Author Topic: WNW Pfalz DIIIa - Unknown MFJ  (Read 15491 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: WNW Pfalz DIIIa - Unknown MFJ
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 10:32:26 AM »
Lance, if I were to compare my work to the work of others on this forum, I'd stop posting.  Nothing anyone else has done can detract from the extraordinary work you've done on the cockpit and engine.  As far as I'm concerned, this is a masterpiece in the making.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »
That is an outstanding update! I think I have said I have the Roden DIII to build but your DIIIa build is making me realize I NEED a DIIIa  :P

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2014, 05:39:32 PM »
I totally agree with what Bud and Rick said Lance (apart from the fact that their work can meet that of anyone). Sometimes what i see on the forum makes me think "what am I doing here? wouldn't I not better go cooking or playing pool or something?" And that is also true when I look at your very skilled work Lance. So when I look at your interior and engine, I think you are amidst the top modelers on the forum. Keep it up my friend.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 05:56:42 PM »
A great update Lance, the cockpit is excellent and your engine is superb, this is going to be a real gem.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2014, 11:34:43 AM »
    Since posting earlier today I've closed up the fuselage and attached the lower wing. The wings have been given a coat of gloss off-white in preparation for the lozenge decals and there's a minimal amount of filler/putty on the lower fuselage seams. She'll be drying overnight, then it's sanding for a few hours and hopefully a start on the lozenge.

<cough> pictures <cough>  ;D

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2014, 12:18:06 PM »
  Thanks all for the comments, much appreciated!
  Lindsay, I'm waiting for the paint to dry (but not watching it!) on the second coat of gloss enamel on the wings before taking the next series of photos. I think I'll wait until I get some Lozenge done so it'll be a few days.

Cheers, ;)
Lance

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2014, 12:28:26 PM »
The Pfalz is coming along wonderfully, Lance.  I'm happy I'm not the only one that had a bit of
a fit problem with the lower wing. I look forward to seeing your post-lozenge update. I can't say
enough about your engine.  superb stuff!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2014, 12:36:52 PM »
Nice update Lance, she's coming together very nicely. Looking forward to the W&W loz update.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2014, 05:12:59 PM »
Great progress, Lance. The interior is very finely done. WNW, HGW and Taurus do cater for a great model, do not they?
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 11:54:29 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments Gents. I am quite looking forward to the W&W Lozenge exercise, now delayed a bit as I had to spray a second coat of gloss enamel on the wings to get a solid glossy base. You are so correct about the Taurus and HGW bits, Prze, we've come a long way since the advent of After Market Decals so long ago! There's still a lot of room for scratch built features though, which make an equally significant difference IMHO.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2014, 12:21:07 AM »
Lovely work, Lance! Keep going!!!  ;)

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2014, 12:54:42 AM »
 Lance,
Outstanding progress my old friend. Beautifully detailed interior. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to more.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2014, 11:41:15 PM »
Okay, I'm really late to this party and have I ever been missing some superb modelling here. The extras you're adding along the way Lance are making this Pfalz just pop. I was particularly drawn to the belts and I can well imagine how tricky it must have been to construct them. The interior and engine just look tremendous too. I'm looking forward to seeing the lozenge go on next.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »
Just beautiful work Lance

This is a most interesting scheme on the Pfalz and also one of my favourites.  I’m looking forward to your application of the W&W lozenge.  I see you’re catching up with Oberleutnant Bob Von Snail on the Pfalz build.

Happy Landings
Steven
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:46:24 PM by Steven Robson »
Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2014, 12:43:40 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement, All. It's steady but very slow on the progress scale presently, have had a couple of minor setbacks that incur and extra day or so each as they rear their ugly little heads. I have the Lozenge completed on the top and bottom of the upper wing however don't have the Lozenge Rib Tapes (that I never thought of until now!) required. I've found that the Wood & Wire Lozenge decals are very brittle and it's really difficult to cut them without "chipping" of the colours. (I am using the white base product) If my attempts to cut my own tapes aren't successful I'll have to put this on hold until I get some of the real product.) In a moment of inspired genius I thought of the Kit supplied decals/tapes however they don't at all match the colours/finish and are not useable in this case. As a matter of information there's been a "flurry" of PM's between Ernie and I comparing notes and discussing solutions to the rib tape question. He has the clear base Lozenge and found that cutting rib tapes worked very well.
   I'll be trying the "home cut" solution today, I have a fresh bottle of Microscale Liquid Decal Film on hand which may help. I also missed an un-filled seam on the fuselage before spraying the Silbergrau colour coat which had me filling, sanding, and sealing then re-spraying the area over again, a 2 day event with curing time factored in.. Ah well, it's not a race!
   I'll hopefully get some photos up in the next 2-3 days.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:57:04 AM by lcarroll »