Author Topic: Show us your - Spad VII c1  (Read 5872 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Show us your - Spad VII c1
« on: January 20, 2014, 01:42:43 PM »
Here is my 1:32 scale Roden Spad VII c1, this was built quite some time ago.

Full build log can be found here   http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page18.html

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IFF1418

Re: Show us your - Spad VII c1
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 06:32:36 PM »
Fantastic build again Des, tremendous painting, very nice interior. I didn't know the rigging was so difficult! Congratulations.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 10:04:32 PM »
Fantastic build again Des, tremendous painting, very nice interior. I didn't know the rigging was so difficult! Congratulations.

Kind regards
Patrick

That's about what I was thinking.  The rigging would certainly give me pause.  Fabulous
paintwork, Des.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Jacek

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 11:17:48 PM »
Through the brilliant colors I really like   :D

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 12:12:43 AM »
Lovely work Des, as ever, and I'll find the close up on the rigging really helpful .

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline mgunns

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 02:54:37 AM »
Hello Des:

Outstanding job.  The rigging is truly a testament to your scratch building and problem solving.  Outstanding work all around.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 04:49:54 AM »
Thank you for posting this beauty here, Des.  I thoroughly enjoyed going through the build log again.  As always, extraordinary craftsmanship.  I especially appreciate the close up of the rigging attachments at the mid point struts.  I have a SPAD XIII that I have set aside until I could get a good idea as to how I should approach this.  You have given me the answer.  Thanks, mate!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:28:47 PM »
Des, A real show stopper as always! I have looked at your build log many times and I still cant figure out how you drilled and anchored the rigging on the inner support struts! Did you replace the struts with metal? Did you manage to drill through without damaging the struts? Any further explanation is appreciated!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 06:15:29 PM »
RAGIII - The photos in my build log show that the centre section of the struts was removed and replaced with a 1.0mm brass tube, there was a 0.7mm length of plastic inserted into each end of the brass tube (CA holds it well) which in turn was glued to the two halves of the struts (these are the original plastic struts still anchored to the sprue). Once everything was dry I drilled three 0.3mm holes through the plastic that now holds the struts together, these holes go right through the strut. Into these holes I glued eyelets which will eventually hold the rigging wires, the two outer eyelets for the flying wires and the inner eyelet for the landing wires, the eyelets are held in position with CA, this also strengthens the strut where the holes were drilled. Once all the glue has had time to cure totally, usually overnight, the strut can be removed from the sprue.

Each mid point strut will have 12 eyelets fitted, 24 in total, they are quite small but will easily take the 0.12mm mono rigging wire. It is important to try and get the rigging lines to run in a straight line from one side of the strut to the opposite side, just like it was running through the strut, this can be achieved by moving the eyelets up or down slightly to get the proper alignment.

It is very fiddly work and is very small, but the end result is as close as I could come to the real thing.

If you need any further details please let me know.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 09:29:09 PM »
Des,
Thanks for taking the time to explain. I followed the link to your build and for the FIRST Time I finally saw the section on the struts and anchors. I feel pretty foolish right now for having missed the pictures and explanation so many times.  :-[ :-[ :-[
RAGIII

Offline Graham t

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 04:35:02 AM »

Kind regards
Patrick

That's about what I was thinking.  The rigging would certainly give me pause.  Fabulous
paintwork, Des.

Cheers,
Ernie :)

That rigging has put me RIGHT off a Spad.........says be who has just started a DH2!

Online andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 02:15:04 AM »
My tribute to
Giuliano Parvis AKA Lt. Giorgio Pessi, 91a Squadriglia (8 victories - 6 officially credited), wingman of Capt. Francesco Baracca
Pordenone Nov. 1917

kit Special Hobby 1/48 "French and Italian Aces"

More shots:

Build log here
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:38:54 AM by andonio64 »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 02:35:26 AM »
Gorgeous SPAD, Antonio!  Which kit is it?  Your build log link is to your beautiful SVA.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 02:39:27 AM »
Thanks for spotting the error Bud, I updated the post now!!!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 03:20:16 AM »
I remember this build Antonio. You came through with a beautiful SPAD inspite of some difficulties! Well done!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:45:40 AM by RAGIII »