delight - as is usual with one of your builds.
KBO ............. Andi.