Author Topic: 1/32 Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel F.1, Belgian ace Jan Olislagers  (Read 18414 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: 1/32 Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel F.1, Belgian ace Jan Olislagers
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2014, 01:08:41 AM »
Lance:

"Kabuki" tape is a low-tack thin tape made from rice paper in Japan, and is used primarily for masking.  I don't know if it is a brand name, but I use the term generically, like Kleenex.  The tape I used was Tamiya yellow tape, which I understand is made with Kabuki paper.

Thanks for your kind comments!

Regards,

Bob

I assume that's a different product then the Rolls/Dispensers of Tamiya Masking Tape that I use all the time?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2014, 10:36:44 AM »
That's really looking nice, BH.  I really like the way you've done the ply panels on the fuselage.

Totally agree about kabuki tape, it's one of the world's great inventions- especially if you're trying to mask the canopy on a 1/48 Ki-46 Dinah.

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2014, 11:28:07 AM »
Here is the fuselage with thistle emblems painted and parts temporarily in place for show, including the pilot's head.  :D

The emblem painting involved yet another challenge.  Perhaps the gloss for the decals was too much, or the white paint was not properly thinned, but after thin coats misted on which appeared fine, upon drying I discovered that the paint had crazed and was filled with crow's foot cracks.  I touched these up with a fine brush, and they are okay and do not show up at normal viewing distance, although you can see traces of them in these photos.  C'est la guerre.  >:(  I will try to correct no further, as it is in passable condition.

I like the look with the pilot, cowling and guns.  :)  I still need to do the gas and oil caps on the fuselage, and paint the cockpit combing, then I'll be ready to start assembly.

Regards,

Bob

Offline Nanks

« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2014, 03:23:20 PM »
Just Brilliant!
"Get a shot off fast, this upsets him long enough to get your second shot perfect" Lazarus Long

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2014, 05:52:55 PM »
Simply amazing Bob, wow that's looking so real. The pilot (Jan) is sitting so natural in place. Paintwork is terrific (woodpanel!) All very realistic. What a lovely build and build log you made. Congratulations!!!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2014, 06:15:18 PM »
I love it when a mask comes together!  ;)
Excellent work, Bob  :)

Hi Lance,
Tamiya make 40mm wide masking tape made from "Kabuki" paper. image below.

Cheers,
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2014, 09:26:33 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments guys!  Much appreciated.

BvB and Lance: that's exactly the pack of tape I picked up at the LHS to do the thistle mask .  ;D  Well-called, Von Buckle!  ;)

Regards,

Bob

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2014, 11:59:47 PM »
Bob & Bob,
   Thanks, that sort of clears it up, I'll need to go shopping a bit more. Bob von B's photo shows the product as "Finishing Materials" and then "Tamiya Masking Tape". The regular masking tape I have is labeled only "Tamiya Masking Tape" with the tape width shown as well. Last, the mask on the fuselage in the attached photo is of much thinner stock then the regular masking tape. Different product and one I need!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2014, 02:46:53 AM »
Hello Bob:

This is going to look awesome.  I always liked the lines of the Camel, and this is great to see you progress through this build.  I am sorely tempted to pull my other one out and start on it.  I am looking forward to seeing you progress and how you do the control horns.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2014, 03:29:57 AM »
Thanks Mark!  I, too, am looking forward to seeing how I do the control horns.  ;)  I have not yet puzzled that out, but I must, as I knocked off the molded-on kit parts whilst sanding down the ribs.  I'll figure out something.  I'm getting pretty close to that point now.  ::)

I'll be doing the rigging prep on the wings next.  I have decided to cheat on the square opening in the bottom wing root where the double flying wires pass through the wing and enter the fuselage underneath.  I will simply drill a round hole at an appropriate spot for the wires and paint square corners around it with black paint.  That should look fine at normal viewing distances, and will be much easier than trying to make a square hole!  :o

Regards,

Bob

Offline mgunns

« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2014, 05:54:33 AM »
Hi Bob:

When I did mine, I used some of the extra ones that came with the Pup and NINAK.  As I lost some of the aileroan actuators on the NINAK, I send away for that sprue from WNW and I had enough extra's to make 'em for the Camel.  On the next one I was just thinking of scratching them out of card stock.  Shouldn't be too difficult.  The existing ones are just plane bad.
Looking forward to your next update.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2014, 09:22:53 PM »
Very fine progress on this interestingly marked Camel. Wings shading is fantastic and so is the fuselage with the individual markings!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2014, 01:24:31 PM »
I'm getting ahead of myself, but couldn't resist dry fitting the landing gear and bottom wing.  ;D 

Des is right, the landing gear is rather sturdy, despite it's spindly appearance.  I still have rigging points to do on the wings and struts.  More soon.

Regards,

Bob

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »
She is looking really good Bob, I like the thistle emblem and your wood work looks great. This kit and the Academy kit deserve to be built, they make up to be very good models with just a little extra TLC. I'm looking forward to seeing more updates Bob.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2014, 11:04:27 PM »
You are doing a beautiful job on this, Bob. The colours are very eye catching, the wood panels and "PC" a great contrast, and the emblem gives it that final appearance of "something completely different". Nice work, I really like what you've done here!
Cheers,
Lance