Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 430351 times)

Offline petrov27

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #2175 on: May 12, 2017, 09:51:46 PM »
Well, I suppose if the "trio" approach is not liked people will speak with their wallets. On the other hand, if you go in with one or two other buyers on one of the Jasta 5 boxings or buy it and sell off the extra two kits, it seems like it might be a good savings and reasonable purchase?
-Patrick

Offline Russell

« Reply #2176 on: May 12, 2017, 10:28:39 PM »
Although the triple format isn't very appealing to me I do welcome the re-release of out of production kits though - in any format.

The mythical 'special edition' kits show no sign of appearing even with the gradual re-release of kits; probably just as well as we now have a healthy selection of resin, photo-etch, 3D printed parts to enhance the models anyway.

Regards
Russell   

Online macsporran

« Reply #2177 on: May 12, 2017, 11:38:24 PM »
It's not Peter Jackson's style to drag something out just so he can make a trilogy of it, is it? ;)

Ouch, that one found its target.
A hit, a very palpable hit. :)

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2178 on: May 13, 2017, 12:22:02 AM »
Using my crystal ball, I see a Sopwith trio (Pup, Triplane & Camel or Snipe, wait a quad?) in our future.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2179 on: May 13, 2017, 12:26:11 AM »
    Alistair has provided an excellent perspective on this, the latest version of creative marketing, provided by the Wingnut Wings Group. It will, like the brilliant Duellist theme, work like a "hot damn"! The bulging cupboard phenomenon is alive and doing well in most of our cases I suspect. I won't be popping for the triple Albie set, I already have three stashed in that notorious cupboard! However, if I didn't have a tactical reserve of Albies I'd be all over this opportunity for a second chance at them with Petrov 27's sell off option as part of the logic.
   Whatever works for WNW works for me, they are still (by a long shot) our best purveyor of large scale subjects and until another source enters the equation they have my vote and wallet as well. I'm just happy that Canadian distributers have been established; things were looking pretty grim until then!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #2180 on: May 13, 2017, 01:05:40 AM »
Perhaps a trio of DVIIs?  The one thing the German planes have is a very wide variety of schemes.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #2181 on: May 13, 2017, 01:10:52 AM »
It's not Peter Jackson's style to drag something out just so he can make a trilogy of it, is it? ;)

Ha - yeah a bit true, but for my perspective he coulda drawn the Hobbit out to 10 movies if it meant more revenue in his pocket to fund Wingnut Wings future subjects :)
-Patrick

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #2182 on: May 13, 2017, 01:15:07 AM »
I was lucky to build one Albatros D.V. And it is enough for me. So I partly share Graham's feeling. But as for LVG I welcome the recent release, especially that I will build a pair of Camels, too.
Well, we live in the world of constant changes and news. And the news is that Albatros is re-released. With a new attractive boxart. And a new WNW kit format - after single kits and duellists we see the birth of trilogy(-ies?). With this release I see a chance for further ones in the line. How about a triple Sopwith Triplane package with a pack of markings from Black Flight? Or DH.2s from 24th or 32nd RFC Squadron?
   And/or another issuance of an RE8(s) however packaged! Please, please, please.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #2183 on: May 13, 2017, 08:04:43 AM »
Oh well, looks like I'm alone with this one. All this double, triple-kitting is fine for those with bulging wallets and fat credit cards. I'm steadily working through my collection of WNW kits - with two stalled/set-aside because of botched construction (one of them the LVG) so I don't see myself as a hoarder/collector, either.
I totally agree though with the view that it is clever marketing.
Also the comment about the "Trilogy"- choice! ;) I live in NZ and am sick of the whole LOTR/Hobbit stuff and the way that NZ has culturally appropriated it (an accusation they happily throw at other people) and am proud to say that I have never watched any of the overblown rubbish!

I will still buy WNW kits - at my rate of one or two a year but their latest wangles have left another bad taste in my mouth.
Cheers
GrahamB

Offline petrov27

« Reply #2184 on: May 13, 2017, 08:39:35 AM »
Again, I have seen numerous folks splitting and sharing the "doubles" between them and in the end getting the kits cheaper than the singular sales - why not view that as a good option instead of as some evil conspiracy to line Peter's pockets or to please only those with "bulging wallets and credit cards"?

Also it does not seem to mean we will never see them released as singles again - heck the Fokker that was just re-released was only a single - they could easily have released that as a double or triple and did not. And they even offer option parts now by-sprue so you can modify it to other variants.

Or not - obviously your choice - just personally trying to look at the positives :)

-Patrick

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #2185 on: May 13, 2017, 09:00:02 AM »
Oh well, looks like I'm alone with this one. All this double, triple-kitting is fine for those with bulging wallets and fat credit cards. I'm steadily working through my collection of WNW kits - with two stalled/set-aside because of botched construction (one of them the LVG) so I don't see myself as a hoarder/collector, either.
I totally agree though with the view that it is clever marketing.
Also the comment about the "Trilogy"- choice! ;) I live in NZ and am sick of the whole LOTR/Hobbit stuff and the way that NZ has culturally appropriated it (an accusation they happily throw at other people) and am proud to say that I have never watched any of the overblown rubbish!

I will still buy WNW kits - at my rate of one or two a year but their latest wangles have left another bad taste in my mouth.
Cheers
GrahamB
Hi Graham
I live not far from you and will be getting the Trilogy Albatros set. If you would like to have one of the kits for 1/3 the total price and your pick of 10 out of 11 decals then you could be in! Only possible drawback is that Josef Mai's Crescent and star is mine.I could even arrange to drop it off to you with a trip up the coast from Tawa. Let me know this interests you.

I regard the LOTR and Hobbit movies as having financed The Vintage Aviator Ltd and WNW so I'm a big supporter!

Regards James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #2186 on: May 13, 2017, 10:47:04 AM »
Your interest has been noted Justin ;-) Hold that thought until the kit has been released.
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Russell

« Reply #2187 on: May 13, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »
I live in NZ and am sick of the whole LOTR/Hobbit stuff and the way that NZ has culturally appropriated it (an accusation they happily throw at other people) and am proud to say that I have never watched any of the overblown rubbish!

An informed opinion of the films then - great ;)

That aside, I too would have preferred a single release of the DV / DVa (with or without new marking options) but on the other hand as I wrote earlier it's good to see some OOP kits back again - thus avoiding the need to pay over the odds on eBay.

Regards
Russell

Offline OEFFAG 153

• Just another Wingnutter
    • Terfors Creative
« Reply #2188 on: May 13, 2017, 07:53:39 PM »
Buy, or don't buy, that is up to each and everyone (and their wallet) to decide. Most of us has to make a choice based on what we want the most and what we can afford.

I have to say I find some of these discussions rather strange. How much money do you think WnWs are making and how much do you think they have spent so far releasing newly tooled kits? With all the costs involved in bringing a new product onto the market I suspect this balance is rather tilted towards the red. Profit margins in the hobby industry are not that high, and as a major producer, you would have to sell thousands of kits from one tool. Add to that, WnWs were practically giving them away during the first years, well...

Of course WnW has to find ways to recoup this cost – they have rightly identified that the Albatros and the Fokker DVIIs are major hits, and they intend to make enough money on them so that they can sustain and develop other types, that perhaps will not sell like hot cake. Or would we rather they did not develop, say a B.E 2 or the Taube for that matter, which I suspect will not be quite as popular? Like everyone else they need to pay their staffs wages – just be happy they're not only producing "for sure blockbusters"!

Now, on with some modeling, and by the way a Sopwith Dolphin would be very nice!

/Mikael

Building the WnW Hansa W.12 and Junkers D.1.

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #2189 on: May 13, 2017, 10:37:22 PM »
I was actually hoping at one point that WNW would release some planes in relation to their place in the 100 year date range. I guess in some ways it's doing that but sort of backwards.