Author Topic: 1/32 Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel F.1, Belgian ace Jan Olislagers  (Read 18289 times)

Offline IFF1418

Re: 1/32 Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel F.1, Belgian ace Jan Olislagers
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »
Hi Bob,

Totally agree with Rick. It is a pitty that the wing struts are too short, but with your talents I'm sure that you will overcome this problem. The first photo looks terrific. Such a nice build. Good luck!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2014, 07:18:50 PM »
She really looks good with the cabanes on, Bob.  That's a shame about the
interplane struts...funny setup. I wonder if fashioning new top & bottom pieces
from scrap styrene would work?  I'm enjoying the build and by the way, that's a
cool jig you have.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2014, 07:36:15 PM »
Shame about the interplane struts Bob, hope you get them sorted, but a great build.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2014, 09:56:27 PM »
Thanks everyone!  That's an interesting idea Ernie.  I think I'll give it a go, since we are a bit snow and icebound here n South Central PA right now, and I may not be able to get to the LHS for strut stock for a few days anyway.  Thanks for the thought!  ;D

Cheers,

Bob   

Offline mgunns

« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2014, 06:28:50 AM »
Hi Bob:

This is looking really sweet!  I can only imagine your frustration with the interplane struts!  I cheated on mine.  I filled those spaces with putty, trimmed 'em a bit, painted 'em black, drilled holes for the eyelets and called it good.  It has the look.  I did enter it in the contest, but it more for display and show it off.   I really like the way this Belgian scheme is coming along and am looking forward to seeing the final product.   

Take care, stay warm

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2014, 10:45:18 PM »
Mark, that is probably what I should have done--the length would have worked out fine in that case. 

Ernie, I took a look at extending the finished kit struts with scrap, but quickly concluded that it would be far more troublesome than making new ones and, as you will see below, there were other good reasons to opt for new fabrication.

My mistake may have turned out for the best, even if it slowed me down a bit.  I looked at my WNW Pup instructions regarding the color of the strut brackets, and noticed the the struts on the pup were wider, front to back, than the kit struts from the Hobbycraft Camel.  That struck me as odd.  I checked against my 1/32 Camel drawings, and the kit struts were confirmed as too narrow.  Armed with this information, I made it to the LHS and got a pack of Evergreen .060 x .100 strip styrene.  In a surprisingly short period of time (about an hour or so) I had four new struts that fit well:

Back in business!  The top wing appears to sit properly and well-aligned on the cabanes and new interplane struts.  I still have to add a pitot tube to the right front strut, then it's off to the paintshop.  The oils drying will take a few days, but that's fine as long as I have well-fitting struts.  :D  I'll finish rigging the tail in the meantime.

I agree with Des and others who have commented on this kit--it is not bad with a little extra work and patience.  I have not found any of the fixes aggravating or troublesome--they just require a little extra time--and I have enjoyed this build so far.  In the home stretch now!  ;D

Regards,

Bob

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2014, 11:11:17 PM »
Very well done Bob, glad that you have overcome these problems and in the meantime corrected the shape of the struts. Great job!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline mgunns

« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2014, 01:04:05 AM »
I agree with Des and others who have commented on this kit--it is not bad with a little extra work and patience.  I have not found any of the fixes aggravating or troublesome--they just require a little extra time--and I have enjoyed this build so far.  In the home stretch now!  ;D

Regards,

Bob

Hello Bob:

It isn't a bad kit, and......you will have a Camel in your collection!!  How cool is that?   ;)
Mark

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2014, 02:14:55 AM »
Nice work on the struts! I am looking forward to seeing that wing mounted!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2014, 06:00:54 PM »
You have done well with the struts, Bob.  You were right to fabricate the new ones.
Great job!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2014, 07:15:05 AM »
Excellent fix with the struts Bob, it won't be long before you get to my best part of the build, the rigging  :) :)

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2014, 12:29:58 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Mark, you are so right--it will be very cool having a Camel on the shelf, particularly this one with the Belgian Air Service markings of Lt. Olieslagers.   ;D

Thanks again to Des for his build log on the main site--it has been an invaluable reference for building this kit!

I finished rigging the tail, then added the rigging lines to the bottom of the top wing.  I got the interplane struts out of the drying box and painted the fittings and added BvB's eyelets and a new pitot tube.  The top wing actually went on to the cabanes very well, and after that was dry I added the interplane struts.  All went well!  ;D  I spent yesterday doing the rigging without serious incident other than the usual attrition of tiny brass tubes sacrificed to the carpet monster.  ;)  It came out really well, I think, even the little teardrop vibration dampener above the MGs.  I used monofilament for most of the rigging, but will try EZ-line for the aileron control cables (still to be added), to reduce the pressure on my homemade control horns.  I'll take pix once I have the wheels on, maybe tonight.  :D

Once I add the landing gear (and rig it) and the prop, the aircraft itself will be done.  I still have to assemble and paint the mechanic swinging the prop, which must await the properly sitting aircraft in order to position the hands correctly on the prop.  I have the materials for the base, so the vignette should not take too long to assemble.  :)  Almost there!

Regards,

Bob     

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2014, 02:00:29 AM »
Hi Bob, really looking forward to see this beauty finished. This is a great build!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline mgunns

« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2014, 05:59:29 AM »
Hi Bob, really looking forward to see this beauty finished. This is a great build!

Kind regards
Patrick

Me Too!

Mark

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2014, 10:41:22 AM »
Excellent work, Bob.  I'm impressed with the Belgian markings as well, not just the roundels but the personal markings, which really lift this scheme out of the ordinary. 

That's a good save with the struts.  Not long now until we'll see it with the wings attached?

Cheers.

Dal.