Author Topic: Show us your Fokker DR1  (Read 87222 times)

Offline Allan31

Re: Show us your Fokker DR1
« Reply #285 on: December 16, 2022, 10:55:36 AM »
Build log here:  https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13499.0

Dragon 1/48 done as Dr1 152. I used my own experimental technique for the streaking.

I think I can improve a bit on the streaking in upcoming builds.

Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #286 on: December 18, 2022, 02:10:14 AM »
Great build and finish....and fast!

Steve

Offline DaveB

« Reply #287 on: December 23, 2022, 09:22:30 PM »
Okay folks, I'll join in with mine if okay!

Meng's large (24th) scale DR1 which is a lovely kit to put together.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #288 on: December 24, 2022, 01:50:59 AM »
Two more Beautiful Triplanes added! Thanks for adding them Guys!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Allan31

Eduard Dr1, 1/48, Lothar von Richthofen.......
« Reply #289 on: January 15, 2023, 10:16:52 PM »
Eduard 1/48 Dr1 of Lothar von Richthofen. I was trying to improve on my streaking technique,
I added some Quinta 3D detail decals, some GasPatch 3D printed Spandaus (wonderful things) and some not-so-great Peddinghaus decals.

Build log here:   https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13549.0

Ubiquitous bottom shot.

And the rest...

Who has more fun than us?.................NOBODY.....
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #290 on: January 16, 2023, 01:02:08 AM »
Great little Fokker! A successful test for sure.

Steve

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #291 on: January 17, 2023, 04:14:35 AM »
Alan & Dave Nicely done !

Ed
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 05:03:18 AM by dr 1 ace »
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline MightyHood

« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2023, 06:38:17 AM »
Greetings All,

First of all, I did try to post this thread earlier today, but my machine (iPad) decided to fill it with gibberish and I lost half of my images in the process… So I deleted and have resubmitted.  I hope no one had responded yet… If so, I do apologize and ask that you please consider answering again, many thanks!

Start of original post:

Let me say that I’m in awe of the meany excellent dreideckers depicted here!  I hope some of the talent rubs off!  With this in mind, here is my humble (albeit ham-fisted) attempt at building the Meng 1/32 DR.1 (done up, of course, as MvR’s 425/17).   This was my first serious attempt at building a Great War era plane since the late 1970s/early 1980s.  I’ve dispersed the photos through the text of this long post.

It was a basic build overall.  I obviously used the kit parts but also added some Eduard photoetch, Eduard “Die Roten Flieger” decals, EZ-line rigging, thin copper wire, Albion brass tubes (well, I tried…) and airbrushed/slopped on a combination of Tamiya, Mr Colour and artist (ha!) oil paints.   Here’s what I recall about the build from memory:

Bendy, curvy, U-shaped wings: well, maybe not U-shaped, but the mid and top wing had a pronounced dihedral of sorts!  After getting too hot and heavy with a hairdryer (and luckily getting a replacement wing donated), I was able to carefully heat if the wings and physically bend them into shape by pressing down on a tabletop at various points inline with the “tapes.”  I got the wings quite flat (I know it doesn’t look like it in the photos but they are essentially level now).   My right side cockpit combing piece might have been detached as well… If it was, I simply glued it back in place.

Dilemma over seat and cockpit frame colors: The only metal bits (other than engine) I’ve ever seen from the real 425/17 were black (japanned I guess).  The thing is, I’ve never seen a confirmed piece of the exposed cockpit tube framework it’s self.  I know, however, from surviving examples of other Fokker designs (non Dr.1s)  that this could vary from a greenish color (OAW, Albatros) to a light grey (I recall seeing a Fokker-built Eindecker frame at the Science museum that seemed light grey…though it was so dusty it was difficult to be sure).  I also understand that Fokker- built DVII had light grey frames.   The problem is, when looking at photos of actual DR1 interiors, the frames look too dark for light grey.   Now, I do understand how panchromatic, orthochromatic film stocks work.  I also know how camera settings, development and touch ups can wreak havoc when it comes to predicting (deliberate choice of word) colour from old photos.   I learned this by being a near expert in HMS Hood and in receiving thousands of 1920s-1940s photos of the ship whilst cross referencing with fleet orders, docking reports, relics. crew recollections and some rare colour footage.  Despite this, I’ve never seen light grey look consistently dark as it does for the Dr.1 tubing.   Despite this, I erred on the side of caution and made the tubing light grey anyways.    If anyone has updated information regarding frame/tube color, please, please respond here as I’m going to be building a couple more of these!).

Red:   I mixed up some Tamiya based on WNW’s recommendation but tweaked it a bit to match the photos I had taken of MvR relics  during my visits abroad (with the understanding that these likely darkened over time).    I think I got close when it’s seen in person, but bear in mind that my model photography Is greatly lacking, so the color sometimes looks too bright, or at least inconsistent across my photos.   I did attempt to vary the shade of the red depending on the position on the aircraft.  The bottom was a little darker where the original plane had blue undercoating.  Ditto for the cowl area that was olive.  The cross fields are a little lighter as they were once white/light. 

Prop: Try as I might, I simply could not draw enough of the parallel laminate layers.  I had tape issues as well (I’m clumsy). So, I omitted one or two and painted it by hand.  It’s a bit sloppy, but I think it has the “feel” of the laminated effect.  Next time I will have to make a precise pencil supporting jig and cut very tiny strips of tape with a metal template (and high power magnification).

Decals:  I misaligned things here and there plus possibly omitted a few things. I definitely  left too much carrier film here and there.   I did ACCIDENTALLY discover that Eduard carrier Film could be removed, but this was not until I was nearly done applying things.  So most markings have the film…and it shows.

Weathering:  I attempted to make the castor oil spills, but that didn’t come out too great.   My weathering of the wings was way too heavy-handed (should not have used black). I also don’t think I weathered the underside enough for mud, etc.  I also forgot to put the scratches along the sides of the cockpit.   If I could do it again, I would highlight the rib tapes in a subtle fashion, add the scratches and apply more realistic mud and oil stains.  Maybe a spot of bird poo too.  Naaaaah.

Rigging: it’s very basic as I ran out of patience when trying to make turnbuckles, etc.   I just couldn’t cut the darn things the same length!  I have since learned to make a little cutting jig and have been able to use the copper wire and brass turnbuckles on other builds.  I’m still probably not doing it 100% correctly, but I like the effect, LOL.

Clear coat: Things obviously went a bit too dull/matte (Testors). Should’ve used Tamiya instead…it would have retained more sheen.More in the future!:  I have another of these 1/32 as well as its giant 1/24 scale brother.  Predictably, one of these will be Voß’s F1 103/17 (my wife loves the look of that kite) and the other Jacobs’ 450/17 (I think everyone loves the look of that machine!).   I have aftermarket goodies from Aviattic, Eduard and even some of that Quinta 3D stuff (does anyone have an opinion on the accuracy of the Quinta DR.1 line?).

Based on what you see here, does anyone have any tips that can help me out when I approach these two new projects later this year? I’m especially interested on the latest “finds” concerning the exposed tubing within the cockpit and of course, with suggestions for converting the engines to the correct type for 103 and  450.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and for any suggestions you might have.

Frank (MightyHood)

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2023, 09:08:59 AM »
Well, the first thing you should do is not be so hard on yourself! I think your Tripe came out great. I like your colours and the sheen is good. As far as Quinta is concerned I have some of their WWII items and they are excellent - just remember even though they're on decal paper they're NOT decals. The more qualified on interior colours are certainly here on the forum and I would follow their lead. You now have an iconic aircraft to start your collection. Congratulate yourself! Two thumbs up. 

Steve

BTW - did you do ontheslipway.com ?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 09:19:21 AM by pepperman42 »

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2023, 10:32:24 AM »
Excellent work Frank, I like your colour interpretation. Makes me want to do one of the Baron's aircraft (I modelled one of his kites for many a year)!

Cheers,

BC

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #295 on: January 30, 2023, 03:02:39 AM »
Your Baron Tripe is an excellent addition to this thread! Lovely little bird you should be quite proud of! Well Done Frank!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #296 on: January 30, 2023, 03:52:44 AM »
Beautiful work Frank! I'd say you've captured the look - especially the colour - very well.

Offline MightyHood

« Reply #297 on: January 30, 2023, 06:37:36 AM »
Many thanks the kind words!  Most appreciated! It’s just the motivation I need to get started on my next two (though they may have to wait until I attempt to tackle the teeny 1/72 D.VIIs the wife bought me!   I also need to get back to my 1/48 S.E.5a and start my 1/48 Camel and Co (but I figure I’ll do those at the same time, since they involve essentially the same colors and techniques). 

Any thoughts about the exposed cockpit tube/frame color?  As mentioned previously, I only went with light grey because that’s what I’d seen on other surviving Fokker built kites (admittedly not DR.1s).  This choice has always bothered me though, because in most, (perhaps all) photos, I’ve personally seen (or can at least recall) the framework looks dark.     I also believe that there has been some discussion regarding a possible change of colors midway through the run of the aircraft… is this correct? If so, then maybe 425/17 should’ve had a dark frame (scale black perhaps)? 

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice concerning cockpit tube frame colors for 103/17 and 450/17?

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #298 on: January 30, 2023, 10:52:53 AM »
Ditto The above compliments, nice work Frank !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #299 on: January 30, 2023, 07:40:35 PM »
Thought I'd add my pair to this thread since it just popped up

First up is Eduard's lovely little 72nd version with a mix of kit and 'bodged together from bits of decal sheet' decals. This is my first plastic model for more years than I'd care to remember, but was overall enjoyable enough to lead to a growing interest in the genre  ;D Painted entirely in acrylics.

Propeller is carved plywood laminations a la PREZ and apart from the wing ties which I sanded too thin trying to make them scale which led to the purchase of a second kit was straight out of the box.

One thing I forgot to do was remove the 'straps' on the underside of the axle fairing - ah well  ::)

Next up is the use I made of the extra kit which donated it's wing ties. It's the V4 prototype version of the DR1. Changes needed to every part (except for the rudder) I added etched brass details to this one and the struts are made from filed brass rod. Another carved plywood propeller on a small stuff engine completes the model which looks tiny next to it's later sibling.

Build threads for both can be found elsewhere on teh forum for more details for those interested
Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full