Author Topic: 1/32 Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel F.1, Belgian ace Jan Olislagers  (Read 18554 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1/32 Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel F.1, Belgian ace Jan Olislagers
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2013, 12:52:59 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing the pilot painted!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mgunns

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »
Hi Bob:

This kit is really a fun kit to play with.  I enjoyed my build of it, and I basically did it out of the box save for a few things from the spares and some additions to the interior.  Yours is really coming along nicely.  I really like the post shading on the cockades and the rudder.  Really looks the business if you ask me. I like to put figures in my airplanes but to date have not put one in due to the lack of figures, so I will be "doubling" my watching efforts on your build to see how it all fits.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2013, 01:38:26 PM »
Thanks Rick and Mark!  I am very impressed with the PJ Productions seated British pilot figure.  It is well sculpted, to scale and well-proportioned, and offers two head options (goggles up or down), all for under $20.  They make a German pilot too, but I have not seen that one close up. 

I'll get around to painting Jan soon, since I need him in the seat when the fuselage is closed up, I suspect.  The mechanic swinging the prop most likely will be done a bit later.

Thanks for looking in.  I am having fun with this kit.  :D

Regards,

Bob

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2013, 03:54:36 AM »
I am sorry that I have missed this one. Your cockades are absolutely wonderful - exceptionally well done. I have taken to painting them on my models as I find that it frees me from the problems associated with transfers, but I do not use a mask as you have done. Yours are truly professional in standard and I really congratulate you.
The remainder of the build is also very good and I have enjoyed reading it. I will further enjoy the rest of it - cannot wait to see what you do with the cockpit. Keep up an excellent tutorial.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2014, 11:59:31 AM »
Time for another update, before I get my workbench back on Sunday.  ;D  Before proceeding with the pilot figure and cockpit, I pinned the figure together to see how he would fit in the cockpit fuselage space.  All was dry fit and secured by Tamiya tape, including the kit-supplied floor and seat.  He fits rather well!  :D

With the space adequate for the pilot as assembled, I turned to painting the figure.  I tried Vallejo acrylics for the first time, as they seem to be a popular brand for military miniatures.  It's been 30 years since I panted a figure, and never before with acrylics.  I found shading more problematic, and may try oils the next time, although I am generally pleased with the results.

I have several photos of Jan Olislagers in flight togs, but the colors are not clear.  I generally followed color illustrations of RNAS pilots in flight gear, and tried to figure out the shades based on comparative lightness and darkness of the BW photos.  Here are photos of Lieutenant Olislagers:

Here is the painted figure:

The likeness is passable, particularly with the goggles down. ;)  I am satisfied with this outcome, although I may apply a coat of matte fnish, as the scale effect would likely not result in this much shine on the figure. 

The cockpit bits and interior will now be painted and fuselage construction will proceed. 

Regards,

Bob

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2014, 12:04:55 PM »
Great job on the pilot figure Bob, he will look fantastic sitting in the cockpit.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2014, 12:21:32 PM »
Very nice work on the figure! He does indeed bear a close enough resemblance to your subject!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »
Outstanding paint on the pilot Bob. Really nice when installed. I enjoy your build log as much as you enjoy your build. I am so glad to see this extraordinary pilot coming alive. Did you now he was a professional cyclist too? Keep on the great work Bob, it's magnificent!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
Your painting of the pilot figure is very well done, Bob. That's
really a pretty good likeness you have come up with.  Nicely done!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2014, 12:35:32 AM »
Thanks Gents! 

Patrick, thank you for reminding me that it's time to provide a little background on this interesting man, Jan Olieslagers, an aviation pioneer and prolific Belgian pilot who achieved ace status in the service of his country.  His personal history is fascinating, and was covered in detail in an article in "Over the Front," Vol. 28, No. 1, Spring 2013, and can also be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Olieslagers.  His dedication to serving his country is even more impressive.

Here is a summary: As a 14-year old, he worked in a French bike shop and later for a bicycle manufacturer.  He became a professional cycle racer, and then progressed to motorcycles, where his racing earned him the nickname "The Devil of Antwerp."  He set several early motorcycle speed records, including being the first to ride a speed greater than 100 km/hour.  In 1909 he became interested in early aviation and acquired a Bleriot monoplane.  Essentially a self-taught pilot, Olieslagers participated in international flying races and did very well, setting records and matching well against Roland Garros in competitions. 

Upon the invasion of Belgium by Germany on August 1, 1914, Jan Olieslager sent a telegram to the Belgian Secretary of War, as follows: "I am at the disposal of my king and country, with my aeroplanes, car and staff."  He was 31 years old at that time.  His two brothers, Jules and Max, also volunteered.  Jules was an aircraft mechanic and Max was a pilot.  Olieslagers flew his Bleriot on reconnaisance missions in 1914.  The Bleriots were withdrawn for training purposes and replaced with Farman pushers in early 1915.  Olieslagers went on to fly Nieuport 10s and 11s, Hanriot HD.1s and a Sopwith Camel.  He ultimately achieved 6 confirmed victories, 17 unconfirmed victories and possibly many unclaimed victories.  He reportedly was satisfied with depriving the Germans of aircraft, and unconcerned about his personal victory tally, disdaining the paperwork and followup necessary to achieve confirmed "kills."  He was certainly a prolific flyer in the number of sorties and aerial combats, which numbered over 500 and nearly 100, respectively. 

After the war Olieslagers returned to Antwerp and was instrumental in opening a new airport there.  He died of cancer in 1942, at the age of 58.  Reportedly, in open definance of Nazi-occupier regulations, his casket was draped with the Belgian flag and the Belgian national anthem was played at his funeral, as the country honored one of its true heroes.

I was very pleased to be able to locate a set of the Spada decals for Olieslagers' Sopwith Camel, which is beautifully decorated, IMHO.  Although the Belgian cockades did not work out from the decal sheet, the white thislte squadron emblem for the fuselage should be fine, so I will be able to duplicate Lieutenant Olieslagers' Camel in 1/32.  ;D

Thanks for looking in on this build.  Now you know a bit more about the fascinating man and aviation pioneer who inspired it!  :D

Regards,

Bob     

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2014, 01:02:56 AM »
Thank you Bob, this is very informative. I think knowing somewhat about the pilot is very inspiring for the build itself. Your project is really outstanding.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline mgunns

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2014, 01:49:53 AM »
Hi Bob:

Great job on the pilot figure, and yes it does resemble the actual person.  I am going to have to scope out PJ Productions and pick one or two up.  He looks good in the cockpit.  Looking forward to more as you progress.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2014, 05:44:47 AM »
Thanks for the history recap, Bob. I enjoyed it.

With regards to the build, I'm pretty surprised that the pilot fits so nicely in the cockpit. It looks like he grew there! Great work on the painting; I'm convinced.

Lindsay

Offline Zabu

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2014, 05:05:44 AM »
Just catching up.

Great post shading work and figure painting Bob. Like it alot.

Cheers

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2014, 10:59:18 PM »
Hello everyone.  Although I have not posted in a bit, I have been working on the Camel.  It just took some time for the oils to dry on the wooden portions of the fuselage.  As you can see, I have completed painting of the fuselage, save for gloss coating the green portion for application of the squadron emblem decal:

The wing and forward fuselage cover are just test fit for show.   I am happy with the way this turned out.  The pilot is headless for now because it was easier to mask that way, and because I want to get the head orientation correct for the vignette when the airframe is up on its legs--with the pilot looking at the mechanic who is about to swing the prop.

The engine is complete (you can see it sitting on the bench just in front of the fuselage), but nothing special, just OOB with some paint and dirt, as much of it will be hidden by the cowling.  I have been working on the struts and cabanes, and will be painting those soon.  I am essentially following the build log Des has over on the main site (thanks Des, I would be lost without it!), but without some of the extra detail.  As Des notes, the struts have a odd sort of doghnut-like foot at the ends which fit into a slot in the wing.  I've adjusted those per Des's log, and I hope they will fit properly. 

More soon.  Running out of parts on the sprues, and getting close to the home stretch!  ;D

Regards,

Bob