Author Topic: Fokker MvR 152...1/48 scale..FINI........  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Allan31

Fokker MvR 152...1/48 scale..FINI........
« on: December 05, 2022, 09:19:06 AM »
I know, I know....not another one.....

I have always wanted to do this one, I really like the way the red and green go together. Seeing how it's December, it's kinda Christmasy....

Somehow I've wound up with two Dragon kits and two Eduards. I think the better kit is the Eduard so I'm going to practice the elusive Fokker streaked finish on this build and then do the Eduard as Voss's 103. While test fitting the wing struts, I managed to break one of them with the piece shooting off someplace so now I have the Dragon all ready to do the V.4....

A pleasent evening cutting and trimming. I have started on the cockpit with paint.

I will use a sheet I have of Aviattic in 1/32 scale for reference.

In preparation of this build, I bought some of these...

I strongly suspect I am going to have a nice paint job and build with Maltese crosses outlined in pink...

My December Christmas build...

« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 07:40:53 AM by Allan31 »
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline Allan31

Re: Fokker MvR 152...1/48 scale....streaking...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 09:13:06 AM »
After looking at triplanes for years, I've watched so many try different methods to try and get that Fokker look.
As if it's not hard enough, the streaking on the same a/c can look very different.

Some techniques seem to work better than others.

When Aviattic came out with there streaking decals, I was struck at how airbrushed they looked.
Airbrush alone won't do it. In many shots there seems to be a definite hard edge here and there.

I'm experimenting but I think I'm pretty close to what I will use on my 152.

My colors.

I cut some clear plastic from a food container to use as a mask. Fokker wing streaking seem to be about 10 degrees.

My faithful test mule was sprayed with the beige and then I used my go-to 34079 through the template. By moving and overlapping and going back I got this in one shot.

I think I will still experiment with some sharp pencil lines here and there.

And you can clean up the stencil and use again...

Can't wait to try this on real Fokker wings. I'm also thinking you can change the slots for 1/72 scale.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 07:45:32 AM by Allan31 »
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Online DaddyO

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 05:53:08 PM »
Don't forget you'll need to make some new wing struts for the V4 because they attach further apart  ;)
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 01:13:26 AM »
Allan,
    I like the results you've achieved with this unique approach to duplicating the streaking, it really looks the part. I've tried all the methods out there over the years , different paints and combinations and decals as well however your photos indicate the best "match" I've seen to date........ nicely thought out and done! I have 3 on the display shelf with the Voss F.1 left to go, I'll be trying your technique on that one.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 06:35:50 AM »
I agree, this technique seems to nail it - bravo! An ingenious solution.

It's also interesting to see we have the same paint mule!
Zac in NZ

Offline RichieW

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 07:30:19 AM »
Clever technique for the streaking, I have never seen that before. It looks the way to go judging by initial results.

Richie

Offline Allan31

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 08:03:37 AM »
Thanks all,
Yes, this is a technique I've been thinking about for years but only just now have gotten the courage and opportunity to test.
It has not (to my knowledge) been done this way before or else I'm sure we would have heard about it by now.
Everything is primed, I will shoot the blue first, then mask and shoot beige and then do streaking. With any luck, I can post results Wednesday-Thursday.
Wish me luck....
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Offline RichieW

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 09:02:19 AM »
Wishing you luck, I can't see it being anything other than a great success, especially after seeing a few of your models recently!

Richie

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 10:13:43 AM »
I’m not wishing you anything. With the skills and talent you possess, you need no luck!

All the best.
Tim

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 11:39:18 AM »
Some very keen observations on the streaking patterns, and I really like your experimentation and overall drive to achieve that just-right look. Anxious to see how it all plays out.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2022, 03:18:56 AM »
Really awesome method and results on the streaking! I hope you will add this to the "Fokker Streaking show us your method " thread when you get this done!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Allan31

Re: Fokker MvR 152...1/48 scale....streaking results....
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2022, 03:32:37 AM »
I think this is close but I still need to tweak it some.

I shot fine white primer over everything, then shot my recipe for Fokker blue on the bottom then masked.

I then shot Vallejo 71.028 "sand yellow" as my base color.

I then shot Vallejo 71.294 through a cut stencil.

This is close. Some parts are better than others but by and large I think I can get this to be a viable way to replicate the Fokker streaking.

Things I learned:
1) I need to make a better, longer stencil. I worked, as the "real guy" did on the wings, from right to left. As I moved the stencil left, by the time I got to the left end of the wing, I now had 3-4-5 applications of paint built up on the stencil making for a wet, messy piece of plastic. I will cut a new stencil the full length of the upper wing.(I think..)

2) I was trying to be clever and thinned the 34079 with retarder and thinner. Next time I will just mix it my regular way so it dries quicker with less chance of smudging.

3) Important to know when to stop. I did the wings first, fuselage last. I realized I went too heavy with the streaking on the wings. The fuselage is about right coverage wise. I should have let more of the base show through on the wings.

4) You can see I got the stencil a little crooked on the right side, the left looks better straighter and with more base showing through.

I'm not too concerned about my goofs on the top wing and horizontal stabilizer as they will be covered in red. I may try and fix the streaking on the right hand fuselage, I should figure out something to fix mistakes.

Stay tuned !!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 07:47:34 AM by Allan31 »
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Offline RichieW

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2022, 04:20:41 AM »
It looks great in the photos, doesn't look as though you have anything to fix. Definitely staying tuned, this is fun to watch!

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2022, 04:48:15 AM »
Looking excellent. I am really enjoying following your processes!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2022, 06:31:09 AM »
Really nice technique Allan. Very convincing results.
Did you lay the mask directly on the part or stand off a bit for overspray?