Author Topic: WNW Pfalz DIIIa - Unknown MFJ  (Read 15493 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
WNW Pfalz DIIIa - Unknown MFJ
« on: January 03, 2014, 02:56:43 AM »
   A new Build Log started for the New Year.

I'll be building the Wingnut Wings 1:32 Pfalz DIIIa as 8304/17 in late 1918 as seen at a collection depot for surrendered aircraft and about which very little historical information is available. The WNW after-market Decal Sheet 30019 "Pfalz DIIIa Flying Circus part 1 is the source for the markings , option D. This aircraft, from the final Production Batch, served with an unidentified Marine Feld Jasta and was turned over to the Allies Post War per the Armistice Terms. The aircraft was finished in the standard "Silbergrau" aluminum dope with five colour Lozenge fabric on the upper and lower surfaces of both wings, a very colourful bird with the addition of the MFJ standard yellow trim and an unusual fuselage emblem which cleverly incorporates the final late war version of the very thin "Balkenkreuz" national marking.

I've also chosen the Mercedes DIIIa 180 HP engine for this version. References are rather limited however I've also reviewed several excellent Build Logs here and picked up some valuable hints.

After Market additions include the WNW Decals, some Taurus Engine resin parts (only the components visible with the cowlings "buttoned up") HGW Fabric Seat belts, and Master Model brass Spandaus. Not shown, the excellent Aero Club Instrument bezels which always add a lot to the cockpit. The Lozenge will be my first experience with the Wood and Wire Lozenge products.

As a final After Market addition I plan to use a set of Steven Robson's outstanding spoked wire wheels; the only photograph I have of the aircraft shows the wheel covers removed and AMS resulted in a critical requirement for these little gems!

I've started on the engine and cockpit modules and the quality of the Kit and fit appear to be well up to the high standards produced by Wingnut Wings. The choice of this as my next build was an easy one, after a long haul with the Bif and the Sopwith Tripe I really wanted some colour on the bench!
    I'll get cracking on her, and hopefully post some progress in the next week or so.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline IFF1418

Re: WNW Pfalz DIIIa - Unknown MFJ
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 03:32:59 AM »
Hi Lance,

A very good choice. I have this one waiting too. I'm looking forward what great build you wil produce now. I'm sure it wil be fabulous as always and I will follow it from the beginning to the end. Good luck!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 04:37:50 AM »
Really looking forward to this one, buddy!  I like that scheme quite a bit.  When I first started back at this hobby, I only wanted to build aircraft that were flown by the aces.  Then, when I got into building two seaters, that became a little less important.  Now, I'm inspired by interesting schemes and markings.  This one falls into that category.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 05:38:54 AM »
Excellent choice of livery, Lance!
Looks like we got the beginnings of  a MFJ  build off ;)

I look forward to seeing your progress.
If you need any masks let me know. Sling me the dimensions and Mr Vinyl chopper will do his best to service you  :D

Good luck!
Von MFJWingman

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 06:20:28 AM »
Good choice, Lance. :D  I'm still struggling along with mine and now, between
Von BobderPfalz and yourself, I will be able to see how it's really supposed
to look. ;) ;D  Looking forward to following along.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline mgunns

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 06:46:06 AM »
Hello Lance:

Good choice and interesting set of markings.  I will be interested to see how you like the wheels.  I like the Pfalz and I have a sheet of Pheon markings for it, which I will use when I do another one.  Looking forward to this build and seeing you progress through it.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 06:55:44 AM »
 Thanks All for the encouragement.
Mark & Patrick, I doubt you'll need my efforts to produce top quality Builds when you tackle this one. Both of you do very nicely on your own resources however I'll try the water, least a friend can do!
Ernie, I may be leaning on you a bit as the Build progresses. Reference material is a little scarce...........
Bud, I agree with your approach, I was all "aircraft of the Aces" until recently and some of the more obscure subjects are pretty hard to resist.
von Pfalzwinger, PM on the way shortly, good Buddy!
Cheers All, :)
Lance

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 08:09:15 AM »
Excellent choice Lance!  I love this scheme, even though their's no info on the pilot, and have it earmarked for the future.  ;D  For now, I'll partake of the vicarious enjoyment of watching what I know will be your masterful transformation of these plastic and metal bits into a beautiful model of this most beautiful aeroplane! Onward!  ;D

Regards,

Bob

Online RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 08:24:58 AM »
Lance,
I am Looking forward to this one. That is a great scheme!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline TomR1981

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 02:20:02 AM »
This will be a treat to follow Lance.

My Pfalz is stalled a bit at the minute and I've started a D.VII and Snipe to build quickly (by my standards) in the meantime. By that time you and Bob and probably a few others will have provided plenty of inspiration for me to get back to the Pfalz.

I like to do unusual schemes I haven't seen done before. They have to look nice too though, and I think you've ticked both those boxes with this one. I'm looking forward to see it, especially with those wheels!

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 02:50:34 AM »
   It is a rather unique scheme for sure; normally I'm a stickler for historical accuracy and this one has a lot of unknowns. I trust WNW's info thus an MFJ Aircraft it is and the yellow tail color is, to me, a given. The engine will be the 180 HP DIIIa version as opposed to the 160 Horse basic DIII based on the fact that she is from the final production batch. Most of the rest is "standard" finish. Bottom line, I really like the colour scheme and markings!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 07:54:51 AM »
A great choice of subject Lance and I just love the colour scheme you are going to use, this will be a truely stunning looking model once completed. All your aftermarket accessories will certainly add to the model especially the superb Steven Robson spoked wheels. I look forward to seeing the first photos of this build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Zabu

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 05:22:59 AM »
Nice scheme choice Lance. It's going to be a beauty.

Cheers

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 10:23:24 AM »
    Finally a little progress, I've been working at the cockpit components and it's slow but enjoyable going. The frame is complete and about 3/4 of the components have been added or are finished and awaiting installation. The fit of the frame is incredible and the dry fit in the closed fuselage is excellent.

Frame "posed" in cockpit with some of the still to be installed components:

Two closer shots of the unfinished cockpit:

The HGW Seat Belt Set is very well done but took a bit of time to finish. I`ve added my own damper springs in lieu of the Kit Photo Etch versions:

....................and it looks like another coat of Mr. Metalcolor on the springs wouldn`t hurt! Love that Macro setting on the camera!

I have the engine started and once the cockpit is completed will be working on the engine and guns for a few days. So far, so good and a very nice Kit.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:27:59 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 10:38:07 AM »
Excellent work on the cockpit Lance, the seat cushion looks great, and the seat belts are exceptional, I like you home made springs, well done so far.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com