Author Topic: Eduard 1/48 Dr1, LvR, Fokker Streaking Mk.II...FINI...  (Read 3687 times)

Offline Allan31

Re: Eduard 1/48 Dr1, LvR. streaking Mk.II......
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2023, 08:05:17 AM »
I'm liking the streaking technique but I thought I could improve in several areas on MvR's 152/17. To that end I'm doing Lothar's tripe.

I used my Fokker blue on the bottoms and experimented with Vallejo Med. Yellow out of the bottle. I think it's a little lemony.

On 152 I learned it was difficult to hold and shoot. I made this little easel that worked perfect.

Started with the bottom wing.

I found it difficult to figure out where I was on the wing while painting so the mid wing I pre-streaked.

Much easier.

I think I can get away with even more pre-streaking.

Easel worked well for holding the fuselage as well.

I used a different green than the factory for the field corrections.

I warmed up the yellow with a touch of red.

Future next then.....well you know the drill....

« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 02:48:46 AM by Allan31 »
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline FAf

Re: Eduard 1/48 Dr1, LvR, Fokker Streaking Mk.II....
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2023, 05:52:44 PM »
Great low tech system and equally great display of how you use it! This is both inspiring and looking really great.

/Fredrik

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2023, 11:50:02 PM »
Fantastic results Allan!  I’m very impressed with how simple this plan is. I think the pre streaking helps a lot.  I’ll try to make a 1/72 mask.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2023, 01:02:39 AM »
Colours look good and your process is definitely a success although I think your thumb isn't streaky enough and the blue carries up over the cuticle.....

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2023, 01:33:30 AM »
   Very well done Allan, I believe you've really developed the ultimate method of the Fokker streaked finish application. Makes me want to redo my "tripes' however I'll be trying it on a D.VII soon, very impressive!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2023, 05:14:20 AM »
It's always nice to learn something new. Thanks alot Allan for showing this great technique.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2023, 07:19:57 AM »
Fantastic result Allan, it's great to see your technique evolving into what I believe will become the 'go to' method for Fokker streaking.

Richie

Online RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2023, 10:18:57 AM »
Excellent results! You already know I Love Your streaking method. One thing to note is that all of those Fokkers differed in the streaking. The wings in particular when photos are available show an individual "Foot Print". Ed Boll has perfected catching nuances of individual aircraft. So just be sure that as you perfect your method you figure out a way to replicate individual Airframes. JMHO, and I Love Your Results!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Allan31

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2023, 02:11:54 AM »
Thanks all for the encouragement.

This build is again, a test bed for this technique. To Rick's comment, I was not so much trying to replicate Lothar's aircraft specifically as I was trying to master how best to handle the lights and darks that appear in the streaking on individual aircraft. The pre-streaking was a big help establishing the light and dark areas, then add the individual streaks over those areas. What I discovered is a good streak seems more realistic if it starts solid at the front of the wing and fades out towards the rear as opposed to a solid streak front to back as can be seen in a couple of places. But sometimes a solid works as well.

I REALLY think this technique will be a bonus in 1/72 scale. In that scale, a real brush streak or stroke is just too thick and out-of-scale. Conversely, it may not work as well or even be needed in 1/32 or 1/24 or 28 scale as RAGIII, Boll and many others have so deftly illustrated that real brush strokes work perfectly well.

All this testing is towards a third build. You recall I put a shout out for Voss decals in 1/48 scale. Kit and decals are here and with a well documented aircraft with well documented streaking, hopefully I can figure this all out to see if we can make it controllable enough to replicate individual aircraft.

not sure whats going on under the horizontal stabilizer.

More soon...
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline WD

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2023, 04:13:56 AM »
This is looking really great Allan!  I may have to try this on my next Tripe. I may have missed it, but what are you using for your blue underside color, I really like it.

Warren

Offline Allan31

Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Offline WD

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2023, 07:58:36 AM »

Offline Allan31

Re: Eduard 1/48 Dr1, LvR, Fokker Streaking Mk.II...FINI...
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2023, 12:46:46 PM »
All finished, will post over in "Completed" soon, Thanks for all your encouragement !!

Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2023, 12:59:03 AM »
Very well done, Alan. Stunning result in all regards - especially the streaked camo.
Cheers,
Gary

Online RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2023, 04:14:10 AM »
Nicely Done! I Look forward to F1/103  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler