Author Topic: 1/32 Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel F.1, Belgian ace Jan Olislagers  (Read 18491 times)

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Re: 1/32 Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel F.1, Belgian ace Jan Olislagers
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2014, 11:44:35 PM »
Very nice progress, Bob.  The paint is really good, particularly the wooden portion
of the fuselage.  Good work.  I look forward to the next updates.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2014, 11:50:17 PM »
Outstanding paintwork Bob. It will look gorgeous, can't wait to see it develop. Great work!

Kind regards
Patrick

Online RAGIII

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2014, 12:27:12 AM »
Bob, She is looking like a great example of a Camel now! Lovely painting!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2014, 01:00:39 AM »
Bob,
   I echo RAGIII's comments, coming along beautifully. Your wood panel work is really exceptional, nice work! Looking forward to more updates, keep at Her.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2014, 05:03:53 AM »
Hello Bob

How did I miss out on this? Must be my aversion to Camels! It's coming along beautifully and I love seeing the pilot in there for a change. Maybe he's thinking how the hell do I control this beast?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2014, 06:52:28 AM »
Many thanks everyone!  Speaking of the pilot, Nigel, he's no doubt wondering not only how to control the beastie, but also how he ever fit in that tiny space to begin with, which brings up a story I forgot to mention in the last post, but I want to give warning to others who add pilot figures.

I was so pleased with my test fit of the pilot until it came time to close up the fuselage, when suddenly all those things I had forgotten about during the test fit--you know, minor details like the instrument panel, machine guns, stuff like that--appeared for installation into the fuselage.  Whoooops!  The knees now blocked the IP, the MGs were under his chin, and nothing seemed to fit anymore!  :o  Ah well . . .   Broke out the trusty razor saw and changed the angle of the legs from the torso, bobbed a few fingers on the left hand, moved the seat back as far as I could and the IP slightly forward and . . . it all fits now!  :D  Those who follow in my footsteps:  learn from my missteps.  Remember all of the "stuff" that goes in front of the pilot when test-fitting.  ::)  All's well that ends well though, so Jan is now safely ensconced in his Camel, albeit he has temporarily lost his wits.  ;)

Regards,

Bob

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2014, 05:31:01 PM »
Hi Bob,

I hope Jan did not suffer to much in the process. I must say at least you have terrific patience modifying all those parts to get the pilot in, which shows you are a first class modeler. Looking so forward to see him in his completed Camel!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2014, 10:08:12 PM »
Well that is devotion to task, Bob.

Lurking away in the background I've got a delightful Tamiya Swordfish, started years and years ago but very much unfinished. Seeing what you had done with the Camel pilot I decided to get it out to see how the three Tamiya provided crew would fit in. Alas with the fuselage framework completed, it's too late without major surgery!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2014, 06:23:35 AM »
Watch out for those Spada decals. They need to be coated with something while they are still on the backing. I coated some with Microscale decal film and couldn't get them to lay down on a flat surface.

Right you are, Rob!  After the debacle with the roundels (transluscence), I thought I would be okay with the white thistle emblem on the fuselage. Wrong! :o  They are perfectly opaque, but the outline of the thistle is printed on white decal paper, meaning that you must cut out a fairly intricate and complex shape with a sharp #11 blade.  I did this.  However, the decals are so thin that it was impossible to slide the intricate pattern of the decal off the backing paper and onto the fuselage.  The decal disintegrated as I tried to slide the backing from underneath! :P  I quickly removed the debris, cleaned up the fuselage surface, and headed to the LHS for some wide kabuki tape from which I will cut a mask and paint the squadron emblem---just like the roundels!  :)  I could try coating the second set of thisle emblems to strengthen the decal, but since I would have to cut the decals out with a blade anyway, I might as well just cut a mask and be done with it!  :D  As others have noted here, painted-on markings usually look better anyway.

So, the Spada decal sheet was good only for inspiration and some reference material.  Ah well, it served it's purpose nicely in that regard, and prompted me to learn some new techniques which will be helpful in the future.  ;) 

More pix soon.  The interplane struts are ready for light oil treatment tonight, so it will be a few days until I can proceed with those.  I will spend the interval adding rigging points where I can and getting the thistle emblem painted onto the fuselage.

Cheers,

Bob

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2014, 09:09:27 AM »
Here is the first mask applied to the right side:

The offending decals are below the fuselage.  I made a xerox of the decal sheet, put a piece of kabuki tape on the cutting mat, taped the xerox of the emblem over the tape, and carefully cut the outline with a fresh #11 blade. 

I'll paint tomorrow.  SWBO and I are heading out to an oldies concert at a local venue in a few minutes: Little River Band and Pure Prairie League.  An evening back in the 70s!  ;D

Regards,

Bob

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2014, 09:23:15 AM »
Very nice recovery Bob! (and a really lovely Model emerging)
Bear with me; what is Kabuki Tape? Is that a brand name or type of product? I keep seeing it here but had never seen it before.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2014, 10:27:40 AM »
Lance:

"Kabuki" tape is a low-tack thin tape made from rice paper in Japan, and is used primarily for masking.  I don't know if it is a brand name, but I use the term generically, like Kleenex.  The tape I used was Tamiya yellow tape, which I understand is made with Kabuki paper.

Thanks for your kind comments!

Regards,

Bob

Offline mgunns

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2014, 12:44:20 PM »
Hi Bob:

SWMBO and I saw Little River band back in November.  Great show, very intimate and they really connect with the audience.  You will enjoy them.  Not a big fan of Pure Prairie Leauge, but I am sure it will be good.
The model is shaping up. I am looking forward to more of your updates.  I am tempted to pull my other one out and do the Muston Camel.  I will see how you progress.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2014, 04:03:01 PM »
Excellent job on the fuselage emblem Bob.  You're making very good
progress.  Hope you had a great time at the concert!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »
Hi Bob,

I'm continuously amazed about the techniques you use and the patience you have to become what you have in mind. Seeing your photo I want to say again that your wooden parts look absolutely amazing. This is going to be a first class a/c. Your log is very inspiring. Great build Bob!

Kind regards
Patrick