Author Topic: Eduard 1/48 Dr1, LvR, Fokker Streaking Mk.II...FINI...  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Allan31

Eduard 1/48 Dr1, LvR, Fokker Streaking Mk.II...FINI...
« on: December 29, 2022, 07:18:57 AM »
In an effort to improve my airbrush streaking, this was calling me...

You all know the kit so no more need be said about that.
I got the kit off Evilbay for cheap, already started and sans decals.

Hard to find aftermarket decals that have the white border on the crosses. I will have to resort to the Paddinghaus sheet again. This time I found an additional sheet that has much better stenciling.

Many interpretations on the www as to the yellow areas of this aircraft. All we have, to my knowledge, are the photos taken when he crashed.

At first glance, the upper wing does look yellow but rooting around the www gives us better photos that shows more accurately the upper wing.

For some reason, the upper wing does seem lighter in color than the two wings below it but it is streaked for sure. I wondered, knowing how terrible yellow covers, if it was just a bad coat of paint but comparing to how well the yellow was applied to the turtle back and rudder, I'm thinking it's green streaking.

These shots shows exactly where the yellow is on the fuselage sides.

Few examples are out there that show the correct streaking and yellow areas as I'm thinking they should be. I did find one shining example of a beautifully executed Lothar triplane. Coincidently, this was done by a frequent roamer of these hallowed forum halls.

Nice job Rick. Clearly, RAGIII has no need for my airbrush streaking.

And to sweeten the deal, these arrived from Paul at Model Cellar.

I can work with the interior, not much seen anyway. The figures in the much smaller scale are better matched to my speed and figure painting skills. Flesh color, wash of brown, BaDaBing, done, Fuhgeddaboudit...

'till later...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 12:44:01 PM by Allan31 »
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline gedmundson

Re: Eduard 1/48 Dr1, LvR.....
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 01:38:45 AM »
Great project, and I’m keenly interested to follow along, Allan. That 1/48 scale figure set is something I’ve had sitting on the shelf for a while, and I’m anxious to see how your project progresses.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 02:14:46 AM »
This should be another Fun and informative thread to follow. Like I said elsewhere, You guys are Killing Me with all of these Triplanes.  ::)
I am getting more certain everyday that another will have to be built  8) I am really looking forward to your build and figures!
RAGIII

PS: Thanks for the plug  ;D
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 03:45:29 AM »
Nice score on the Eduard Tripe!  Wish they would re-release it. Last I saw Revell had it. Looking forward to your well researched Lothar build and the figure.

Steve

Offline RichieW

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 02:30:15 AM »
Looking forward to seeing this unfold, especially any refinements you can add to your innovative streaking method.

Yes Rick really nailed the pattern on that 1/32 Tripe!
Happy new year
Richie

Offline Allan31

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 07:32:33 AM »
Some progress. Seems nobody can agree on exactly what was yellow and what wasn't on Lothar's tripe.
The usually well researched Aviattic site lets you decide yourself...

Comparing the background colors around the crosses I'm still going with option three on the right.

A first for me, I found these a few months ago and figured I would give them a try.

Some I could not use as this kit was already started but what I could use, I think looks great, most especially the belts, they even have the stitching on them. I also used the ignition switch, throttle lever and ammo counter.

And of course, all covered up.

Some more clean up tonight and then everything in fine white primer.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 02:39:10 AM by Allan31 »
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 07:44:08 AM »
I didn't know the wizards at Quinta had done so much, what a set!
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 10:31:04 AM »
Great progress on your Dr1. I also had No Idea Quinta was doing so much! As for the Yellow, Richard Alexander of WNW had some really good photos of this Bird. Some you have published here. I had a lot of discussion with him concerning the colors. He actually thought there "May" have been a band of another color in front of the cross  :D Note that the serial number is not visible in any photo I know of! So My thought here was that LvR took an aircraft with a previous band marking. He had it removed leaving some thin streaking. Had he Not been shot down the rest of the areas often thought to be yellow probably would have been  :o JMHO, and Prove Me wrong  8)
RAGIII

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 10:48:47 AM »
Really nice progress. Quinta and the other 3D printers may make a lot of fiddly p.e. obsolete!....I still like option 1 - yellow ahead of the cross. My one good eye has convinced me that area has a distinct edge that lines up with the top colour.

Steve

Offline Allan31

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 01:14:18 PM »
I was a commercial illustrator, muralist and house painter for years and I know how badly yellow covers. It is almost always translucent. A base coat of white is always required to get a sold coverage of yellow.

One thing that has struck me looking carefully at the photos of Lothar's aircraft is the total absence of streaking on the turtle back and horizontal stabilizer.

What is not helping us at all is the fact that the the right side in all these photos is in shade. let's assume for a moment that the area between the cross and rudder was painted yellow as so many have presented it. In the above photos, the area behind the cross looks very similar to the area in front of the cross to the cockpit combing. Sadly, like my streaking examples, this can look different from photo to photo depending on the quality of the print when made.

When we look at the same section of fuselage on the left side in full sun this area we think is yellow looks much more opaque.

The area in front of the cross does have a similar grey tone to the rudder as does the area behind the cross.

The area that we want to be yellow in front of the cross is almost the same width as the cross itself if it's lining up with the yellow on top. That is not what is happening in the photo above.

Thanks for reading along this far but for all that said....we have accomplished nothing really.

I race vintage Formula Fords. We have a standing joke if we can't decide what color to paint the wheels, pick your two favorites and put one on one side and the other on the other side as we can't ever see both sides at the same time.......

Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Offline rsanz

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 04:48:12 PM »

Hopefully this image link works.

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 09:33:12 PM »
Ol' one eye is starting to change his mind.....option 3 looks more likely...

Steve

Offline Allan31

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 10:51:56 PM »
Ha !!!, great set of photos. Who did these and where did they come from???

I have never seen the middle two, sometimes orthochromatic film CAN be helpful !!
Option 3 it is for me, that is pretty finite. So I would 100% agree with Rick's interpretation on his build.

Perhaps there was a stripe or other graphics on the plane, I don't think it would have physically been "removed" but rather just painted over. To that end, it may have been painted over with a similar base color, hence the fresh looking area in front of the cross that would cover over lettering.

Whew....
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 01:16:00 AM »
Ha !!!, great set of photos. Who did these and where did they come from???

I have never seen the middle two, sometimes orthochromatic film CAN be helpful !!
Option 3 it is for me, that is pretty finite. So I would 100% agree with Rick's interpretation on his build.

Perhaps there was a stripe or other graphics on the plane, I don't think it would have physically been "removed" but rather just painted over. To that end, it may have been painted over with a similar base color, hence the fresh looking area in front of the cross that would cover over lettering.

Whew....

Those photos were done by Richard Alexander of WNW and posted on Face Book. They were the reason for My PM and discussion with him while doing my build.
RAGIII

Offline Allan31

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2023, 01:04:20 PM »
Thanks Rick, accuracy is important and research is fun....
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick