Author Topic: 1/32 Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel F.1, Belgian ace Jan Olislagers  (Read 18416 times)

Offline rhallinger

Re: 1/32 Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel F.1, Belgian ace Jan Olislagers
« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2014, 09:46:22 PM »
Okay folks, here she is finished on the bench, except for some weathering chalks I'll add to the wheels:

I have posted a fair number of photos here, because the final product will be included in a vignette scene, rather than in Completed Models.  Rigging is mostly monofilament with Bob's Buckles equipment for the turnbuckles and eyelets.  I find this rigging approach, as described in a tutorial on the main site, to be the most effective an easiest method to achieve good results.  It's just very comfortable for me.  However, I did try something new with the aileron control lines between the wings.  I had added my own brass horns with bits of tube on top, so I thought I would use EZ-Line to keep these taught while reducing stress on the horns.  I think it worked well and am pleased with the experiment, although I did lose one tube through handling during the general rigging process, and had to just CA the line to the top of the horn.  That worked out fine.  :D

She looks like a Camel to me!  I am very pleased with how she came out.  The Hobbycraft/Academy kit was a nice build even with its quirks that I have noted along the way.  This was an enjoyable build even with the extra time necessary for corrections and fixes.  I found it less taxing than the average Roden kit--the parts fit was better, I think.  My biggest problem area was the cabane strut fit/positioning, but that's true of every non-WNW kit I've ever built.  Other than that, things went together rather well.  I must again thank Des for his very helpful bulld log on the main site, and highly recommend it as a primer and guide for anyone tackling this kit.  With a little extra work, you get a very nice looking Camel for your collection.  As Mark observed--how cool is that?!  ;D 

I am also quite happy with the way the pilot figure came out.  The PJ Productions figure is very nice, and fit in the cockpit with some surgery to reposition limbs.  Adding a seated figure to a cockpit is a tricky proposition, but it worked here. The PJ instructions say the figure is for an SE5, so maybe the fit would be better in those kits.

The Spada decals were an iinspiration and a good reference, but were otherwise a disappointment as decals.  The cockades are not opaque and the PC10 shows through, making them useless.  The thistle I found to be impossible to get off the backing paper without the very thin decal disintegrating because of the intricate design which must be cut out befor applying, and the green triangles for the cowling simply do not fit.  The only decals I ended up using were the green stabilizer flashes and the black rudder codes.  Nonetheless, this disadvantage was turned to advantage by the necessity of having to paint the markings!  One of the most valuable parts of this build for me was learning to use the circle cutter to make masks to paint cockades, and confirmng that I could cut a decent mask of an intricate outline like the thistle by hand with a fresh #11 blade.   As an added advantage, I think Von Buckle has been inspired to use his vinyl cutter to offer up cockade masks!  What will they think of next?  ;)

This project is not finished yet.  I need to prepare the vignette base and paint the mechanic swinging the prop.  That should all be done by the weekend (we've got the weekly snowstorm coming in tonight, another foot or so, so I'll be off work tomorrow--extra modeling time between shoveling out!).  I'll post the final vignette photos over in Aircraft Dioramas.

Thanks for sharing this project with me and for all of the support.  I am very pleased to add Lt. Olieslager's Sopwith Camel to my collection and to share his very interesting story with you.

Regards,

Bob 

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2014, 09:59:06 PM »
Hello Bob, many wholehearted congratulations for your magnificent build. It appeals very much to me, the more as I see for the first time the Belgian markings on a model. Your log was so nice to follow, your patience and skills extraordinary. You made it one of my favourite builds. If I may could I print some of your photo's to pin on the wall?

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline mgunns

« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2014, 11:15:41 PM »
Hello Bob:

Another inspiring piece of modeling!  This turned out really nice.  Your perseverance to do a Belgian Camel, in spite of the shortcomings of the decals is truly noteworthy.  The cowlings and tail feathers really make this stand out.
Outstanding Bob!

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2014, 11:27:43 PM »
She's a beauty! Thanks for the interesting and entertaining build log too.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2014, 11:54:48 PM »
Patrick, Mark and Rob:  Thanks so much for your kind comments and support.  I am glad others are enjoying this one as much as I did, and I learned a few things to improve my modeling along the way!  ;)

Patrick, feel free to print any photos you want.  If you need more information to do that, just ask, but I think if you click on a photo you will get a dropdown menu with a print option.  I'll try to take some better shots when I get the vignette scene finished as well.  I, too, really enjoy the Belgian markings on this Camel.  Now, we just need a Hanriot from WNW!  ;D

Regards,

Bob

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2014, 12:21:59 AM »
Beautiful job Bob! For a Kit that's not noted to be an easy nor great Build you've really brought it into a different league. It's crisp, clean, and the Belgian markings and that green trim make it a very unique model. Congratulations on a very fine Build, I enjoyed following your progress and look forward to seeing her in the vignette setting.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2014, 12:25:17 AM »
I need the help of the Forum regarding a question about the thistle emblem of the 1st Escadrille of the Belgian Air Service, as depicted on the fuselage of this Camel.  Wikipedia tells us the following:

"The 1re Escadrille de Chasse was founded in February 1916 as the first dedicated squadron of the Aviation Militaire Belge. It drew upon the men and equipment of the previously existing provisional Escadrille I. In August 1917, upon receiving the new Hanriot-Dupont 1 aircraft, the first version of the famous “Thistle” symbol was designed by André de Meulemeester as the squadron's insignia, to be painted on the aircraft. He also selected the squadron motto “Nemo me impune lacessit” or “No-one can challenge me unpunished”. In March 1918, it would be reorganized into the 9ème Escadrille."

This tells us who created the emblem and when, but not why the thistle was chosen.  The thistle is traditionally an emblem of Scotland.  Is there some connection to Belgium that I am unaware of?  My reseach has turned up nothing on this question.  Just curious.  Can anyone help out with this question?  Thanks.

Interestingly, the thisle has remained the emblem of the 1st Squadron of the Belgian Air Force to the present day.  :D

Regards,

Bob

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2014, 12:34:38 AM »
Hallo,
yes the thistle is the emblem of Scotland but I guess in this case it was chosen because it' has got spikes on its stem so if you try to make it any harm you get stings on your fingers.
This is my opinion descending from the motto...

I haven't read it but I think it works as an explanation

Antonio

PS I love your Camel...

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2014, 12:37:08 AM »
Hmmmm . . . good thought Antonio!  Makes sense to me.  ;D

Cheers,

Bob

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2014, 12:45:49 AM »
Thanks Bob,
I think there is no strict relation to Scotland neither to Belgium, the thistle is such a common weed all over Europe.
In the countryside here around Bari (Southern Italy, Adriatic Bank) we have a lot of thistles we use to eat cooking them in many ways...

Of course after peeling the spikes off  otherwise "Nemo me impune lacessit" should have turned into "Nemo me impune edit" “No-one can eat me unpunished”   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2014, 12:50:07 AM »
Hi Bob,

Maybe in this link you could find something.

http://www.belgian-wings.be/webpages/navigator/news/special%20features/90%20years%201squadron%20stingers/90%20years%201%20squadron.htm

Thank you for letting me print your photo's

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2014, 01:36:55 AM »
Bob,
You have created a  beautifully finished Camel.
The subtle shading, masked markings, rigging and even the bloke sitting in the cockpit all add to a great looking bird - well done!

What next?

VB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2014, 03:00:06 AM »
Thanks so much Patrick!  ;D  Mystyery solved.  That is such an interesting website.  Of course, now I want to build a Farman.  ;)

BvB, thanks for your kind words.  As for what's next, I'm trying to decide between a WNW DH-2, and a scratch-built 1/32 Sopwith Tabloid, which would obviously have to be Lt. Marix's machine from the Dusseldorf Raid.  Maybe I'll just do them in that order.  ;D  Opinions?

Cheers,

Bob

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2014, 04:31:44 AM »
Go with the Tabloid  ;)
You know it makes sense!

:)
VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/